Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

...first petrol engine:

Tuesday’s findings over carbon dioxide emissions, and petrol-fuelled cars, are understood to involve smaller 1.4-litre engines, mostly in the VW Polo and Golf, as well some Seat and Skoda cars, and the Audi A1 and A3.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/11973635/VW-emissions-scandal-spreads-to-petrol-engines.html

Edited by 67igor1

The reports seem to show the new Bugatti is still on course!

At last something reasonable to trade-in on......perfect for the shopping trips.

• Like 1

We're having a 'driverless car' demonstration next Sat on Melbourne's Eastlink tollway.....so NOT looking forward to it.

Being a Volvo I expect lower NOx emissions........phew back OT

• Like 1

We're having a 'driverless car' demonstration next Sat on Melbourne's Eastlink tollway.....so NOT looking forward to it.

It's your thread, you're allowed

Apparently the 1.4 ACT engines involved.    (Which Skoda UK has not got yet so odd Skoda mentioned at all to me).

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/vw-emissions-scandal-vw-admits-800000-cars-have-false-co2-and-mpg-certification

The Volkswagen Group has been plunged into further crisis after admitting that up to 800,000 petrol and diesel-powered cars have had their CO2 and mpg ratings wrongly certified.

In a statement, VW revealed: "Under the ongoing review of all processes and workflows in connection with diesel engines it was established that the CO2 levels and thus the fuel consumption figures for some models were set too low during the CO2 certification process. The majority of the vehicles concerned have diesel engines."  It also pledged to "immediately start a dialoge with the responsible type approval agencies regarding the consequences of these findings". The statement also described the situation as a "not yet fully explained issue".  A VW spokesman has confirmed that the latest scandal affects AudiSeatSkoda and VW cars with what are described as "small" engines. Reports suggest that cars powered by the 1.4-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with Cylinder On Demand technology are affected. Further reports suggest that VW BlueMotion diesel models with three and four-cylinder diesel engines are also affected.

• Like 1

Right, just got out of bed and am catching up on this.  As regards the 1.4 litre engines now implicated.  Is it just the 4 cylinder?  Is my 3 cylinder 1.4 litre Fabia free from corruption? 

I am getting properly confused by all this.   :wall:  :o

Right, just got out of bed and am catching up on this.  As regards the 1.4 litre engines now implicated.  Is it just the 4 cylinder?  Is my 3 cylinder 1.4 litre Fabia free from corruption? 

It seems so....the 3 gets a mention

It seems so....the 3 gets a mention

Now I'm even more confused!  If my 3 cylinder Fabia 3 1.4TDI "gets a mention" does that mean it is implicated or is it in the clear?

:sweat:   :S

Doubt it, I mentioned way back on this thread the test of some 200 Euro6 cars to the new future emissions regs, 195 cars failed, Volvo, Renault, Hyundi were the three worst offenders...............

As I suspected, my 1.4lt 140ps is not mentioned!.............non ACT version...................... :D .....................

Looks like VAG are re-checking all the engines which are "pushing the emissions" to fit in certain tax brackets.................mine does 121g/km the ACT version is 112g/km..................for the same engine apart from the ACT camhead & an extra 10PS extra from the same turbo/block etc...............sounded too good to me

Basically the bigger/simpler engines in all versions appear to be unaffected because of basic design, where they have to extract more from less & get more complex then the benefits are "forced".

Like I have also said before, if VAG are having to do this to meet the test requirements then what about all the other car makers?

Have the US authorities published other manufactures results since the VW fiasco? Or are all home grown etc completely"Clean"?

No, all the other manufacturers are running around & covering their tracks whilst everyone is kicking VAG...............

Just look at the news item about the Euro6 Vauxhalls failing the tests also (buried).........besides the other Vauxhalls which put out huge amounts of pollutants when you turn the heater up to max...................

I think I would be jumping up & down demanding my money back/compensation etc if I had one off those cars......& yet people are really kicking VAG & having a go...................

VAG share price down 10% this morning................still wondering who is trying to buy them out (what public shares there are available as most is privately or state owned).......I wonder if Chrysler are behind this continued kicking session due to the failed buy out by VAG last year.................

• Like 1

Completely agree with the above,when are the results from all other car makers to be made public,err probably because the motor industry and governments are trying to keep a lid on it.

In the U.S. it was VW who promoted the introduction of 'clean (light) diesels' which, for americans, is somewhat of a novelty.

It's a matter of comparing apples with apples......Europe is where the 'comparative' emissions issue is yet to be exposed.

• Like 1

Interesting on the 1.4 TSI 140Ps in the Golf Estate having the given by VW figures of CO2 122g/km

Considering the lighter Euro 5 Seat Ibiza 1.4TSI FR 150ps (Twincharger) DSG on 215/40R 17 tyres was and is 139g/km

It is the VW way.  'Pick a figure any figure',  then run with it, nobody checks, not even Journalist road testers,

They read the 'Press Pack',  never bother to Weigh the cars, check the spec in many cases.

*Volkswagen would never lie or cheat.*

Same engine, gearbox, drivetrain, but the VW / Audi will have better figures than the Skoda / Seat even if the VW/ Audi is heavier.

So might weigh more, but will have better MPG, lower CO2, lower VED class,

faster 0-62, and a higher top speed.

Only tenths of seconds or 1 or 2 MPH, and MPG, but the premium brand must be better, it costs more!

Pick a figure any figure.

Launch a car, give it a Kerb Weight, do the EU Testing, get the Emissions and MPG, 

publish them, have the VED class, then the cars sold get optional extras,

Spare Wheels, Leather Interiors, then a 5 Door Model where as a 3 door was tested as only available at launch.

So the models on the road are no place near the same Kerb Weight as the cars that were tested,

the one model with 3,000 km on the engine.

(Then later, correct the Kerb Weight, be made to add or change the driver weight allowance but keep the CO2 Emission Figures. & the VED Class)

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

3 cars here in the video as an example.

VW Polo GTI & Seat Ibiza Cupra weighs more than the Skoda,

but the Skoda has 25kg ballast on the rear crash bar because that was the Skoda idea of being 'Green'  add weight,

& a Spare wheel as Standard and 205 tyres rather than 215 on the VW & Seat,

Yet the VW here is a VED Class lower, and 2 years later when new engines went in the Seat and Skoda 

the Seat dropped to the same VED as the VW and Audi A1 185ps that had been launched,

the Skoda VED stayed the same a higher VED class.

Not something that a Professional Road Tester / Journalist would ask Volkswagen to explain though.

Haha all the people who were defending VW and saying its all speculation at the beginning, Calling people scaremonger's, liars, conspiracist's who were out to suck VW dry of compensation for something that was probably just a misunderstanding and being blown out of all proportion' have gone quiet! Well if you were one of the ones who thought this was a storm in a teacup or people were making a mountain out of a mole hill then I think you should go back to read what you wrote and eat humble pie. I think that its still the tip of the iceberg and the truth will never be known in its entirety but customers are rightly aggrieved at this level of deception. The more that comes out just indicates that this business is rotten to the core. The German Government has had a hand in this they will either distance themselves from it and let VW take the wrap or deals will be done behind closed doors and this scandal will miraculously disappear swept under the carpet.

• Like 2