Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

When VRS owners find that they've had a 25% drop in power (the results of an auto mag dyno-ing a car after tricking it into test mode) they no longer have the 'performance' car they purchased and therefore not the car they purchased, at which point should Skoda start giving people refunds?

And where is the EVIDENCE that there is going to be any drop in power?

Or are you just scaremongering?

As I said, an auto mag managed to get a polo into test mode and ran a dyno, the bhp dropped about 25% However this is still all speculation as there's no way to know if they're just going to put all cars into test mode, which I doubt.

I ain't scaremongering, but there is no way they can lower emissions without lowering something else, be it power or economy, without making some drastic changes to the engines to put them in line with EURO6 engines, and as they're saying it's only going to be a software update on 2.0tdi engines, that isn't going to happen.

The test fiddle which got VW into trouble in the case of my car would have shown acceptable NOx simply by ensuring the EGR stayed active more than any other time.

No wonder it's a simple ECU fix for mine.

Rec.d my first official notification from Skoda confirming my 1.6 is affected .No other info other than they are working on a solution and I will be informed in due course.

When the fix is made public I will weigh up the pros and cons then and not before.

My official letter arrived from Skoda this morning confirming my car is affected by the 'emissions issue'. Quoted Reg number, Chassis number (VIN) and Engine type EA189.

"Technical solutions are currently being developed and the matter is being worked upon with the utmost priority. We will contact you again when the technical solution is available, to confirm the next steps......."

No indication of time scales for the 'fix' as yet, or what it might be.

(Yeti 2.0TDI 4x4 2014 Facelift)

Dave

Edited by Smokeyjoe
  • Like 1

This is causing incontinence as well?

Will VW start retro-fitting commodes in place of the more usual seats?

Lol apple spell check but nicer than inconvienve ?

However on a serious not apparently vw will now concentrate their time and money on hybrid and lecky vehicles rather than diesel ! The diesel is dead ? Long live the amp !

My letter arrived this morning.

I just wish the information was out now, having a remapped VRS makes me very worried about what their work will do or even if they'll do it having found the remap.

Though the car is mine and I'm allowed to do what I want to it, the work doesn't require it to be under warranty which a remap would break, so there shouldn't be a problem, I just don't want to have to pay for ANOTHER remap from shark after they do the work...

Surely Shark and other mappers offer free re-flash in the event of an inadvertent wipe by dealers?

They do. I had mine replaced after it got wiped at its last service. I now have an STS unit - not available when it was originally remapped last summer - which I'm assuming will work for these changes too. I'll probably go back to Shark again anyway, once Skoda have done what they need to, to have the latest ECU map put on the STS as the standard. I might get another dyno run just to see what impact it's had.

When VRS owners find that they've had a 25% drop in power (the results of an auto mag dyno-ing a car after tricking it into test mode) they no longer have the 'performance' car they purchased and therefore not the car they purchased, at which point should Skoda start giving people refunds?

Which Auto mag - UK or US?

If it is US then you can probably ignore it as irrelevant to you in S Yorkshire, UK.  The emissions specs are different and the chances are your 2.0 VRS car will probably not need an increased level of emissions control to meet them (regardless of what it puts out in the real worlds).

Take many cars and have on Traction Control and Electronic stability control and Spin the Drive Wheels and the sensors will pick up wheel spin and differences at the 4 corners and may cut power and reduce drive to the drive wheels.

Same can happen on a Dynamic Dyno /Rolling road.   So Switch off the Traction Control, disable some safety measures that the car has,

Maybe Use a Hub Dyno to get the power read outs.

Nothing much is happening that we do not know can happen.

http://carsguide.com.au/car-advice/stability-control-and-traction-control-do-you-need-them-34179

Lol apple spell check but nicer than inconvienve ?

However on a serious not apparently vw will now concentrate their time and money on hybrid and lecky vehicles rather than diesel ! The diesel is dead ? Long live the amp !

I agree with you about the inevitable move to Hybrids and the death of diesel - I do hope that isn't another Apple typo ;)

As I said, an auto mag managed to get a polo into test mode and ran a dyno, the bhp dropped about 25% However this is still all speculation as there's no way to know if they're just going to put all cars into test mode, which I doubt.

I ain't scaremongering, but there is no way they can lower emissions without lowering something else, be it power or economy, without making some drastic changes to the engines to put them in line with EURO6 engines, and as they're saying it's only going to be a software update on 2.0tdi engines, that isn't going to happen.

VAG have not announced what the "fix" is going to be so how some magasine has done it is extremely debatable (and probably wrong!).

Therefore this is all speculation and you are scaremongering.

VW has been working on this issue before managed to develop Euro 6 tdi. So, they know how. In a worst case scenario for them. they will make copy/paste solution applying it to "euro 5" engines, but that is very expensive hardware solution and most probably they are trying to reduce costs, so trying to find "good enough solution" to fix problem

Has any one else with a diesel received a latter from Skoda UK re this?

I have also been n touch with the dealers and heard the same reply, Skoda are working on this problem and you will receive a letter from us regarding the service update when we know

There is no need for you to take any immediate action

HOWEVER, A SERVICE ACTION INCLUDING YOUR CAR WILL BE REQUIRED TO RECTIFY THIS ISSUE.  Technical solutions are currently being developed and the matter is worked on with priority

We will contact you again when the solution is available to confirm the next steps please be assured this is at no cost to you and we will do out best to minimise any the inconvinence to you

Yeah, just came in from work to a lovely letter from Skoda, mine is a 2014 1.6tdi

Just have to wait and see what they come up with as a viable fix/solution

As long as it doesn't affect performance/economy or reliability I won't really be bothered

9ef33275d708e6cbf933ec5151b49223.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Received twin letters today; one for me and the Ibiza, and one for Mrs Pasty's A3 both feature the CR140 TDI engine.

In all honesty I hadn't paid that much attention to all the coverage (and haven't read the 66 pages of this thread) as i assumed it was newer models that were affected. I guess I was wrong. 

Am i bothered? Don't think so

Have i ever matched the quoted consumption figures? Nope

Did I ever expect to match the quoted consumption figures?  Nope

Does it make me smile when the car is tricked by the tuning box and thinks it's doing a regular 70+mpg? Yes

Is this really any different? nope

• Like 3