Tyre tread depth

DonjSZ5

Something like 3mm is sensible, but as stated, some fleet lease companies don't like that idea.

We had one lease company instruct the tyre place to place a very close to limit tyre in spare . To it's credit the company refused and took the matter to lease company management. I took a replacement van to local branch of same company with a wrong sized tyre. Same lease company, same solution. So perhaps it's time to offer KWIK FIT a bouquet.

• Like 1

DonjSZ5, on 11 Feb 2016 - 06:14, said:snapback.png

The front tyres were both fairly new with 6.5mm tread but of a make I have not heard of, Sunew YS618, and having Googled not a particularly popular one at that. I have yet to decide on their future but as I don't do a lot of high speed motoring and very few miles I suspect they will stay on but be moved to the rear once the rears have done a few more miles.

I've just broken out in a cold sweat reading that part! Please don't put them on the rear when you get new tyres, just get rid and put a decent set on regardless of how much tread they have left. 

I say this because I care. :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__0DL8dE3Eo

http://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/should-you-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9hzcjdi5Q

:thumbup: +1

I broke out in a cold sweat too because I also care!   How many people, I wonder, fit part worn tyres, stick a tube in a tubeless tyre with a puncture, ask for an incorrect load or speed rating or even ask for tyres that are not EU approved because they don't do long distances or drive fast.   The trouble is a lot of fitting centres will carry out these requests to "keep the customer happy."

Correct tyres should always be fitted - no matter what.   Your driving may not require the performance, but how about the poor old bounder who buys your car 6 months down the line, loads it up to the gunwales and gives it a bit of welly for the annual family holiday?   You could end up being responsible for killing them all and, even if that was never laid at my door, I couldn't live with myself knowing I'd sold a less than perfect car!

As for Part-Worns - they should be a big no-no!   Where do you think they have come from?   Mostly from insurance write-offs and there are very few write-off shunts where the tyres haven't been subjected to huge stresses at the time of the collision.   The internal construction will quite likely have changed due to the rapid build up of heat.   Having sat in a scrapyard for a few months, before being stripped from the wheel rim and left on a huge sortation pile for another few months, deterioration will inevitable have set in.   A quick lick of tyrewall black and the casing looks as good as new - but it isn't!
http://www.simplemotoring.co.uk/tyres-2/part-worn-tyres-you-get-much-less-than-you-pay-for/#.VsGOE_KLSUk

Edited by bealine
  • Like 1

^^^^^^

Back to the future there.

Still happens because people that drive cars lets it happen.   DfT / DVSA (VOSA) lets it happen.  

HMRC lets it Happen.  George Osborne MP / David Cameron MP / PM lets it happen.

These 'Lots of Fitting Centres'   are those that 'The Management' might not know what 'Lots of Employees' are doing.

Or Management knows, and are legally responsible. Either way they are legally responsible if they Run the Fitting Centres.

Then so is the Customer.

Multi National Tyre Fitting Centres can be so cheap now to supply and fit and balance New Tyres,

but you will always have those looking for 'Much Cheapness',  'Mates Rates', 

Pay Cash, no Receipt, No VAT etc.

• Like 1

How many people, I wonder stick a tube in a tubeless tyre with a puncture, 

There is nothing wrong with using a correctly sized inner tube in a so-called "tubeless" tyre, or are you trying to suggest that wire wheels should not have tubeless edges?

To be honest, I'm surprised the UK has not looked at changing our limit to at least 2mm or better still 2.5 or 3mm.

A grace period of between 1.6 and new limit = a 7 day correction notice rather than a massive fine would be good.

Spring would be the best time to do this too, as you could run the grace period over the better summer weather and have (most) people on good tyres for the next winter.

There is nothing wrong with using a correctly sized inner tube in a so-called "tubeless" tyre, or are you trying to suggest that wire wheels should not have tubeless edges?

There is nothing wrong with it legally, provided you are aware that the speed index is reduced by one letter.   As car manufacturers usually fit the lowest speed index the model can get away with, in the majority of cases fitting a tube is both illegal and dangerous.    However, putting a tube in a tubeless tyre is a very dangerous practice as South Wales Police found out a few years ago when a tube failed during a high speed pursuit - the heat generated between flexible tube and rigid tyre sidewall can be phenomenal at sustained motorway speeds.

Example - my Rapid Sport has "V" rated tyres, which means it can withstand speeds of up to 149 mph for a short burst.   If someone popped a tube in there for me, it would become "H" rated with a speed of up to 130 mph for a short burst.   Now, just because I have no intention of ever taking Roger Rapid over 90 mph, let alone 130 mph or 149 mph doesn't mean I am permitted lower speed rated tyres than the manufacturer recommends.   Skoda advise the fitment for the Rapid Sport is a "V" rated tyre so fitting below that, or effectively reducing it by putting a tube in, not only may invalidate the manafacturer's warranty  (particularly on parts connected with suspension) but will most certainly invalidate your insurance.

http://www.wheels.ca/news/installing-inner-tube-in-tubeless-radial-is-a-dangerous-move/

Edited by bealine

There is nothing wrong with it legally, provided you are aware that the speed index is reduced by one letter.   As car manufacturers usually fit the lowest speed index the model can get away with, in the majority of cases fitting a tube is both illegal and dangerous.    However, putting a tube in a tubeless tyre is a very dangerous practice as South Wales Police found out a few years ago when a tube failed during a high speed pursuit - the heat generated between flexible tube and rigid tyre sidewall can be phenomenal at sustained motorway speeds.

Example - my Rapid Sport has "V" rated tyres, which means it can withstand speeds of up to 149 mph for a short burst.   If someone popped a tube in there for me, it would become "H" rated with a speed of up to 130 mph for a short burst.   Now, just because I have no intention of ever taking Roger Rapid over 90 mph, let alone 130 mph or 149 mph doesn't mean I am permitted lower speed rated tyres than the manufacturer recommends.   Skoda advise the fitment for the Rapid Sport is a "V" rated tyre so fitting below that, or effectively reducing it by putting a tube in, not only may invalidate the manafacturer's warranty  (particularly on parts connected with suspension) but will most certainly invalidate your insurance.

http://www.wheels.ca/news/installing-inner-tube-in-tubeless-radial-is-a-dangerous-move/

I used to be neighbours with a force chief police mechanic, who was prepared to accept cars with tubeless wheels and tyres, as long as they had tubes fitted.

Oh and if you're going to quote personal cases, my Octy has W rated tyres and I'd need to throw it off a cliff to even have a chance to get it over 120mph!

My uncles Golf 1.6Tdi 105PS has Y rated Goodyear Eagles fitted from the Factory. 

A fair safety margin. 119mph max speed and 186mph rated rubber.

Lee

There is nothing wrong with it legally, provided you are aware that the speed index is reduced by one letter.....................

......................but will most certainly invalidate your insurance

Please

a) provide some sort of evidence on which this statement is based. 

I am unaware, and unable to trace the basis of  any such reduction.

b ) quote to me where in ANY motor insurance policy that such an action would invalidate the cover. Or is it yet another example of where facts cannot be proven, this inference is thrown in to deter people, using phrases like "they use any excuse to avoid paying out"

• Like 2

I totally agree. As long as the tyres fitted are suitable for the vehicle then they are not going to invalidate your insurance. Being a lower speed rating than the ones from the factory does not make them unsuitable, especially if you still have a large headroom over the speed that the vehicle is being used at.

The most blindingly obvious way to prove this is with the example of a space saver tyre that is rated to 50mph. You are clearly not invalidating your insurance if you have a puncture and need to use it.

I doubt very much that at 29k miles your rear tyres are original with +5mm tread depth. When I mistakenly bought Continentals thinking they were a reasonable bargain against Michelins, they were scrap after 10k miles.

If they are not then the 'new' tyres fitted were precisely the same balance as the old ones removed because the balance weights and valves are originals. No signs of the typical tyre fitter screw driver removal marks. They are also Identical to the spare, which is (was) original in every form. Also the seller (one owner) told me they were the original tyres.

Edited by DonjSZ5

I've just broken out in a cold sweat reading that part! Please don't put them on the rear when you get new tyres, just get rid and put a decent set on regardless of how much tread they have left. 

I say this because I care. :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__0DL8dE3Eo

http://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/should-you-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9hzcjdi5Q

I doubt that would make much difference with my current configuration, 6.5 and 5mm.

I also suspect the videos you linked had near limit tyres front to rear. Mine are still very good at both ends.

I have read some poor reports on the Sunews that's why I would prefer them on the back if they go pop.

Edited by DonjSZ5
  • Like 1

My Passat was still on it's original Contisport 3's at 45k miles. I know that because I had the car new.

But I do fit winter wheels so the original alloys go in the garage. :)

The rears had probably done around 30k when I changed them.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

I doubt that would make much difference with my current configuration, 6.5 and 5mm.

I also suspect the videos you linked had near limit tyres front to rear. Mine are still very good at both ends.

I have read some poor reports on the Sunews that's why I would prefer them on the back if they go pop.

It's good that the tyres have a decent amount of tread left.  Having said that, it's more to do with the compound on the cheap tyres rather than the depth of the tread.  I had cheapo Chinese tyres on the rear when I collected my car from the dealers.  They had pretty much 7mm of tread left but were lethal in terms of grip, feedback and their willingness to let go on roundabouts in the dry or wet.  I replaced them pretty much straight away and the rear of the car has been well behaved ever since.

• Like 1

Don't just blame owners for fitting wrong ?? tyres to cars. I don't know if Skoda have changed their practice, but I bought present car at 15k, and tyres had tread consistent with that mileage. locally in one road we have a lot of bad drains and a lot of badly parked( nigh on abandoned in this road), coupled with drivers who MUST get through a gap at all costs, even if yopu are halfway through. Result ,in this road, NS tyre ends up getting punished. First I noticed was I had a bulge ( strange in itself in that I'd never had problems with previous cars with similar size wheels & tyres). Problem was bulge in sidewall, verdict by tyre place- not the make of tyre they'd recommend on the front of a car with a diesel . Then on closer inspection- speed rating- the factory fits were lowest speed rating on market - well below the capabilities of even a 1.4TDI, and close to the 70 limit. ( To close for my idea of safety on a long hot drive) .

Previous car was an ex motability car, with approx 30k on it, and I suspect original tyres. Tyres were decent brands, car was four year old, and tyres looked OK. Year and another 20K later, I noticed that I had tracking problems and changed fronts. it was found that rears had cracks in the tread, so they were suspect, and changed. At present I'm on a limit of 6K, and possibly a lot lower in practical terms, so I chose a tyre on load rating+ speed ( given the chance I will crack on ), but it's budget over high quality, as I'd prefer a tyre to wear out rather than look good, but harbour possible dangers, and lets face it-a 1.4TDI is hardly a high performance vehicle.

I won't even entertain the idea of giving a tyre fitter that sells part worns my custom in any form.

You seem to forget that all used cars sold will have part worn tyres on them, unless you buy a new car of course. At least you can see what is going on the car before they are fitted.

How many people check their tyres regularly and properly?

Not that I buy used tyres of course but a good deal of the population do

I had to pay for air at a petrol station one day, just had new tyres fitted so was giving them the 7 days top up check. Had 4mins air left and asked the woman beside me if she wanted me to do hers as ut was going to be wasted otherwise (5mins air for 50c) tyre pressures were 18 and 12 on the back, 21 and 27 on the front...

so, no.... not everyone checks their tyres ever.. never mind regularly. I drove home feeling a bit sick after that tbh... knowing that car was on the road with tyres save for the fact i was feeling generous...

re #45- there's also the additional problem we face locally, of either yoofs who think it's a joke to let tyres down / add puncture hazards around. I had one bloke close by, who had been a HGV driver for 20+ years, and had more flat tyres in six months locally than he'd had in 20 years in a truck. i've also got this problem- which has dropped dramatically since I bought a car pump operated off the ciggy lighter. But regularly , one tyre or another goes down. Pump it back up and it's OK for months, then another goes down. That is why I carry my own tyre pump, and olde fashioned tyre pressure gauge, mac- mine was a present from one old aunt, and today still is as accurate as it was when made. At one time, garages made a point of free tyre checks/ inflation to customers, now it's another chance to rip of customers.

Edited by VWD

You seem to forget that all used cars sold will have part worn tyres on them, unless you buy a new car of course. At least you can see what is going on the car before they are fitted.

There's a difference between buying a second hand car that's had new tyres fitted which have since worn down, and buying tyres which have been fitted and subsequently removed for a reason, then sold on because they still have monetary value. Unless the second hand car has had part worn tyres fitted of course, such as people who fit part worns just to make the car legal for the sale.

• Like 1

You seem to forget that all used cars sold will have part worn tyres on them, unless you buy a new car of course. At least you can see what is going on the car before they are fitted.

Here was me thinking that all used cars came with new boots all round - d'oh! Every day is a school day as they say. Edited by Brian69