Skoda Fabia II, broken wires in hinge loom of drivers door

peteonimac

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

I find this site pretty useful for listing part number equivalences, in (often multiple) boxes to the right of where it says Skoda part number. No such alternatives shown for your number:

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5j0971120bl-electrical-wiring-installation-bundle-for-diver-s-door-21827.html

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

I find this site pretty useful for listing part number equivalences, in (often multiple) boxes to the right of where it says Skoda part number. No such alternatives shown for your number:

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5j0971120bl-electrical-wiring-installation-bundle-for-diver-s-door-21827.html

Ok thanks, I thought that I did read somewhere that Skoda improved the loom with all the door trouble, hoping that the new part is better.

They'd certainly struggle to make them worse! But that (suffix HG) newer part may not have all the features you need, or it might, I don't know. Someone with an up-to-date legit copy of ETKA who might look up by your VIN number is your only hope really.

How many wires are busted on yours?

Edited by Wino

41 minutes ago, Wino said:

They'd certainly struggle to make them worse! But that (suffix HG) newer part may not have all the features you need, or it might, I don't know. Someone with an up-to-date legit copy of ETKA who might look up by your VIN number is your only hope really.

How many wires are busted on yours?

IMG_20220102_171654495.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi

I have also got broken wire syndrome with my drivers side window not working.

The broken wires are the green & the white/blue ones.

I cant afford a new harness so I am going to add an extra piece of wire between the breaks.

Can any one tell me what thickness of wire I would need 1mm or 0.5mm

Cheers Jim

Which pin numbers do these wires go to on the 28-way connector?  I think the column nearest the back of the car is numbered 1-15 top to bottom, the other column (with the bigger wires at the bottom) 16-28 top to bottom.

Edited by Pete_Ex-Wino

Hi Pete

Thanks for the info I will have a look tomorrow when I get chance to see what numbers they are. (are they numbered?)

The mirror adjustment is working fine the only thing not working is the drivers side window.

Cheers Jim

Hi

Just managed to check it the green wire is 4 up from the bottom the white/blue is 6 up from the bottom

Both on the steering wheel side  of the connector.

IMG_20220505_184025.jpg

Yeah, I think that's 12 and 10. I'll have to check circuits again, but double check that the mirror tilts and pans, if you see what I mean. 

When you command the window up or down is there any click/clunk despite lack of movement? Try to listen up close to the motor module.

I rechecked the mirror when I was just out to take the photos & it is working fine.

Just listened and there is click or clunk at the motor the only sound is the switch itself just doing is normal sound.

That's me completely baffled by what those wires do then, and no idea how to fix your window. Sorry! 

Are you certain all the other wires are intact, and power is getting to the end of the fat wires at the motor module?

I am going to take off the door panel and check all of the cables.

At the connector and bellows all of the wires appear to be fine apart from the 2 broken ones.

I have searched online but haven't found a wiring guide for the car showing whick cable is which in the door harness.

Thanks for your help Pete.

Cheers Jim

The thick red/white (or is it red/yellow) is the main permanent power feed to the motor module, the thick brown is its main earth, so ideally measure into the back of the socket at the window motor to check you have 12V there when the 28-way is plugged in at the A-pillar.  Another critical wire for window function is the grey/white from pin 5 of the 28-way to pin 5 at the motor module.

The thin brown earth from pin 16 of the 28-way may also cause havoc if broken (ends up at pin 7 of motor module but connects to other stuff too). 

30 minutes ago, Pete_Ex-Wino said:

The thick red/white (or is it red/yellow) is the main permanent power feed to the motor module, the thick brown is its main earth, so ideally measure into the back of the socket at the window motor to check you have 12V there when the 28-way is plugged in at the A-pillar.  Another critical wire for window function is the grey/white from pin 5 of the 28-way to pin 5 at the motor module.

The thin brown earth from pin 16 of the 28-way may also cause havoc if broken (ends up at pin 7 of motor module but connects to other stuff too). 

Cheers Pete it gives me some thing to do this weekend :)

I do know though that the motor works by operating it with the key in the door.

The window goes up & down depending on how I turn the key.

So would I be right in assuming the the thick red/wite/yellow & the thick brown cables are fine.

Can you confirm that this is a 2012 Fabia (as per your profile) with a window motor module with part number starting 6R0?

28 minutes ago, jps711 said:

The window goes up & down depending on how I turn the key.

Just that one, or both sides?

32 minutes ago, jps711 said:

So would I be right in assuming the the thick red/wite/yellow & the thick brown cables are fine.

Certainly looks like it, yes.

Do the switches light up when the rest of the dash lighting is on?

(A check of the thin brown earth wire, which would also affect the switch functions if broken)

Edited by Pete_Ex-Wino

Just checked it again & the windows are nolonger working when I hold the key in the open position in the lock.(they did work a couple of days ago)

I dont know the part number for the window module as I havbent had chance to remove the door panel.

Yes it is the 2012 fabia mentioned in my profile.

It will be a 6R0 part number with a build after March 2010, I'm pretty sure.

This means that the key-turned signal goes straight from lock to BCM. That then tells the window motor to go up/down depending on  direction of key turn.

So there's still suspicion about the power wiring to the motor module, along with the grey/white wire mentioned upthread a bit, and the thin brown earth.

It looks like the wiring problem is getting worse with the window nolonger working with the key 😞

I am going to search online to see how cheap I can find a new full harness for the door.