New form of life spotted in the supermarkets

VWD

We supermarket hop to take advantage of their price match schemes. bit time consuming,but as we're both pensioners,we have the time to spare  but very eye opening .That's on the finance side.

Now there's the human side, where I suspect I've spotted a new form of life, which comes in three varieties.

1) - the daily shopper

2) -the weekly pay day shopper

3)- the monthly pay day shopper.

All exhibit similar signs. e.g, walking around with mouth imitating a Goldfish in tank, and then imitating the actions of a headless chicken, dashing from aisle to aisle.

So ,to the naturalists -is this a new form of life, possibly only existing when visiting a supermarket? :nerd::notme:

• Like 1

Yes Asda is a particularly noted for walking around imitating the goldfish in a tank look.

Run in with staff at Asda today....

At the checkout, I want to buy 6 bags of bark chips, we haven't got the barcode they say, I say well how do you sell them then? well you have to bring them in to scan them they say (they are all stacked outside under a special canopy)

Now me being (or acting as I was as stupid as them) I said, how do I get 6 bags in a trolley then? to which they replied, we need a barcode. Doh! WTF.

Last year was just the same, no barcode, until someone had the bright idea to get them printed out and place at each till, just in case a customer wanted to buy some.

I walked out without, before I said something I regretted

I used to go in my local supermarket maybe 3-4 times a week, I try and limit it now to around once a week, and that's a task as above.

Edited by MickA
  • Like 2

Hmm, when raining, we go for the day with the kids as a cheap alternative to the zoo

Where do we fit in?

• Like 1

Hmm, when raining, we go for the day with the kids as a cheap alternative to the zoo

Where do we fit in?

Do you whisper to each other in "David" voices - about the behaviour of the wildlife?

(Attenborough and Bellamy) :)

Hate supermarket shopping,do my weekly shop at 7am (first in-first out)  at sainsburys Eastbourne its quiet pleasant at that time and the staff more than helpful.

Also and very important the carpark is empty so no door/trolley dents on my car.

Edited by james0james

Missed the 4th - the husband waiting in the car!

Sexist I know but I'm not allowed shopping with SWMBO now, apparently I moan that she wants to go down every single aisle took look at every product "do we really need Chinese roasted dog jerky dear?" Etc. I've noticed a lot of other guys sitting in their cars waiting on women.

I do 1 and 2 quite often but paid as 3 :D

And my shopping is man shopping!  I know what I want, I get it, and done!  Unless its Lidl where I might aimlessly look up and down the crap in the middle and buy myself a hand tool I never end up using :D

I eventually talked myself out of buying the £29.99 mig welder last year, even though it was a bargain. I havent mig'ed in over 30 years, and then only as apprentice training, so why the hell did I want it??

I do know someone with a shed full of "bargain" tools from Lidl, he didnt realise they were air powered, and doesnt own or want a compressor, but was too embarrassed to take them back.

Hate supermarket shopping,do my weekly shop at 7am (first in-first out)  at sainsburys Eastbourne its quiet pleasant at that time and the staff more than helpful.

Also and very important the carpark is empty so no door/trolley dents on my car.

Up to 3 years ago I used to shop at my local supermarket just after 6am, it was bliss, just other likewise folk either going or returning from work. But on say Fri or Sat morning you would get the odd pensioner couple clogging up the only checkout open with a trolley full.

Now retired it's a task to get me out of bed before 8am let alone go shopping.

Edited by MickA
  • Like 1

I cut through Tesco with my OAP style shallow trolley like a hungry stealth ninja and not a single second is wasted in my quest to buy the crap I decided before I went in! 

• Like 3

Im paid monthly, but shop weekly, then fresh top ups mid week.

Aim to be in the shop (dunnes stores due to the shop and save vouchers 100quid worth of food etc for 80, and 2 more vouchers for next week which will accepted by tesco.. just without the topup...) as close to opening time on saturday morning as i can so its quiet.

i get in, walj the aisles getting what i need and doing a mental tot to get as close to 100.00 as posible, then check out - pick one with a half load on it being put through, that gives a chance to load my stuff on the belt in right order for tetris packing the bags for life..

Tesco on a saturday and lidl/aldi on dole day are to be avoided like botulism...

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 1

Daily shopping is quite big at the moment. That's what the discounters and co-operative, budgens, costcutter are all aiming at these days.

People decide on tonight's/tomorrow's meals based on how they feel, recommendations from friends, reading magazines/papers/social media.

It also cuts down on waste buying only what you need, when you need it as people used to do years ago.

It's been happening for about 5 years now.

Do you whisper to each other in "David" voices - about the behaviour of the wildlife?

(Attenborough and Bellamy) :)

No, but we do cringe when the kids say things loudly like DADDY DADDY IS THAT A MAN? OR A WOMAN, DADDY?

• Like 3

Missed the 4th - the husband waiting in the car!

5th kind - merchandiser on a day off - follows what appears to be a very, very strange path around the store. It's actually a planned one that takes in the high-profit items only after shopping all other areas.

I know how to lay stuff out to make people buy it - like **** will I be following that honey trail when I'm spending money!

• Like 2

I don't miss the weekly shop.

Much easier to do it online and have it brought to you.

Where's the fun in THAT?  What about tasting stuff on the deli, what about finding new stuff?  What about the social interaction?

Order the same things each time?!

God, we all love wandering around, taking all the new stuff or seasonal offers in and meeting up with the townsfolk too-one of our favourite times of the week!

We do live in a small town with a fabulous Morrison's though......

Are people really that up against it that they have to shop when its pay day before its gone?

I quick shop when required, but normally just ignore the lack of fresh goods long enough for the girlfriend to do it  :D (on my card... doh).

Are people really that up against it that they have to shop when its pay day before its gone?

I quick shop when required, but normally just ignore the lack of fresh goods long enough for the girlfriend to do it :D (on my card... doh).

A fair chunk of the post bust population of ireland (thankfully not us) do have to yeah

As they are months in mortgage arrears, probably single crappy income as one or both lost their jobs in the crash and are genuinely struggling on a day by day basis..

Edited by mac11irl

Where's the fun in THAT? What about tasting stuff on the deli, what about finding new stuff? What about the social interaction?

Order the same things each time?!

God, we all love wandering around, taking all the new stuff or seasonal offers in and meeting up with the townsfolk too-one of our favourite times of the week!

We do live in a small town with a fabulous Morrison's though......

I don't recall the last time our supermarket had stuff to try.

I don't really see anyone I know, so the social interaction is limited to trying not to get wound up by out of control kids, or being rammed by a trolley.

We really don't miss it.

• Like 2

Gadgetman- one reason why I've used one of the store mobility scooters for some time. Biggest problem is  2"colleagues" pushing a shelf top-up trolley and chatting in oblivion to all around. After the second very near miss I used a trolley and now still do . Now I'm in something i can't get hurt in, I love playing the "guess when headless chicken is going to see me" game and keep going. Sometimes I stop, waiting to see if they actually see me before their trolley collides with the scooter.

mender- I think the last time I saw thing to test in the Deli was when the old lad (dog) was alive and that was over three years ago. I do have a "try before buy" on the fruit section.Grapes ,usually, but any small fruit that's open.  :nerd: .

But, I'm certain that there's a third form hidden in the shoppers. could it be removal of forward vision ,or lack of spatial awareness?

For those shopping in Sainsbury this weekend, if all as are ours, and are moving stock around to provide space for the "TU" clothing range- beware ,as not even the staff know where anything is, and those doing the move are agency staff, and from my experience chosen for their lack of English.

I do 1 and 2 quite often but paid as 3 :D

And my shopping is man shopping! I know what I want, I get it, and done! Unless its Lidl where I might aimlessly look up and down the crap in the middle and buy myself a hand tool I never end up using :D

I second this. I need to know what I need before I go. Get in get out. Can't stand wandering aisles, start at one end grab what I need and work my way up till finished then checkout and out.

I'm also one of the ones that does grocery shopping at 2am to avoid queues, screaming kids etc loo

Edited by Mikek3111

We visit Morrisons nearly daily .

There's a lake and walk next door  for our dogs.

We then have a cuppa and cake in their cafe where we know all the ladies.

We buy occasional stuff there, but all the rest at ALDI/LIDL( Don't tell Mr Morrison) :no:

• Like 1

We shop weekly.. just the one supermarket, no hopping around for us.

No dashing around either, a steady stroll aisle to aisle picking up what's on the list and maybe a few bits that aren't.. it's a wholly tolerable event unless the place is heaving with locals in which case I tend to make like a tree and get the hell outta there.