2016 F1 General Discussion Thread

camelspyyder

camelspyder, not bitter in any way on their wealth, i never mentioned money other than both are employees on a wage and employees of a team,

they are not Gentlemen Drivers in it for the craic and paying a team.

I am just used to watching Horse Racing and the likes where people bet on results and if a rider is not trying to win or hold a horse back they will be in front of the stewards and can expect a suspension or a ban.

Edited by Offski

camelspyder, not bitter in any way on their wealth,

just used to watching Horse Racing and the likes where people bet on results and if a rider is not trying to win or hold a horse back they will be in front of the stewards and can expect a suspension or a ban.

Ah yes a sport which has been rife with fixing

camelspyder, not bitter in any way on their wealth, i never mentioned money other than both are employees on a wage and employees of a team,

they are not Gentlemen Drivers in it for the craic and paying a team.

I am just used to watching Horse Racing and the likes where people bet on results and if a rider is not trying to win or hold a horse back they will be in front of the stewards and can expect a suspension or a ban.

Has a rider ever been reported, never mind "warned off", for winning by one length on a horse some people claimed should have won by 10?

• Like 1

I was chatting to one of the F1 TV crew today and he reports that Nico is going down the road of Lewis to a degree. he believes his own hype and treats the crews that make him famous via 'media' with disdain. I'm not taking about the journalists, but the guys and gals that use the cameras and sound gear. Admittedly Lewis has just about gone off the weird end of the scale these days, but I think we all knew that anyway.

Nico could and should have passed Lewis if he was going 'so slow'. Pathetic that he had to complain about his speed when all he had to do was pass him and it looked to me like he couldn't even do that. Keke was a racer, not sure who Nico takes after, but it's not his dad.

• Like 1

I don't think either Mercedes driver had an issue with the race pace. It was the amateurish Mercedes management interfering again. Nico could have saved a lot of time by just punting Hamilton off again like he did in Spain.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

I don't think either Mercedes driver had an issue with the race pace. It was the amateurish Mercedes management interfering again. Nico could have saved a lot of time by just punting Hamilton off again like he did in Spain.

Or Senna to Prost at Suzuka!

Nico could and should have passed Lewis if he was going 'so slow'. Pathetic that he had to complain about his speed when all he had to do was pass him and it looked to me like he couldn't even do that. Keke was a racer, not sure who Nico takes after, but it's not his dad.

Vettel was on fresher tyres than either of them and he couldn't pass either , Nicos move on Max was close but he had to do it , Nico could have done the same but it does not always work out ( Austria ) and Lewis could have finished 1st and Nico could have been penalised

F1 team principals vote Hamilton, Verstappen top 2 drivers in annual poll.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127328/team-bosses-name-hamilton-2016-best-driver

Perez has emerged as "best of the rest" over Hulkenburg and Bottas. Who will get the next Ferrari vacancy?

Edited by camelspyyder

F1 team principals vote Hamilton, Verstappen top 2 drivers in annual poll.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127328/team-bosses-name-hamilton-2016-best-driver

Perez has emerged as "best of the rest" over Hulkenburg and Bottas. Who will get the next Ferrari vacancy?

Sounds on the money to me as a driver, as seen by his qualifying pace and ability to push on a certain times during the race.

What I think is worth mentioning, which perhaps does not count as driving(?) is just maybe he is not as mechanically sympathetic as many other drivers also his grid starts have been quote poor compared to many, maybe neither aspects counted as "driving" but factors on winning races and therefore and championship.    

Rosberg retires !

Sensible lad, he knows he will never surpass this high so why sully his record. Some other hasbeens could learn from this.

I hope they offer Max Verstappen the job we will then see if Hamilton really is a great!

I would think Hailton + verstappen would be an even bigger headache to look after than Ham + ROS

Same goes for HAM + VET

we've been chatting in the office about who would be an experienced enough, Merc friendly, not-tied-in-to-an-expensive-contract-elsewhere-already replacement.

time for a Di Resta comeback ?

I would think Hailton + verstappen would be an even bigger headache to look after than Ham + ROS

Same goes for HAM + VET

we've been chatting in the office about who would be an experienced enough, Merc friendly, not-tied-in-to-an-expensive-contract-elsewhere-already replacement.

time for a Di Resta comeback ?

Pascal Wehrlein spotted in Starbucks Brackley this morning.

would Wehrlein not be too much of a gamble?

how about a shiftaround - as mentioned by Joe Saward https://joesaward.wordpress.com/ where Bottas goes to Mercedes and Wehrlein goes to Williams ?

(but then that leaves Williams with 2 relative newbies)

how's Robert Kubica these days ?

Edited by Wet Kipper

Nico Rosberg:

“Since 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my ‘one thing’ to become Formula One World Champion. Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target.And now I’ve made it. I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right. My strongest emotion right now is deep gratitude to everybody who supported me to make that dream happen.

“This season, I tell you, it was so damn tough. I pushed like crazy in every area after the disappointments of the last two years; they fuelled my motivation to levels I had never experienced before. And of course that had an impact on the ones I love, too – it was a whole family effort of sacrifice, putting everything behind our target. I cannot find enough words to thank my wife Vivian; she has been incredible. She understood that this year was the big one, our opportunity to do it, and created the space for me to get full recovery between every race, looking after our daughter each night, taking over when things got tough and putting ourchampionship first.

“When I won the race in Suzuka, from the moment when the destiny of the title was in my own hands, the big pressure started and I began to think about ending my racing career if I became World Champion. On Sunday morning in Abu Dhabi, I knew that it could be my last race and that feeling cleared my head before the start. I wanted to enjoy every part of the experience, knowing it might be the last time… and then the lights went out and I had the most intense 55 laps of my life. I took my decision on Monday evening. After reflecting for a day, the first people I told were Vivian and Georg (Nolte, from Nico’s management team), followed by Toto.

“The only thing that makes this decision in any way difficult for me is because I am putting my racing family into a toughsituation. But Toto understood. He knew straight away that I was completely convinced and that reassured me. My proudest achievement in racing will always be to have won the world championship with this incredible team of people,the Silver Arrows.

“Now, I’m just here to enjoy the moment. There is time tosavour the next weeks, to reflect on the season and to enjoy every experience that comes my way. After that, I will turn the next corner in my life and see what it has in store for me…”

You could say that Merc seat is the most desireable on the grid, but thinking about it i'm not too sure.

With the big rules shakeup next season, we could find a new team/teams at the top of the pecking order, Redbull, Ferrari and Mclaren all have the experience, resources and personell to topple Merc.

If i was Max, i'd want to stay with Redbull, Pascal or Carols Sainz JNR have nothing to loose. if I was Toto, i'd be pushing for Sainz. But no doubt they'll stick Pascal in there.

• Like 1

Would I be correct in thinking that Mercedes 'engineered' Rosberg the title with a deal that he retired afterwards?

• Like 1