Still worth buying the mk1 vrs in 2016?

BBiZ

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, currently drive a mk1 fabia 1.2 HTP 12v and I can't fault it. Considering making the switch to diesel so I have been looking at of course the mk1 fabia 1.9 vrs!

However I've noticed the going rate for a clean model we are looking around the £5000 mark and I'm slightly skeptical about investing that amount of money on a minimum of a 9 year old car that is in theory the same as my. Current car with a much larger diesel engine.

I'm also aware you can pick up the mk2 fabia vrs for around £1500 more, however I'm not currently interested in petrol or DSG. So any advice or things to consider on the matter would be great. Thanks

• Like 1

Mk2 vrs is naff really, completely different car.

People might be asking £5,000 but I'm sure you can pick a nice one up for half that.

I agree about the mk2 not appealing at all. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a mk1 vrs at a fair price. suppose I could broaden my search a little. The main one I was considering was an 07 limited edition in good shape so maybe they have right to ask for 5k.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

IMO the SE'S are way over priced,after all they are not what I would class as a special edition as they are only a diff colour with leather trim.

A special edition should be just that,special!

Ie fully loaded with every optional extra as standard,or lowered/more powerful etc :)

• Like 3

IMO the SE'S are way over priced,after all they are not what I would class as a special edition as they are only a diff colour with leather trim.

A special edition should be just that,special!

Ie fully loaded with every optional extra as standard,or lowered/more powerful etc :)

+1 there is no way the SE's are worth the premium. They were £13,000 new, absolute tops, so we're trying to pretend that it's worth 40% of it's new price at 9 years old? It makes no sense.

• Like 1

+1 there is no way the SE's are worth the premium. They were £13,000 new, absolute tops, so we're trying to pretend that it's worth 40% of it's new price at 9 years old? It makes no sense.

Supply and demand [emoji57]

To the OP :

I would try and look for a decent condition vRS at around the £3k mark. The SE's do hold value better, but unless you have your heart set on blue paint and black leather, you can get 90% of the same car for probably 1-2000 pounds less, minus the colour. If you are patient some may pop up with factory fitted leather and other desirable options.

Don't forget as well that as good as the mk1 vRS is, like you say, it is at least a 9 year old PD (tractor) engined, leaking (more than likely) 100k +miles car. There are a lot of other nice and as good cars out there.

*phew*

That was my attempt at being as unbiased as possible!

JRJG

• Like 1

When I was looking for the car I got in the end there were plenty of very good fabias for anything from 2700 to 4k. As mentioned se were at the top of that but worth it? Probably not, there was a good 06 plate on less than 100k (about 92 I think it was), fsh at a local Evans halshaw so full safety check, 3 month warranty etc for 3400. They are out there, be patient and don't rush it.

• Like 1

Supply and demand [emoji57]

To the OP :

I would try and look for a decent condition vRS at around the £3k mark. The SE's do hold value better, but unless you have your heart set on blue paint and black leather, you can get 90% of the same car for probably 1-2000 pounds less, minus the colour. If you are patient some may pop up with factory fitted leather and other desirable options.

Don't forget as well that as good as the mk1 vRS is, like you say, it is at least a 9 year old PD (tractor) engined, leaking (more than likely) 100k +miles car. There are a lot of other nice and as good cars out there.

*phew*

That was my attempt at being as unbiased as possible!

JRJG

Thanks for the insight.. Since your in such an unbiased mood... Dare I ask which other cars you have in mind when you mention nice and as good cars [emoji57]

For a clean under 90-100k I'd say 3k

As someone has said, the same quality SE goes fr 1-2000 more and I'd say it's worth that because it's 07 (last of mk1) which is better than the mk2 (IMO) and being a late model SE holds its value.

Everyone has something to say about the colour and the seats are beautiful too. Having one, to be fair the seats arent very 'huggy' which I'd prefer but limited edition leathers still sell for 500 or so.

You can get like 120k random VRS for £1500 even and sometimes it's just like a case of rough alloys, slight tear in interior and some scratch on the bumper which is a good value for money if you ask me, depends what you want.

Heart set on a VRS for a few years - VRS SE

Cheap run around - £1500-2000 rand

In between - a decent spec/cond VRS 05-06

I'm in the opposite league to most.. I'm only 24, and I was 18 when I first became aware of the Fabia VRS.. and I have always had a soft spot for the SE! Is it worth the extra money? I think that's down to personal choice and preference. A cars what your willing to pay for it.

I paid 6k for mine in October - 49k miles.. it's been worth every penny.

That being said - Coskev really nailed it. It's nothing much more special than a Fabia out the factory with optional extras. It should of been more than it is. Special alloys, bigger breaks, lower stance, ALL the optional extras as standard!

But I love the colour. And I love the leather - and it puts a smile on my face everyday. I suppose that's what's important when your parting with your cash!

As has been covered - there are plenty coming up for sale. If you hold out, you can find a fab example.. there's one on autotrader at the minute with 40 odd k, and I think there only after 4k for that one..

With regards to approaching the market with your cash and possibly getting a better car for your money - that's down to personal preference and opinion.. ! So it's really what you want. But the VRS is still a cracking car.

Edit: 4.3k - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201601130046071/sort/atcustom/postcode/sy217ej/radius/200/make/skoda/model/fabia/price-to/8000/page/1/usedcars

Edited by MidWalesVRS
  • Like 1

Picked up an 04 vRS about a month or two ago for £1100 with moon miles, 4/10 paintwork and suspension in need of new bushes, so far i've loved it!

In answer to your thread question: yes they're still a relevant, sensible but fun sporty hatch! My only woe is it's a bit small as i've had golf/octy size cars my whole life until now, but I can still fit in it (6'5")

We have owned several Mk1 vrs cars and we have a Fabia SE.

The differences between a standard vrs and an SE are as follows.

Race blue paint.

Colour coded door handles.

Leather seats.

Cruise control.

Six CD changer.

Privacy glass.

Full size spare alloy wheel.

Have you also considered a MK2 Octavia 1.9 PD105?

For that budget you could pick up a decent Elegance spec model that would have a better spec then the Fabia.

We originally were looking at a MK1 Fabia vRS or MK2 Fabia 1.9 PD105 to replace our dying Cordoba PD130.

In the end we spotted a MK2 Octavia and had a test drive and fell in love. The ride difference between the Fabia and Octavia (uses the Golf platform) is miles apart and much nicer but still retaining some sporty/confident feel.

Just a though...

Phil

Thanks for the insight.. Since your in such an unbiased mood... Dare I ask which other cars you have in mind when you mention nice and as good cars [emoji57]

Ibiza fr tdi ;) pleased with mine, priced very competitively compared to the Fabia too.

Seat Ibiza, Polo tdi (obviously basically a fabia), Mk4/5 Golf, Mk1 Octavia VRS (mainly very high mileage nowadays), mk2 Octavia, Ford Focus (can't remember which mk, the 06/07 shape), if your top budget is £5k then perhaps an Audi A3 or 1 series BM could be found.

All just suggestions, the above were on my list when I was looking for a fresh car, I settled in the end for the SE vRS [emoji56]

JRJG

Seat Ibiza, Polo tdi (obviously basically a fabia),

That's the way I went. I wanted a VRS, but found it hard to justify spending the extra when you can get an Ibiza with similar spec for a lot, lot less.

Apart from the rust on the arch lips from the bit of foam Seat stuck in there. They all have the same problems. When they get to this age, it's just down to how the individual car has been treated and looked after. 

• Like 3

They do seem to hold their value quite well compared to similar Golfs etc. I actually paid a little more for my Fabia than I did my Pulsar when I brought it 3 years ago.

It has it's faults but to be fair it's probably the best car I have owned as an all round package. I do like the se's but as others have said they are not really worth the premium but to be honest they are worth what people are willing to pay for them.

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, currently drive a mk1 fabia 1.2 HTP 12v and I can't fault it. Considering making the switch to diesel so I have been looking at of course the mk1 fabia 1.9 vrs!

However I've noticed the going rate for a clean model we are looking around the £5000 mark and I'm slightly skeptical about investing that amount of money on a minimum of a 9 year old car that is in theory the same as my. Current car with a much larger diesel engine.

I'm also aware you can pick up the mk2 fabia vrs for around £1500 more, however I'm not currently interested in petrol or DSG. So any advice or things to consider on the matter would be great. Thanks

I just sold my mk2 fabia vrs and bought a mk1 se with 50k on the clock. The mk2 is a great car and the dsg is a awesome piece of kit. I just had to have a se though and the money the mk2 vrs are going down so quick now, you can listen to all this stuff about the se ain't worth it, but i owned 2 mk1 fabia vrs before and the se is alot nicer all round plus it will hold its value alot more then any other vrs. People say there nothing really "special" about them but the facts are they are a limited car that's it, so yes do it you won't regret it.

Alot of valid points being made. Seems like it all goes comes down to how much I want it. I'll keep my eyes open for the right one whether it's value for money or something that will hold value. However I do feel as though it is a kind of now or never buy due to the age of the car.

but i owned 2 mk1 fabia vrs before and the se is alot nicer all round

How can a car that's a different colour with leather seats be nicer all around? :D

Perhaps your other mk1's were just a bit rough with higher mileages etc than your current SE?

That's the only explanation for your SE to be nicer all around

Great car but if you want entirely trouble free, like any car, its caveat empty and only as good as what you ( or someone else) has put into it.

Mileage and purchase point count for nawt, although free warranty *may* count for something.

I think it says a lot that you won't get one from a Skoda dealer now, then you are looking at more shady 2nd handy sellers.

I'm just glad I had the full enjoyment of ownership from brand new.

I've just bought a new(ish) octy petrol vrs, but still have the diesel.

Mines an 06 and ironically only just started letting me down (Batt or electrics not decided), other than similar minor faults in the past, its been pretty flawless and my model offers me a lot of car for what its worth.

But mines not been thrashed, remapped, and touch wood been lucky in most regard and had my moneys worth of a 1 owner from new.

There are some that will emptied their wallets, and no doubt have a better car than mine consequently (maybe only on performance, or maybe on reliability as due to new parts).

But to be honest I don't care. I know mine, and how it stands so far. Plus I think an untouched from new motor without too much dabbling has the benefit of not suffering the too many monkeys syndrome, nothing worse than finding catalogue after catalogue of faults on someone elses car is there :D

I wouldn't sell to you (or anyone), why would I when its worth so little (sub £3k it seems) but offers me so much ?

I think hence with the age of the car you may struggle with the decision, if someone is selling, you really have to drill down to WHY ? Is it because they are done with it ? Why ?

And hence might you be better with say a newer Seat Leon but still a TDI like an FR maybe ? That was my thinking before I settled on keeping 2 cars and getting the petrol for thrills.

Mines not that much less in every day terms than the Octy 220 TFSI in many respects, well for fun at least even if its not nose to nose on performance, maybe not on kudos and style, but who cares it still moves. Certainly on economy it can't be knocked.

• Like 1