The complete ignorance of some people!

It's not just that people don't give a t*ss about others some people just don't understand the idea that a car is more than a tool.

My grandad reversed into someone in a supermarket car park and then drove off. My family thought it was excessive that the victim called the police, frankly I thought it wasn't on the police let him off with a warning and getting his insurance detail "because he was old".

Makes me want to give up on nice cars and get an old landrover. At least they look good with scrapes and you can be pretty sure whatever hit it came off worse.

• Like 1

As someone who buys cars from UK for export I can totally understand this thread. I've yet to come across a car for sale that hasn't had some sort of ding or dent from other idiots whacking it. It also seems to be a British problem as you don't find cars in such bad conditions elsewhere.

The other weird thing I'll never understand is why on earth people fill their coolant and wash liquid with tap water... 20 quid for some coolant and 3 for some wash liquid isn't going to break the bank and will last you a good couple of years.

Mate, that's most of the people in the UK down to a tee.

I used to do refit work for one of our higher end supermarkets, mainly in London. The amount of customers who would come in in a brand new 4x4, wearing all the latest clothes, chatting on their phone and name dropping that they were in the shop, then head straight to the reduced to clear bay was unbelievable.

I used to do refit work for one of our higher end supermarkets, mainly in London. The amount of customers who would come in in a brand new 4x4, wearing all the latest clothes, chatting on their phone and name dropping that they were in the shop, then head straight to the reduced to clear bay was unbelievable.

I've noticed this more and more when I've been there. The priority seems to be "make sure everyone thinks you're loaded even if you're not". I'd actually expect it more here where everything is 2x more expensive and the wages 4x less than in the UK yet people actually care more about maintaining what they've got and keeping things running for as long as they can. Part of the reason your used car market is so cheap is down to everything being on cheap finance deals (generally at 0%) and people just saying "I don't want a car with a 63 plate people will think I'm too poor for a new car" and so they know they can just ram other things as they'll get another car in two years time so "who cares". Sad really.

Edited by lulzyboy
  • Like 1

Spot on - These are the one stood at the meat counter asking for 2 slices of billy bear ham. Fur coat no knickers as the saying goes.

Spot on - These are the one stood at the meat counter asking for 2 slices of billy bear ham. Fur coat no knickers as the saying goes.

hang on, what's wrong with billy bear ham? :-)))
  • Like 2

I came back to my last car and someone had put a bag of shopping on its roof whilst they were trying to put a big box in through the rear door as they had parked too close to the wall to open their boot. I put the bag on the floor and had a go and asked why didn't they put it on their roof? They said they didn't want to scratch it!!! It took all my will power to not boot said bag as hard as I could across the carpark! Utter ****er

A friend said someone put a hot coffee on his car while they were loading theirs. Apparently that went flying lol

• Like 2

bit extreme that Banksie. :-)

Yep! It's not the people involved in that clip it's the thought behind it.

Choices have consequences!

Their choice,......Clint was the consequence!

Problem we have is there are no consequences for these peoples actions.

.... I've yet to come across a car for sale that hasn't had some sort of ding or dent from other idiots whacking it. It also seems to be a British problem as you don't find cars in such bad conditions elsewhere....

You've never seen cars in Paris, then. Or Palermo.

The fact of the matter is this, these days material goods such as cars and cloths are no indication of wealth, at all. And to be perfectly honest if you feel the need to impress with these items you really need to change your social circle.

There are good reasons people need credit if used responsably, it could be a car for work where a new car would give peice of mind when it comes to bills and reliability, so I don't think there should be any social stigma with credit.

I think the social stigma should be applied to undesirables getting credit with no intention of paying it back, hence they have the don't care attitude, these are the sort of scumbags who claim for personal injury when they have not sustained any.

I think people would be more responsible if they credit rules were tightened, so people had an interest in maintaining there car that they actually had to pay for, or should I say they actually owned it. Obviously this would not work for some people but it would give people a reality check on the value of things.

Edited by Alpha2110
  • Like 1

Lesson learnt - park the furthest away from the shop near a wall. Won't be making that mistake again.

Doesn't matter where you park it - you'll return to find a wreck of car very close to your car. (it always seems that way to me anyway!)

I parked mine well away from other cars the other day and did the healthy 100m walk to the supermarket only to find an old transit parked next to mine when I came out.

The fact of the matter is this, these days material goods such as cars and cloths are no indication of wealth, at all. And to be perfectly honest if you feel the need to impress with these items you really need to change your social circle.

There are good reasons people need credit if used responsably, it could be a car for work where a new car would give peice of mind when it comes to bills and reliability

I'd disagree, I don't think my 13 year old ibiza, which is a 30k a year work car, is any less reliable in real terms than a new car. Even if I didn't do my own spannering, it makes far more business sense than anything out there on tick. I could throw it away tomorrow and it would have paid for itself at least once.

I'd disagree, I don't think my 13 year old ibiza, which is a 30k a year work car, is any less reliable in real terms than a new car. Even if I didn't do my own spannering, it makes far more business sense than anything out there on tick. I could throw it away tomorrow and it would have paid for itself at least once.

Your incorrect, you only using one sample, for your argument. Go to autotrader and buy a 13 year old car, then tell me how reliable it is. Factor that in to the different types of motoring, and that heap would be on the side of the m1 waiting for the tow truck. The reason new cars are bought is people can plan costs up front and won't have surprise expenditure on car repairs, also having the inconvenience of not getting to work.

Before this car I had a 13 year old clio dci, and it was like maintaing the forth bridge, to keep it reliable. If I were to get a garage to replace most of the mechanicals It would have cost thousands, not to mention time of the road. It was like triggers brush.

• Like 1

Not off autotrader, no. But give me £500 and I'll find you a car you'll get a year out of quite easily. It won't be a Renault Clio though.

Quick straw poll - what was the last car you saw broken down? For me it was a 4 year old XF stuck on the A15, I stopped to see if she needed a hand and it wasn't going into gear.

I use the following checklist to avoid supermarket mishaps:

1. ​Is there likely to be limited members of the public at the supermarket?  Yes, go to 2 - No, stay at home
  2. Is the previous nights weather conditions good? i.e. no ice or snow  Yes, go to 3 - No, stay at home
  3. Are the current weather conditions benign? i.e. no strong winds  Yes, go to 4 - No, stay at home
  4. Can you make the trip without family members?  Yes, go to 5 - No, stay at home
  5. Can you park the furthest but walkable distance to the supermarket?  Yes, go to 6 - No, return home immediately
  6. Can you park in a single bay away from others?  Avoid parking across two bays, muppets recognise why you are doing this and acts as a magnet  Yes, go to 7 - No, return home immediately
  7. Can you park well away from trolley bays?  High risk area.  Yes, go to 7 - No, do not even stop the engine
  8. Is the car park clear of individual and abandoned rogue trolleys?  Yes, go to 8 - No, danger!
  9. Can you see your pride and joy that you have worked blooming hard to pay for from all of the aisles including the checkout?  Yes, enjoy the shopping trip knowing you have minimised risk - No, just do on-line shopping instead and play your PS4.

Works for me.

• Like 2

Problem solved - Tesco delivery.

Personally, it's got nothing to do with the cost, prestige or status of the car. I used to own a Fiat Punto and Peugeot 307 (not what I would classify as "status" cars).

I have always treated my cars well. I bought a new car because I wanted a new car (rather than always having 2nd hand) for the warrenty/knowledge nothing has gone wrong with it etc, required a car for work and wanted something nice to keep for 5+ years.

I'm not bothered by the "status" otherwise I would have bought a BMW 116 or a low spec A-Class bur instead wanted a nice car and went with a Skoda (wife also have a Skoda).

I just believe in values and standards. Look after your property and respect for others and their property. Regardless of others cars and the state there in, I would be respectful and not smack my door on someone else's.

• Like 1

I must admit to owning a few beat up cars in the past... And parking them on purpose next to really nice cars at the end of the carpark. But I was secretly protecting the nice cars although the owners might not have known it ;-)

• Like 1

Not off autotrader, no. But give me £500 and I'll find you a car you'll get a year out of quite easily. It won't be a Renault Clio though.

Quick straw poll - what was the last car you saw broken down? For me it was a 4 year old XF stuck on the A15, I stopped to see if she needed a hand and it wasn't going into gear.

Your missing the point, if I looked hard enough I could find an old car that was reliable with no money needed, not that it would last very long like this. Buy 10 old cars randomly and they can't be as reliable as 10 new cars, it's not posible.

I have a solution to this problem......

I have now joined the "I Park like a complete bell-end across two bays Team (Generally Audi Drivers)" It pains me to admit this.......  but I've had to fork out 000.0s over the years for other inconsiderate door opening habits to repair my cars to the original condition.

It happens so frequently that people seem to think is acceptable by saying sorry. Well sorry doesn't pay for the £400.00 repair for the quarter panel dent that was left on my last Octavia due to someone denting it with either a door or trolley etc etc.

I've actually witnessed a kid bouncing a trolley of the back of a Porsche Cayanne and his parent laughed and told him to stop being silly.......... (Yes I was also the grass that told the Porsche owner what happened......... but I mean FFS). Not everyone drives a 10 bob motor that they don't care about. I

I must admit it infuriates me when I see the people that park across two bays but I feel forced into joining the club to prevent such damages happening.

As someone who buys cars from UK for export I can totally understand this thread. I've yet to come across a car for sale that hasn't had some sort of ding or dent from other idiots whacking it. It also seems to be a British problem as you don't find cars in such bad conditions elsewhere.

Are you kidding me? The French are far worse...particularly the south of France. Down right dangerous driving most of the time, tons of tailgating and parking mayhem. They have no problem boxing you in and bumping your car forward if they can't get out of a space. Dents R Us.

Edited by Farsider