OBDeleven

How are people finding OBDEleven for some basic tweaks and coding? Can't decide whether to get this, or wait and pick up VCDS. I'm basically looking to code a few changes, so don't really want to shell out >£200 if this can do the above well for £50

As far as I know you can do all the tweaks and coding you could with VCDS. I even activated VIM which usually requires VAG CAN Pro ;)

I would say it's a really good product for the price and the support on their forum isn't bad at all

As far as I know you can do all the tweaks and coding you could with VCDS. I even activated VIM which usually requires VAG CAN Pro ;)

I would say it's a really good product for the price and the support on their forum isn't bad at all

Great, thanks for sharing your experience. It's exactly what I wanted to hear. Wasn't sure if there were some limitations on what you could do compared to VCDS.

Great, thanks for sharing your experience. It's exactly what I wanted to hear. Wasn't sure if there were some limitations on what you could do compared to VCDS.

You're welcome ;)

Hi what's VIM?

Video In Motion, being able to watch movies while driving (by default on Columbus system, the movie stops when you're driving faster than 8 km/h)

You just have to click on your profile name, in the app, on your phone. There you should see remaining credits and be able to add some (including 5 free credits per day, by seeing ads) ;)

Thanks Wiivern - will try this when I get home tonight.  Using on an android pad, and don't recall seeing my profile name at all on the screen.

Thanks Wiivern - will try this when I get home tonight. Using on an android pad, and don't recall seeing my profile name at all on the screen.

Don't know if you are aware of this, but you need to always be online/within network coverage while you are using this app.

yes, but I'm a complete n00b and was trying to avoid long-coding things myself.

Plus the fact I can't find any dedicated instructions how to long-code in obd11 interface, which is different to VCDS.

Edited by spinifex

yes, but I'm a complete n00b and was trying to avoid long-coding things myself.

Plus the fact I can't find any dedicated instructions how to long-code in obd11 interface, which is different to VCDS.

Feel free to ask if you need any help ;)

Edited by Wiivern

Thanks guys - will have another crack at it on the weekend when I have more time (and light) to read online & mess about.

Admittedly, I first plugged the dongle in late at night, the evening I got my car back from the repairs, so didn't want to risk ****ing anything up.

I'll have to re-check the brochure/specs of the Australian RS/comfort pack/tech pack inclusions..... as I understood HBA was a feature on the car, but the OBD app indicates it's definitely not activated - and it certainly doesn't work when I try it.

I'd probably rather just program it myself using long-code, or pay for the 100 credits required for the one-touch app, to get it activated... rather than get the dealer to try to do it.... god knows how long they would take to get the relevant approvals and codes required to do it.....

Has anyone tried to see if the OBD eleven can unlock the engineering menu ?

I foolishly used up 10 (or my 11 initial free) credits and enabled this setting.

Searching through the infotainment menus, I'm yet to see what this actually has achieved......

Can anyone else tell me/us if this actually does anything in the Columbus unit (I have a 2016 RS)

there is no dropdown menu for this dongle and i had to click on long coding, toggle the 0/1 icon to switch from descriptive text to the coding layout,clicked across to byte 2, clicked the hex value heading, entered '03' and it ticked the relevant bit boxes

here are a couple of screenshots of what to do after selecting controller 09 followed by clicking on coding so you can compare to your own............

Hi mate.

I'm about to try this, but before I go destroying some other setting, what happens to the other bits that are already ticked, in my particular case?  (see image)

This is the default setting of Byte 02 on my car, before trying to set the HBA.

If I simply hit the Hex code, and manually enter "03", presumably it will automatically tick bits 0 & 1, and un-tick all the other ones that are already ticked?

But will this mess up settings for whatever those bits were ticked for?

Or am I misunderstanding ECU programming?

ie:  the actual functioning part is the setting of the entire BYTE...... and the bits are simply ticked/unticked to achieve an overall Hex value for the Byte?

ie:  there's only 1 possible combination of bits ticked, to achieve a Byte02 hex value of 03...... and only 1 possible combinations of bits ticked to achieve any other hex value?

so unticking the other bits, and only ticking bits 0 & 1, is the ONLY way to achieve hex 03 value for Byte 02 ?

Is that how it works?

Can anyone tell me how to enable the "screen goes blank after 10 seconds" setting permanently, under screen in the infotainment menu?

I have to select this EVERY time I start the car, which is very annoying.

I'd like to set this so the screen goes blank after 10 seconds, EXCEPT when the navigation screen is on.  Obviously navigation needs to be displaying all the time, if you select that screen, but I want all other screens to go blank, unless I move my hand towards the screen and it displays again (which is another setting under the screen menu, and that stays ticked permanently)

From what I have tested, this is the ONLY tickbox setting that does NOT stay permanently selected, when the car ignition is cycled on/off.

Can anyone tell me what settings I need to enable/change, to make this happen?  It would make sense if the "screen off after...." setting had a sub-setting to also tick/untick, for "Navigation screen remains displayed", to achieve the above desired result....

"If I simply hit the Hex code, and manually enter "03", presumably it will automatically tick bits 0 & 1, and un-tick all the other ones that are already ticked?"

that is what happens.

main thing with tweaking settings is to write down a log of what you have done and only do 1 task at a time, checking it doesn't screw anything else up before you move on to the next tweak

Got it worked out. 

I initially gave it a try and just re-wrote the hex code to "03" for Byte 02...... and the auto-high-beam symbol displayed in the maxidot, so I assumed all was well.

Then discovered I had no rear-camera or park-pilot !!!

It seems the other two bits that were originally ticked, were the controls for those items and by resetting to hex 03, it unticked those.

SO.... an update for the VCDS thread should perhaps indicate the to enable HBA, you need to ensure bit 0 & bit 1 are ticked... and DON'T TOUCH any other bits that are already selected for your individual vehicle, or you will end up deactivating some other function!!!

After re-selecting the original tickboxes, the rear camera and park-pilot/sensors came back to life !  All sweet :)

After a quick test-drive through a local mountain range (dead-dark, with occasional oncoming traffic) I was dismayed to find the HBA wasn't actually doing anything...... until I got home and re-programmed the trigger speeds to much lower than default.

It was set at 57kph by default - the speed limit on this mountain was 50, and I had the cruise set on 53, as it's a popular police patrol area...... so I didn't actually reach the trigger speed for the HBA to start working!

Will give it another try tonight, to ensure that it actually works, now that I've set the trigger speed down to 20kph.

...... I even activated VIM ........

I don't NEED it... but it's a "see if it works" thing..... but how did you enable VIM using OBD11?

PM if you don't want to post publically - the link in the "tried and tested" post doesn't actually have instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't NEED it... but it's a "see if it works" thing..... but how did you enable VIM using OBD11?

PM if you don't want to post publically - the link in the "tried and tested" post doesn't actually have instructions.

In fact I just used the pre-configured "App" that costs a hundred credits (went on the app everyday for a few days and managed to get enough free credits to do it), as I didn't have any instructions to do it manually either ;)

In fact I just used the pre-configured "App" that costs a hundred credits (went on the app everyday for a few days and managed to get enough free credits to do it), as I didn't have any instructions to do it manually either ;)

There is a Backup feature and a History feature in the app which logs all the changes at the long-coding level. It would make sense for the 'app' changes to be logged there too, so you should be able to find out exactly what bytes it changed.

I haven't seen this app in the OBDeleven program.  Must have missed it.

I also have been logging in every morning and "watching" the ads, to earn free credits.... but I'm only at 40 so far, so will take another 2 months to get enough to use the app

I'd rather have a go at programming it myself, if I can find clear instructions of long coding, in format that suits the OBD11 program, but VCDS instructions I may be lucky enough to interpret and have a go at programming.