2016 F1 General Discussion Thread

camelspyyder

I am really sad about Schuey too, divisive yes but a hero of mine.

Back to the weekend, Wehrlein was pretty awesome and I'm sure Rosberg is privately scratching his head and wondering what the hell he's going to do. By the time DRS comes in today if Lewis gets a clean start he'll already be 2 seconds down the road by the looks of it...although he is starting with a slightly flatspotted tyre eewwww

I believe Lewis said that the flat spot was minimal and unnoticeable. Long run down to turn 1 and with the Ferraris starting on super softs I wouldn't be surprised to see them 1-2 early on

I believe Lewis said that the flat spot was minimal and unnoticeable. Long run down to turn 1 and with the Ferraris starting on super softs I wouldn't be surprised to see them 1-2 early on

Unless Nico forgets to turn right then left at the first chicane.
  • Like 1

That was about the dullest F1 race I have ever watched (part of as I could not stand to watch it all).

At least we have the MotoGP starting in a few minutes but I will have to catch up with it later as have an erand.  

Cannot imagine the MotoGP will be as dull as the F1.

Damping at Silverstone and a Brit on pole.

Well done Lopez and Citroen in the WTCC and interesting to see him moving to Formula-E.  Not sure it is a clever move but expect he knows what he is doing.

Hopefully next few F1 races will be a bit more exciting.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

Although we did see Bottas use the "Verstappen Defence" at 220mph, ducking right before turn one after the following car had committed that way.

I was surprised Checo didn't use it on the kid later...he used to defend really hard, especially before he had that massive crash with Massa at Montreal.

Edited by camelspyyder

Well that didn't really go to plan did it. Pretty boring too. Looked like we could have a race on but Lewis lost too much time early doors despite his efforts to get through. His move on Bottas round parabolica in clean air was genius.

Although we did see Bottas use the "Verstappen Defence" at 220mph, ducking right before turn one after the following car had committed that way.

I was surprised Checo didn't use it on the kid later...he used to defend really hard, especially before he had that massive crash with Massa at Montreal.

Well yeah they weren't the first drivers to do it and certainly won't be the last.

Well yeah they weren't the first drivers to do it and certainly won't be the last.

That's fine as long as nobody gets hurt.

Having already watched Ratzenburger, Senna, Earnhardt, Greg Moore, Jeff Krosnoff and bikers Kato, Tomizawa, Simoncelli and several more all die on live TV in my living room I have no desire to see it happen again.

Edited by camelspyyder

That's fine as long as nobody gets hurt.

Having already watched Ratzenburger, Senna, Earnhardt, Greg Moore, Jeff Krosnoff and bikers Kato, Tomizawa, Simoncelli and several more all die on live TV in my living room I have no desire to see it happen again.

Couldn't agree more, but the sport is inherently dangerous, and it may not be in an incident anything like that in which we see someone get hurt. There's so many different things that can happen. Yes it was/is aggressive defending but I'm afraid with risk takers it's how they go racing at times.

Seemed like there was hardly any disadvantage for Hamilton in his "55 place" penalty or however many it was.

Maybe once the penalty gets them beyond the back of the grid, they should make it a pit lane start and the number of places penalty would be the number of seconds "head start" that they have to give everyone else.

I was having similar thoughts on the subject. As a modifier, perhaps the start should be taken from your pit garage, so you can "keep the tyres' blankets on" for longer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I think it just says a few other things.

The race highlights on CH4 are at 18:30, so I'm not looking for any news prior to that on that race.

The fact it's not on telly as much, means it's out of sight, and really out of mind. 

Was there a race last weekend?

Oh nad it's a fantastic weather day... off out for a run to see how I get on with my back... it's sunny how I can hide behind pain. Hopefully I'll make it back to stream the highlights, assuming rosberg isn't punted off by a youngster early on :D

• Like 1

Is it time to close the thread due to lack of interest?

Agreed.

Fortunately there was BSB, British Touring Car and 24 hr Endurance World Championship at the Bol D'Or (4.000 kms in 24 hour ! Well done Suzuki).   

http://video.eurosport.co.uk/fim-ewc/vincent-philippe-wins-bol-d-or-for-record-breaking-eighth-time_vid907377/video.shtml

Edited by lol-lol

Was a pretty dull race. Don't think there's any need to close the thread, as said it reflects when people watch (I just watched on plus 1), and if there's any news worth commenting on. That race may have been dull but the season overall just got more interesting again.

Not sure what the value is in comparing f1 to btcc. Both are motorsport yes but different race formats, 3 races in 1 day compared to 1, different points system and the whole machine is different. Its a bit like comparing the snooker world championship at the Crucible to the regional pool championships at your local pub.

Maybe f1 needs serious revision but it is what it is for now and in terms of format and politics is unlikely to change much.