Warning for GTB owners...

alex_e3

Very long duration for bigger nozzles isn't it. The duration I'm running on kevs is very close to stock pd150.

The original 215bhp limit for stock nozzles came from the theory of EOI being around 7 degrees ATDC. People said running past this will result in increased smoke and EGT. This theory I believe is wrong as you still make power past 7 degrees without EGT increases. EGT increases when your not burning the fuel.

EGT increases because there is still enough oxygen left in the end gases for any fuel not burnt during combustion to continue burning as it exits the cylinder and enters the turbo, this is why EGR can reduce EGT because it adds inert gas in place of some of the oxygen.

No diesel engine uses all its oxygen, they all run in a lean condition when compared to petrol engines because there isn't time for the flame front to spread into the space vacated by the piston as it moves down due to the bulk of combustion happening in that little bowl.

Because BHP is directly proportional to boost,

Assuming you keep the same AFR. If you only increase boost without fuel then their will be very little in terms of BHP difference.

Diesel mappers don't all map to the same AFR, some don't even bother about AFR. So one mapper might run 2bar with AFR X. Another might run 1.8bar with AFR Y. But both having the same BHP but the latter having more smoke.

Silky prefers his to run richer with less boost.

Assuming you keep the same AFR. If you only increase boost without fuel then their will be very little in terms of BHP difference.

Diesel mappers don't all map to the same AFR, some don't even bother about AFR. So one mapper might run 2bar with AFR X. Another might run 1.8bar with AFR Y. But both having the same BHP but the latter having more smoke.

Silky prefers his to run richer with less boost.

You missed the bit where I said it was just a guideline. Look, I know there are a lot of assumptions here, but most of them are made in the interest of keeping things simple and understandable and boost is the dominant factor in getting moar powah.

Silky probably understands the trade off between running higher boost and risking bursting the engine and running higher EGT but risking cooking the VNT mechanism.

However some of the boys that come on here really aren't too bright and discounting the possibility that they just give the missus a slap when she complains about how much they're spending on a ten-year old oil burner, they spend money like water chasing headline power figures.

So I'm just trying to explain my reasoning simply for the benefit of all concerned.

• Like 1

You are a judgmental old bugger! What gives you the right to liken members of this site to domestic abusers to prove one of your know it all points?

Pathetic thing to say for a supposedly clever bloke

It was supposed to be funny, put your teeth back in.

Knocking women about funny???

Never mind my teeth my entire liver fell out I laughed so hard... I am genuinely staggered at how you can pigeon hole members of the forum as "not bright".

Not many things boil my **** these days, I'm far too old for that but your way of belittling people is genuinely annoying.

The thread is a decent one about pushing the boundaries, yet you seem to be content in being all old school Etonian head master with your "amusing" comments.

• Like 4

If you read more closely you'll see I was discounting the possibility of domestic abuse by our esteemed forum members, as to 'brightness' I speak as I find, if someone can barely read or write and has absolutely no idea what they're doing then it's reasonably safe to assume they shouldn't be trusted with a pair of sharp scissors.  :sun:

This is starting to get far too serious for me! What has happened cannot be changed now unless you are david blaine, so good luck to both guys with cracked pistons on getting back on the road again. I personally dont give two hoots what my bhp is, all i care about is that im running around 2bar until i get my injectors then can wind it up a bit and get the most from my turbo, whilst maintaining driveability and reliability.

What difference do the later pd pistons have ? I was thinking about the ones designed for the dpf and the hotter temperatures involved when that's having a regen and if they are coated or anything?

For those who haven't seen my project thread, I stripped my engine fully yesterday. This is the damage to the piston...

DSC_0910_zps2t20wdrq.jpg

DSC_0911_zps4qtlmhqh.jpg

DSC_0912_zpsbhvpsvbi.jpg

DSC_0913_zpsycpl9lyv.jpg

The brass insert has been rotated round. The bore is also scored. Underside of the piston has since cracked through as well.

Rest of the engine is in fantastic condition I might add! You really wouldn't think it had covered 135k miles.

Edited by alex_e3

Perhaps a good quality/efficient oil cooler would help prevent piston failure.

Not only can effective oil cooling reduce piston crown temperatures (ideally no more than 600 degrees F) but it will also reduce combustion temperature and EGT.

Alex has the score on the bore been caused by the bronze bush where the wrist pin sits rotating due to becoming loose once the piston has cracked? This is what has happened with mine, you could see the edge of the bronze bush had started to wear where it had rubbed on the cylinder wall