VW Emissions Scandal Thread V2

Outofthi5world

17 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

There is one very significant conclusion to be drawn from this, ie that Mercedes will CONTINUE to make diesels and only not to sell them in America ( where they may well be under suspicion anyway ), so diesel may well have a future after all if an august manufacturer as Mercedes intends to continue with them, and probably engage in research and development?.

Just now, Tony R said:

There is one very significant conclusion to be drawn from this, ie that Mercedes will CONTINUE to make diesels and only not to sell them in America ( where they may well be under suspicion anyway ), so diesel may well have a future after all if an august manufacturer as Mercedes intends to continue with them, and probably engage in research and development?.

Horses for courses 

• 2 weeks later...

Volkswagen’s Skoda subsidiary is also feeling the squeeze in the UK, where its Octavia model’s permit originates. British authorities threatened to block the permit, forcing a complete recall, unless Skoda compensated duped consumers. VW fended off that expensive demand, but London’s fall-back position is equally unpalatable for Skoda: a lifetime guarantee on engines modified to meet emissions targets. That has left the VW subsidiary in a difficult position: refusal to go along means the Octavia has no permission to be on the roads; go along and they are opening the floodgates to similar guarantee demands from elsewhere in Europe. Considering that VW/Skoda engineers don’t know the long-term effects of their engine modifications, the Dieselgate aftershocks could be very expensive indeed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/berlin-gets-the-better-of-brussels-in-dieselgate-row-1.3068880

Heard today somewhere,maybe a  News programme, the question the thousands of premature deaths  turns out to be the deaths are premature by an average of THREE DAYS. Talk about a lot of fuss over nothing!

millser, what permit for the Octavia originates from the UK?

What London 'fall back position'?  Do you mean the UK Governments?

Where are you getting the stuff from just this linked article from the Irish Times?

Is this Type Approval that is being threatened to be removed or what kind of Permit.

I would love to see the UK Government removing 'Hard working families and individuals means of transport and the vehicle that they use to earn their living or to get to their place of work'. 

The UK Government are well aware of what was going on and what they have allowed to go on since.

The Minister for Transport from before the scandal broke and since was made a Lord and now is Chairman of the Conservative & Unionist Party. He who has been involved with Transport or Industry in the UK since the days of Margaret Thatcher.

Edited by Awayoffski

9 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

No idea what they mean by permits, just quoted from the article

9 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Where are you getting the stuff from just this linked article from the Irish Times?

Is this Type Approval that is being threatened to be removed or what kind of Permit.

I would love to see the UK Government removing 'Hard working families and individuals means of transport and the vehicle that they use to earn their living or to get to their place of work'. 

The UK Government are well aware of what was going on and what they have allowed to go on since.

The Minister for Transport from before the scandal broke and since was made a Lord and now is Chairman of the Conservative & Unionist Party. He who has been involved with Transport or Industry in the UK since the days of Margaret Thatcher.

Might be a question for lol-lol

As I wrote in a post a few back,this question of premature deaths due to air pollution is a farce as the premature aspect is apparently  3 days!, which in relation to a lifespan probably of 80-90 years is not a great consideration, I might suggest.  I live in 2 places, in London very close to the North Circular and Ealing Common,where I would say the air  seems perfectly clean. The other place is Southampton, right next to the coast and sea, so I am perplexed  that air  here is highly polluted,especially bearing in mind also the huge amounts of open  parks and spaces Southampton has, The Common for one, very close to the City centre, a vast area of woods,lakes, grassland etc, plus the Sports Centre, again a vast area of open  " fields " as far as the eye can see beyond which is a huge 18 hole golf course. I must confess I am highly sceptical of certain persons seemingly wanting to jump on the bandwagon, an excuse for raising money?.

2 hours ago, Tony R said:

As I wrote in a post a few back,this question of premature deaths due to air pollution is a farce as the premature aspect is apparently  3 days!, which in relation to a lifespan probably of 80-90 years is not a great consideration, I might suggest.  I live in 2 places, in London very close to the North Circular and Ealing Common,where I would say the air  seems perfectly clean. The other place is Southampton, right next to the coast and sea, so I am perplexed  that air  here is highly polluted,especially bearing in mind also the huge amounts of open  parks and spaces Southampton has, The Common for one, very close to the City centre, a vast area of woods,lakes, grassland etc, plus the Sports Centre, again a vast area of open  " fields " as far as the eye can see beyond which is a huge 18 hole golf course. I must confess I am highly sceptical of certain persons seemingly wanting to jump on the bandwagon, an excuse for raising money?.

....."apparently 3 days"?

Is there a link to this research result?.

I'd like to know how a figure of ~ 80 years less 3 days was calculated.

14 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Read my posting a few back

On 03/05/2017 at 00:52, Tony R said:

Heard today somewhere,maybe a  News programme, the question the thousands of premature deaths  turns out to be the deaths are premature by an average of THREE DAYS. Talk about a lot of fuss over nothing!

I have argued previously that the 'premature deaths' figures are not useful unless SMRs (Standardised Mortality ratios) are quoted. Even then, when the Francis Enquiry into "excess deaths" at Mids Saffs NHS Trust looked into this, the topic of interpreting the SMR information was argued at length for several days. Experts From the Trust, The Primary Care Trust, the Strategic Heallth Authority, the Dept of Health, Dr Fosters (the company that compiled the data) and even Professor Jarman, an Expert in the use of SMRs gave evidence. I think it fair to say that no firm consensus was reached on the matter of interpretation apart that to say that there should have been more notice taken of the statistics from Dr Fosters'. Note:  I spent a long time reading the many days of transcripts as I knew some of the people interrogated - There but for the grace of god etc!

19 hours ago, Ryeman said:

This is quite interesting - a review of the evidence with IMO some proper statistical rigour

https://medium.com/wintoncentre/does-air-pollution-kill-40-000-each-year-people-in-the-uk-ecca96fb3a1a

• Like 1