2016 F1 General Discussion Thread

camelspyyder

Is it just me or does "Lance Stroll" sound like a character from the old "Skid Solo" cartoons?

More seriously, Lewis Hamilton has apparently said something that I agree with! "The last thing we need is even more downforce."

The one aspect of racing that has the smallest read across to road car development is aerodynamics. Engine technology, suspension technology, crash safety etc can all trickle down to road car development but the size of an F1 front or rear wing, or the shape of a diffuser, does not. Minimal technical regs (how about do what the hell you like (and I mean anything - no cylinder limit,no cc limit, turbo or supercharger if you want) but you only have xkg of fuel to get to the end of the race regs?) but you only get front wings with the area of an A4 sheet of paper (OK I'll be generous, A3) and a single plane rear wing which must be within the internal sidewall of the rear wheels (regulate the max width between the external sidewalls but not the tyre width, so you can trade aero grip for mechanical grip) etc etc. Just a thought ...

The one aspect of racing that has the smallest read across to road car development is aerodynamics. Engine technology, suspension technology, crash safety etc can all trickle down to road car development but the size of an F1 front or rear wing, or the shape of a diffuser, does not. Minimal technical regs (how about do what the hell you like (and I mean anything - no cylinder limit,no cc limit, turbo or supercharger if you want) but you only have xkg of fuel to get to the end of the race regs?) but you only get front wings with the area of an A4 sheet of paper (OK I'll be generous, A3) and a single plane rear wing which must be within the internal sidewall of the rear wheels (regulate the max width between the external sidewalls but not the tyre width, so you can trade aero grip for mechanical grip) etc etc. Just a thought ...

That could work; even with lean burn technologies, only having xkg of fuel to do ykm is the ultimate in power restricting regulations.

It would be great if Max can collect Nico, and Lewis then win with half points (assuming nobody is hurt of course). Then we could have a 'winner takes all' final race :)

Edited by Lady Elanore

This race is fast turning into a farce.

It's turning into the Bernie Ecclestone world wide Circus. to many rules and regs, if you can't drive in the wet, slow down. If you don't like it don't race.

Don't forget Rossi and his mates drive around in the wet at 180 mph + and they've only 2 wheels. They don't race behind a safety car........

**  Other water sports are available, like swimming **

Rossi....? Never heard of him. Mind you, if it only has two wheels it doesn't get on the radar.

Vale finished 12th in the UK leg of the WRC and 11th in the NZ WRC round, he is great on 4 wheels as well as 2.  Tried the Ferrari F1 car with Schumacher and serious thought about making the change to 4 wheels but rightly chose the much more exiting format.  F1 is so dull, a part from Max, and is rightly losing crowds, so bad in Malaysia that is looking at bering cancelled whereas the bikes got twice the crowd size of the F1 cars.  Even Niki Lauda said it....

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/f1-niki-lauda-motogp-more-spectacular-than-formula-1-czech-gp-brno-081715

F1 legend Niki Lauda attended Sunday's MotoGP race at Brno and admitted he likes what he sees at the pinnacle of two-wheel racing.  "It is very interesting to watch because you can see how the rider struggles with his bike," Lauda said. "In F1, unfortunately, the opposite happens."  Although Mercedes is dominant, Lauda is still fully supportive of F1's intended technical revolution for 2017, with the aim being to re-engage the audience with faster cars that are more exciting to watch.

Edited by lol-lol

I can't imagine anyone will ever show the sublime talent that Senna had, but after yesterdays drive, I am beginning to question that belief. Astonishing and brave in equal measure i reckon. As a person, I don't like Max, but his driving is the stuff that could resurrect F1 singlehandedly. Like a Gascoine or O'Sullivan (the snooker one), flawed, but genius. 

• Like 1

Although Button managed his tyres the right way (Tyre whisperer) and Max found grip on all other sides of the track.

And he was on equal tyres as Ric.

Nah. Button was just way faster than everyone else that day. He was flat out, no tyre management to worry about after the red flag (same as Verstappen).

And Jensen won passing Vettel on the last lap.  That race will be remembered for years. Brazil 2016 probably not. It'll go in the books as yet another Merc 1-2.

News: Rumours today link Wehrlein to Sauber for 2017 in place of Nasr (whose sponsors cant / wont commit the funding).

Edited by camelspyyder

So what do we reckon will happen tomorrow?

I would like to see Lewis sail off into the distance whilst Nico gets turned around at the first corner and has to drive through the field from last place. Onto the final lap he is 4th just behind Max ..

I think this year is Rosberg's myself.

Which would be ... disappointing.

There's something about him that leaves me cold, but to win a Championship with Lewis Hamilton as your team mate is a credible achievement (even if Hamilton has clearly demonstrated he is the faster driver over the year!).

Most likely a straightforward merc 1-2 where there are no threats/problems. Things will fall into place for Rosberg one last time this year (Hamilton poor start or some form of safety car to rescue top 3). Hope I'm wrong and Rosberg actually has to fight for it.