Just had four tyres fitted but........

zorst

Superb 2 CR170 SE

The car tyres on the front were close to the limit and the tyres on the rear had plenty of meat left but were saw toothing.

So I had all four tyres done. Original tyres were Michelin Primacy and I had four Landsail tyres fitted.  

There was a few reasons for this. The quality of the Landsail tyre felt good, the bunf and sales looked good, although mixed reviews across the net but generally good. And the price because I want to sell the car so not put too much into it.

Yeah, now't wrong with the tyres, grip seems good and road noise quite. Cured the drone at the back that I thought was a wheel bearing.

The problem is that the car has a minor vibration at 50mph seems to disappear at 60mph and comes in again at 70mph.

I took the car back to where I got the tyres and had the wheels rebalanced and the lads there showed me the wheel on the machine before the wheels were put back on the car, but it still does it. It doesn't have that ride quality I think a Superb should have.

I didn't notice it before.

Also I have gone from the 22/45/17s that were on the car to 225/50/17 this was to fill the wheel arch a bit more and also improve ride quality.

Any ideas please.

Thanks Zorst/Ken

So you intend to sell the car with low quality tyres of the wrong size! When I go to look at a used car I always pay attention to the tyres. Any combination of of mis-matched, low quality brand or wrong size and I walk away; unless I can achieve a hefty extra discount to cover the cost and inconvenience of fitting 4 correctly sized quality tyres.

• Like 4

Superb 2 CR170 SE

The car tyres on the front were close to the limit and the tyres on the rear had plenty of meat left but were saw toothing.

So I had all four tyres done. Original tyres were Michelin Primacy and I had four Landsail tyres fitted.  

I think this may be at the root of your problems!

• Administrators

Had a intermittent vibration years ago. Not perceptible to cabin passengers, just in the wheel.

[back of bikeshed]

I echo others views on changing sizes, buyers choice, a lot of people will not notice. Fair to say enthusiasts here would and you have a heads up on a possible issue to tackle when selling. win!

Technically it's a 3.6% increase in circum. So 70 on original is 72.5 on new. I had some old notes, can't find them now on tolerances.

[end]

On the vibration, turned out to be a small bulge in the side wall as the laminate had let go. Problem is, this was the middle of france at 7am on the way to a tradeshow... Still I'd be reckoning on a tyre issue.

Any other factors, do they do it from cold?

They might have balanced the tyres / wheels, but there might still be a mis-shaped tyre.

Thanks for the input lads.

When I got the car back the pressure was at 38psi all round. Superb according to the manufacturer is 33 front and 35 rear. So I have adjusted accordingly.

I have thought as well that it could be a slightly misshaped tyre. A possible buldge/lump.

I've just got the car back today from the garage to have a faulty turbo actuator replaced and on the motorway back that slight annoyance was there. 

I'll be visiting the tyre fitters again first thing Saturday morning so one of there members of staff can go out will me in the car for a demo.

I'll take on board what you've said. thanks once again.

Edited by zorst

I had a duff brand new tyre once.  Long time ago.  It tramlined on the way to work and pulled a bit to the left, which I thought might be tracking/brakes.  Swapped the fronts over and the pull was t'other way.  Went back to the tyre depot and they checked it over with me and we agreed it looked fine.  Took it off the rim to find a significant area of rubber missing from the inside of the tyre wall. They were quite embarrassed that it hadn't been spotted, but tbf it was easy to miss.  I was glad I'd done under 20 miles on it.

Gaz

I hope you get the problem sorted, if it were me I might have tried to find some 'good' part worn branded tyre or new mid-range tyres like Kumho's or Avons. I too would walk away from a car with odd, budget or wrong sized tyres fitted. It would make me wonder what else had been scrimped on.

, if it were me I might have tried to find some 'good' part worn branded tyre or new mid-range tyres like Kumho's or Avons.

I did think of getting some part worn originally but was worried I might be in the same position as when I started because to the eye there was nothing wrong with the two on the rear and with 5mm tread.

But I suppose I could have gone back and they would have tried another tyre if I wasn't happy.

The tyre supplier that I used is recommended on this site, just saying, and so I thought i'd give them a go.

Last Saturday I had the tyres fitted. The following Monday I rang them just to register that I could feel an imbalance whilst cruising at 50 and 70 mph on the motorway.

They asked me to get back to them when I could to see what they could do. That was this morning.

When I got there the owner/manager/worker listened to me. I told him that the tyres feel really good, no issues with the tyre, nice and quite as per sticker on the tyre etc, just to butter him up and then said that there is the smallest of judders, in the seat and in the steering wheel when cruising down the motorway.

His first reply was that they could change the tyres around and if they find that one is faulty then I would have to buy another tyre off them and then the faulty tyre goes of to where ever they get them from to be annualised and if their supplier agrees then I would get a refund on that one tyre and this takes up six weeks.

I went on to say that if you drive around here you won't feel it because of the constant bends and difference in road surfaces.

The tyre company is sort of in the middle of no where with 50 mph roads surrounding it. but still he said he'd have a test drive before they do anything with it. While I stood in the car park I saw my car go off into the distance, then the car came back, pulled into the car park, he got out and said 'well I've just done 100mph down there and back and I can't feel anything'. Have you really i'm thinking. Well yeah, if I did 100 mph down there or anywhere I wouldn't feel it either.

And that was it. He didn't do anything because in his eyes/mind there wasn't anything wrong. And there wouldn't be anything wrong unless he drove on a straight flat road at the national speed limit.

So all I got for my troubles was compliments of how good the car is, and the steering wheel and gear knob caked in crap.

I've done a few miles in the car today and the vibration is still there.

I'll probably end up somewhere else for a wheel balance.

Edited by zorst

The tyre supplier that I used is recommended on this site, just saying, and so I thought i'd give them a go.

Last Saturday I had the tyres fitted. The following Monday I rang them just to take register that I could feel an imbalance whilst cruising at 50 and 70 mph on the motorway.

They asked me to get back to them when I could to see what they could do. That was this morning.

When I got there the owner/manager/worker listened to me. I told him that the tyres feel really good, no issues with the tyre, nice and quite as per sticker on the tyre etc, just to butter him up and then said that there is the smallest of judders, in the seat and in the steering wheel when cruising down the motorway.

His first reply was that they could change the tyres around and if they find that one is faulty then I would have to buy another tyre off them and then the faulty tyre goes of to where ever they get them from to be annualised and if their supplier agrees then I would get a refund on that one tyre and this takes up six weeks.

I went on to say that if you drive around here you won't feel it because of the constant bends and difference in road surfaces.

The tyre company is sort of in the middle of no where with 50 mph roads surrounding it. but still he said he'd have a test drive before they do anything with it. While I stood in the car park I saw my car go off into the distance, then the car came back, pulled into the car park, he got out and said 'well I've just done 100mph down there and back and I can't feel anything'. Have you really i'm thinking. Well yeah, if I did 100 mph down there or anywhere I wouldn't feel it either.

He wasn't willing to do anything because in his eyes/mind there wasn't anything wrong. And there wouldn't be unless he drove on a straight flat road at the national speed limit.

So all I got for my troubles was compliments of how good the car is, and the steering wheel and gear knob caked in crap.

I've done a few miles in the car today and the vibration is still there.

Good luck with sorting this out. It must be very annoying. i have used budget tyres in the past and never had a problem.

Precisely what I was going to suggest.

If you feel it in the seat and the steering wheel its front and back and not just one tyre.

If the owner said YOU would have to BUY another tyre while one was being assessed I think this says what sort of outfit they are.

I am not sure they still exist but perhaps balancing on the hub might be another test.

Another simple test. Jack each wheel individually, place 3 fixed markers near the outer tread and both side walls say 2 or 3mm away...house bricks cos they are weighty, now spin the wheel and look for any movement from the markers.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Was this guy wearing a stetson and chaps by any chance? ;)

That is a breach of the Sale of Goods Act and he knows it.

This escapade is still bothering me as much as it's bothering you lot.

I'll do anything for an easy life these days and i know going back there just isn't going to do ME any good. Not that I won't fight for my corner, but things just fester with me for a long time after the event.

When i get round to it this week i'll take the car somewhere else to get the balance checked

Edited by zorst

Was this guy wearing a stetson and chaps by any chance? ;)

That is a breach of the Sale of Goods Act and he knows it.

Sale of goods act is no longer relevant, as it's been replaced. Also, with tyres specifically, the manufacturer controls the warranty (as the manager has rightly said in this case) not the fitting shop. This is simply because there are so many technical factors involved in testing a tyre for faults that it's impractical for a tyre shop to do so. All warranty claims are returned to the manufacturer for evaluation.

However, I'm unsure why they figured it would be acceptable to fit incorrect sized tyres....

I don't think they knew if it was the right or wrong size. They fitted what I asked for and they had those in stock. Although at the time they would have been taking a 45 size tyre off to fit a 50 size and never said out.

Also if you go on the Michelin website in the listings it does give either the 225/45/17 or 225/50/17 tyre for my/our cars

http://www.michelin.co.uk

I think this may be at the root of your problems!

They might have balanced the tyres / wheels, but there might still be a mis-shaped tyre.

Have you set your own tyre pressures, or checked them?

& was that 225/45 R 17's and now 225/50 R 17's in your post?

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

Now listen, if I'm wrong I'll own up to it. I would be the first to say 'you know what lads, you were right'

Just a recap.

When I had my Michelins on it ran true and  from what I remember, no vibrations.

I have these landsail fitted because I was selling the car. I'm not now cos I can't find anything to replace it.

I put the pressures at 33psi front and 35psi rear as per book and I can feel the vibrations.

For a test I increase the psi all round to 38 which is what my Passat tdi was. This is to see if it feathers out the vibrations. Makes it better.

It's actually made it worse, a lot worse. It's as its as if a wheel is bouncing beyond belief which makes me think that the tyre is out of round.

Anyway, I think the way that it's going is that I'm going to get something else fitted on the car at weekend.

Passats role on 225/50-17 tyres and they are said to be a more comfortable ride. I cannot imagine every tyre fitter to know every car spec.

Have you swapped the tyres round the car yet? back to front or side to side?