Whats a Yeti really like

davezim

Hi all i am after an honest opinion on what the Yeti as i had a test drive on a Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI SE DSG 5-Dr and like it but, want to get the full picture before i go ahead and buy one. as i also like the skoda superb and not sure if to wait or not.

i went from a remapped 2002 Octavia I 1.8T 4X4 Estate to a 2010 Octavia II 1.8TSI 4X4 Estate and then to my current 2015 Yeti Outdoor Elegance 1.2TSI DSG and haven't regretted it one bit. The Yeti has practicality, surprisingly good road holding and a certain charm, and I don't miss the performance of its predecessors. Take an extended test drive and decide for yourself.

Did I forget to mention that the Yeti is unique in have an extremely enthusiastic and vocal following on Briskoda since its introduction in 2009?

Edited by DGW

They are good cars and drive pretty much like a Golf, the boot is not huge mind but the rear seats can be removed if required.

Obviously fuel economy is not going to be wonderful as it has the aerodynamics of a brick, the higher seating position is nice however and gives good all round visibility.

That said would I have one over a Superb? ... not a chance as the Superb is really in a different league altogether. (even the MKII superb was better than the Yeti)

(Owned all MKI, MKII and MKIII Superb’s and a current F/L Yeti)

• Like 1

the one i'm took for a test drive was a 2011 version and has 46k on the clock just wondering when the CAM belt is due as might try and get it done as part of the deal if it's due?

They are good cars and drive pretty much like a Golf, the boot is not huge mind but the rear seats can be removed if required.

Obviously fuel economy is not going to be wonderful as it has the aerodynamics of a brick, the higher seating position is nice however and gives good all round visibility.

That said would I have one over a Superb? ... not a chance as the Superb is really in a different league altogether. (even the MKII superb was better than the Yeti)

(Owned all MKI, MKII and MKIII Superb’s and a current F/L Yeti)

Cheers for the review just need to try and make my mind up lol.

• Like 1

I had a 63 plate Yeti 1.2 S dsg for 18 months.

Pro's:

1.2 engine mated with the dsg is excellent. I never felt I needed more, even with 5 adults in the car and I came from 160+ bhp diesel cars.

Nice light airy cabin with great visibility and loads of room for everyone.

Sit nice and high.

Boot space is limited but useable with the seats folded. It was fine for my needs.

Used prices have plummeted so you can now get one at a decent price.

Cons:

Lower spec models are very poorly equipped. You have to spend daft money to get even half decent kit. Even then it is way behind cars of similar age.

I could not get comfortable with the drivers seat but that is subjective.

The dsg is terrible trying to pull away from a standing start quickly. Either nothing happens or the wheels spin. Very dangerous in my opinion. OK if you are prepared to wait all day for a very large gap in traffic. Not just my car either I tried two more and they were the same.

Rid equality is not the greatest at urban speeds. Mine had 16 inch wheels and it was still "firm" and jittery. However it improved dramatically the faster you went.

Plenty of people love them but it's not the best thing since sliced bread a lot of people rave about. But!!!  it might be for you.

I would have had a Superb but the Yeti's compact size for the amount of usable space inside and the higher seating position giving better visibility and much easier access made it a no brainer for us, and after just over a year with it we know we made the right decision.

This little old lady loves this car.  Had it since last June and no complaints so far.  Love sitting up high and access is great.  Too much computer for my liking but its just a girlie thing! :D :D :D  Cute looking in a black and white Monte!

I prefer the Yeti as a daily driver, having had this and a superb. The superb is far better as a mile muncher and many, including me, had lots of problems with the drivers seat being uncomfortable or, even worse, causing leg and buttock pain. The Yeti is far more comfortable and fun to drive in my opinion. As far as the 1.2 motor is concerned, I can't comment the the Yeti but many find it works really well. I've driven a Monte Carlo fabia with the 105bhp TSI 1.2 engine and found it great for general driving. Would it be as good on the motorway, I'm not sure. All you can do is test drive and draw your own conclusions.

I'd rather fancied the Superb but on being given the opportunity to drive one for a day

I found that getting down into the cockpit and then hauling myself out put me firmly

back with the Yeti and its high seat. I parked my new Yeti Elegance in a space next

to a couple of japanese/Korean look alikes both white like my Yeti and its character really

shone through.(I have nothing against either of the other cars)

I've owned many cars over the years (40-something at last count) and rarely have the same model of car twice but I am on my second Yeti now.

My first one was a second hand pre-facelift 2.0TDI SE and it was a cracking car.  Loved it the whole time I had it.  Practical enough (I don't use my boot much), comfortable, reliable, economical and just very easy to live with.  It was also really great on a trip to the Lake District and went up and down the passes over the mountains beautifully without having to worry about scraping it on anything lumpy.

Sold the Yeti to buy an Alfa and regretted it almost immediately.  Only kept the Alfa for six months and am now back in a Yeti.  I went for a new 1.2 TSI DSG this time and once again it's a cracker.  It feels very like the 2.0 TDI to drive.  It's the same power but less torque although this is disguised to a great extent by the DSG gearbox as the extra gears make up a lot of the difference.

I would recommend a Yeti to anyone - I know that the Superb is a good car but it is just a car whereas the Yeti feels a bit different...

I have a 64 FL 1.2 Elegance DSG with Amundesn Sat Nav.  Its a great car. I have just returned from a visit to the West Country, a trip of 200 miles including A and B roads and Motorways M4 and M25.  The Yeti is a very comfortable drive and is relaxed at Motorway speeds.  Overall I averaged 40mpg which is not bad.  I agree that boot space is a little limited however the flexible seating arrangement is a real bonus.  It is a very impressive headturner. and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone.

It's got character and brings a smile to your face when see or drive it.

It has a small footprint, but a generous and comfortable cabin. It's a nice place to be in.

The boot may not be big, but it's big enough.

My 110 bhp diesel is economical and pulls well. I see 60 on a run [70mpg if I drive like a vicar]

I would by another one.

Colin

• Like 1

I have had several Octavias, last one being a FL Mk II,  Size wise , it is shorter, taller, but same width.

SWMBO would not drive the Octavia, but loves the Yeti.  Cabin space feels light and airy, and the boot is a LOT smaller , you step slightly up into the Yeti.

Living with it day to day is very different from a " Car "

The superb IS bigger inside & out, and as such is a big "car" while the Yeti by comparison is a small SUV.

I dont think you can really compare them, It all boils down to what ticks all the boxes for you.

MHO, for what it's worth....

Bought my 2010 Yeti Elegance 1.8tsi just over 6 weeks ago. Swapped a 56 Ibiza 1.4 for it, so it was quite a change. I looked at octavia scouts, and passat 4motion, but the Yeti was by far the most fun, the best looking, and the best equipped. I haven't regretted it. It's comfortable, fast, pretty well equipped and, best of all, has bags of character. It's comfortable on the motorway, though there is a bit of wind noise, and will put a smile on your face when you throw it around on a B road. You can see out of it, the driving position is excellent, as are the seats, and the rough or snowy road capabilities are so much better than i expected. The only thing I'm not struck on is the fuel economy, but the tsi is a brilliant engine, and I wouldn't swap it, fortunately I don't do  a lot of miles. 

I would try to find one with the Amundsen SatNav unit, the Bolero in mine feels a bit dated and clunky, but it was a small sacrifice to make overall.

Edited by Fisheyonadishey

I've had mine for just over 12 months now and my comments are:-

- Loads of interior space and very comfortable as I'm 6'4"

- I used to suffer from lower back pain but have had no issues for a year now due to easy entry / exit

- Higher driving position and visibility is great

- Handling and pep from the 170 is a delight

- Feels nimble and agile despite the elevated ride height

- When our family of 3 go camping I can take out 2 rear seats for loads more room

- It's like a Tardis

Niggles are:-

- Has had a few rattles which has taken a while to track and cure

- The interior door plastic feels hard and cheapish. I was spoiled as a previous Audi owner

On the whole I'm delighted with the car

Part-exchanged my 2014 1.2SE Yeti for a 2016 1.2SE Fabia and took delivery today.

The Yeti served its purpose as our main car when my 16 year old Vectra died. Been an interesting experience and served us well but it was time to reconsider.

The 1.2 TSi engine is willing but you have to time your overtaking moves. The higher driving position was initially interesting but having moved the seat position down over time, I was left thinking what higher position? Elderly parents found it easier to get in and out but that was not a justification for one or two weeks a year.

What I realised I HATED was the accelerator pedal being hinged from a different position to the brake pedal. Take a look when you test drive. For me the distinct movement of my right foot between accelerator and brake rather than a pivot from one to the other was the deciding factor to change. Never realised the uncertainty until I drove hire cars on holiday and recently test drove some other cars.

The 110PS Fabia certainly has more go than the similarly-engined Yeti. And why did we reconsider our cars? Just ordered my wife an Audi TT - way beyond mid-life crisis but a Yeti didn't fit anymore! So a Capuccino 1,2SE Yeti with 9000 miles is now out there at a Skoda dealer.

I made a similar mistake when I replaced a 170 tdi with a 105 bhp Greenline.

It was almost perfect ,with it's grippy winter tyres ,until I changed down to overtake on an up hill dual carriageway.

It stayed at just the same speed.

I now have a 150 tdi which is now OK.

The alleged 187bhp SEAT Ateca looks very tempting.... :think:

All round workhorse, family, trips to the skip with garden junk, used regularly for special stage rally radio marshalling duties & there's not much to dislike. Biggest bugbear for me is the B-pillar design, it restricts over-the-shoulder visibility, design over function, but after a total of 5 years Yeti ownership, something I've learnt to live with. Economy keeps on getting better, 170 bhp CR, now 46k miles clocked up & overall consumption sitting at 45.5 mpg. One of the best aspects, comfort.

I was up in Inverness a fortnight ago for the Snowman Rally (really lived up to it's name) left Contin, about 20 miles nw of Inverness just before 6 in the evening, snowed all the way down the A9 to Pitlochry, then turned wet. Got home bang on 10 so that was 225 miles non-stop in a touch over 4 hours, got out & didn't even creak, benefits of having the "bun toaster" on all the way. Supremely comfortable & easy to drive, bad weather conditions not a major issue with good quality winter tyres (Nokian W2G2 on 16 inch steel rims) & I was easily slipping past other 4x4s on the snowy bits without any drama.

Decision time coming soon, do I move it on & look for a good deal on a new one, but the 170 not available any more, or keep it until it starts costing? 

Definitely go for another unless there's an equally good alternative with all the same attributes.Difficult to get my head around the various offerings from Renault, Nissan etc. but I believe the Mazda CX-3 thingy has a very good rep, anyone experience of these?

Cheers.

thedinger.

Edited by thedinger
  • Like 1

Part-exchanged my 2014 1.2SE Yeti for a 2016 1.2SE Fabia and took delivery today.

The Yeti served its purpose as our main car when my 16 year old Vectra died. Been an interesting experience and served us well but it was time to reconsider.

The 1.2 TSi engine is willing but you have to time your overtaking moves. The higher driving position was initially interesting but having moved the seat position down over time, I was left thinking what higher position? Elderly parents found it easier to get in and out but that was not a justification for one or two weeks a year.

What I realised I HATED was the accelerator pedal being hinged from a different position to the brake pedal. Take a look when you test drive. For me the distinct movement of my right foot between accelerator and brake rather than a pivot from one to the other was the deciding factor to change. Never realised the uncertainty until I drove hire cars on holiday and recently test drove some other cars.

The 110PS Fabia certainly has more go than the similarly-engined Yeti. And why did we reconsider our cars? Just ordered my wife an Audi TT - way beyond mid-life crisis but a Yeti didn't fit anymore! So a Capuccino 1,2SE Yeti with 9000 miles is now out there at a Skoda dealer.

Interesting what you say about the accelerator. I found this to be a problem when I first had Passats (being hinged at the bottom - I felt pressing on it at certain angles strange) but have had no such problems with the Yeti and that's switching between other cars.

I was way beyond the mid-life crisis when I got the TT as well! :D  Had it 2 years and I'm 62 now. Fantastic car in the summer. That's why I bought the Yeti for sensible duties!