Start/Stop System

Anyone else finding the stop/start system in the new Superb reluctant to actually do much stop-starting?

I've had the system on previous 3 VW group cars but the others all seemed to operate much as expected, even soon after starting car, unless DPF regen was in progress. However, my Superb (2.0tdi 150) seems much more reluctant to activate and as a consequence seldom kicks in during my daily commutes.

The primary excuse on in car display seems to suggest it's non-operational because of a risk of windows fogging, which I somehow doubt is likely to occur during brief stoppages given sheer internal volume of the estate! But today it surprised me with a new excuse...

I can only presume another regen was underway, but for the car to suggest "engine must be switched on", whilst idling at 1000rpm and up to temp is a puzzling?!

post-134269-0-41714800-1452641196_thumb.jpeg

Frankly I find it a flippin nuisance, slow to restart primarily, and can't wait to get to VCDS to turn it off (raise the trigger voltage). Works only too well and frequently in my opinion, from cold start.

In the 3 weeks and 600 miles ive done in mine its only worked once. Same message as op about risk of windscreen misting.

On other manufacturers cars it worked near enough straight away even when cold and engine not up to temperature.

It´s cold these days, and because of that, my Superb often raises the idle RPM to 1000 - like when doing a regen. This, and a load of other reasons will cause S/S not to work.

The message about "risk of window fogging" must be due to the humidity sensor installed in the SIII.

1600 miles in and mines only worked once. Whenever I've checked it's always been due to the risk of windscreen fogging. Mine always has wet gym/swim kit in it and is almost always fogged up on all windows because of this.

Drove my wife's Bmw last week though and despite the fogging her stop/start worked.

It seems like the more miles I've done, the more the s/s system seems to work. The first 1000 miles or so it didn't seem to function as often as I thought it should, but since then it seems to be doing what it should and when it should. It is very dependant on outside ambient temp & engine temp however.

I have found that you need to press the brake pedal quite hard for it to work, which is good, as I have now learnt how to regulate it and when I want it to work or not by the amount of pressure I apply.

• Like 1

Stop start is working fine on mine. Any time it doesn't operate it is easy to guess why as I've got some electrical load on or the engine is cold. Rest of the time it operates and doesn't bother me - and I've never driven stop start before.

It operated in a steep uphill traffic queue yesterday and in combination with auto hold it was no problem at all. No roll back or not keeping up with the queue.

I've had to learn not to put the car in N at traffic lights as that turns off auto hold and 'use the handbrake' comes up on the dash!

First thing I do after starting the engine is pressing the button to disable it ....

A man after my own heart ;)

My brother perseveres with it in his Octavia 3 Petrol VRS unless I turn it off for him when he's not looking lol

• Like 1

I had reservations about stop-start when we got ours, but in all honesty - I think it works just fine.

It restarts very quickly, and can save some fuel.

I don't see any reason to turn it off ?

+1  :thumbup:

I had reservations about stop-start when we got ours, but in all honesty - I think it works just fine.

It restarts very quickly, and can save some fuel.

I don't see any reason to turn it off ?

I have driven vehicles with it before and not found it an issue, HOWEVER my commute to work is done at 0315 and the 1st time I need to stop (when the engine is warm) is when I pull into the carpark, come to a halt to reverse into the parking bay and yes the engine turns off!! bloody annoying, well it was for the few days until I coded it out.

• Like 1

As I said if you press the brake pedal gently it does not shut down it needs a heavy press to work. You can control when you want it to work simply using the brake pedal, no need to shut it down.

• Like 3

I am finding the stop/start is a lot more busy than I have previously experienced with VW and Audi, but I put that down to improvements in the system.

However, I do have a couple of niggles - firstly, it has decided not to start again when I pull away on occasion and I get a message to start the engine manually.

I have also noticed that if the system kicks in whilst the electric boot is operating, then the boot stops - this can be a right pain in the rear when you are dropping off in traffic, meaning you have to open it again and close it. I don't see why you can't simply control the closure from the button inside. I know, health and safety BS......

That can be enabled by VCDS.

Not unless you know something we don't.

It is possible o the MKII and Octavia, so I am hoping it will be possible eventually on the MKIII Superb.

Not unless you know something we don't.

It is possible o the MKII and Octavia, so I am hoping it will be possible eventually on the MKIII Superb.

Note to self, pay attention to wich subforum Im posting in. I was thinking about the Octy.

• 5 weeks later...

If the next car I buy has s/start, I will switch it off. The wear on the ring gear and starter system in general must be horrific, plus extra strong batteries are needed, at higher cost of course, but at reduced guarantee period, from what I have noticed  when in Halfords.

If the next car I buy has s/start, I will switch it off. The wear on the ring gear and starter system in general must be horrific, plus extra strong batteries are needed, at higher cost of course, but at reduced guarantee period, from what I have noticed  when in Halfords.

You don´t have to switch it off - just learn how it works. Then you can decide for yourself when you want to use it.

My Superb is 5 years old now, and has covered 120.000 km, and is still on it´s original starter and battery without any issues. And yes, it has S/S.

• Like 4

Mine has been perfect. My car has done 62,000 miles and a lot of that has been very heavy **** London traffic which means LOTS of Start/Stop action. 

It stands to reason that the essential components for this system are designed and engineered to take the extra strain of the Start/Stop cycles. I don't see the point of going out of my way to actively disable this system.