Lofty's Sprint Yellow Fabia vRS Mk1 - "Project Daffodil"

Lofty

11 hours ago, Dark_Hero said:

Looks perfect mate

Cheers Charlie. Although I did notice in the pic of the cap on the car that the new tether wasn't clipping into the filler flap properly so I've been and rescued the old peg from the old tether and used that, it now clips in perfectly.

I'm at the point now of mulling over exhaust solutions, hence trying to find a genuine Milltek 2.5" bore centre section that I can join (via v band clamps) to the downpipe and then into some sort of custom rear box and my downswept tailpipe. 

• Like 1

Good work, have you thought about how you’ll keep it from getting scratched on the body work when you fill it with fuel? 

Ive got a downswept tail pipe on mine, which bolted straight on to my piper system. But I think it’s only 2.25”

42 minutes ago, Dark_Hero said:

Good work, have you thought about how you’ll keep it from getting scratched on the body work when you fill it with fuel? 

Ive got a downswept tail pipe on mine, which bolted straight on to my piper system. But I think it’s only 2.25”

Don’t you clip it on the cap like your supposed to?

49 minutes ago, Dark_Hero said:

It sits on top of the flap like they all do.

6F04D001-60C2-414A-866B-3D4EA927DA5D.jpeg

Edited by Tech1e
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lofty, not sure I would be comfortable sanding my paint work for fear of taking too much off, I know that the use of a paint thickness tool is a must but even so.

I have an issue with my fuel cap rubber type lead -it separated from the filler neck whilst cleaning years of gunk off the filler neck rubber gasket thingy.

Very interesting project.

Cheers

5 hours ago, kentdale said:

Hi Lofty, this is my build sticker , I am not sure if mine is sprint yellow, it says the paint code is 6260.

Martin

20190527_153948.jpg

Not sure off the top of my head, and my boots too full to get to the build sticker, BUT as it’s says ASZ for engine type I’d say it’s more than likely to be Lemon Yellow as the Sprint only came in very late 2006 when the BLT engines were in full swing. What reg plate/year is the car?

Managed to get another few hours on the car today, lovely being at peace in the garage with some tunes on, doing stuff!

I have now finished the wet sanding and subsequent machine polishing of the entire drivers side, including the A pillar, B pillars and roof cant rail. 

By the time i had machined the paint I worked it out that on average, each panel has taken a couple of hours to do. Eek!

Once i had given everything an ipa wipe down I gave it all a coat of off the shelf chemical guys wax just to put a coating of something on it, then I found the new window rubbers out from stock.

OSR door..

96DD79FD-5EE9-4D23-977F-BCAD4B0F718A_zps

5DDF8C4F-F47A-4A08-A9EE-3F90FA4D0EAD_zps

The new moulding in question...

53801F9B-9E9B-4325-8F4D-BAEA98BF67BE_zps

AD663481-86DA-469A-9E33-87BE330EEEBF_zps

E6E752A2-5EC4-4168-8E14-7C82A22308E7_zps

Now the moulding is a push fit over the outer door skin but previous experience told me some sort of lube is essential for it to push down flush against the door, so plain water was sprayed into the rubber channel and the moulding pushed firmly into place. The water will dry out and it’ll stay stuck fast.

And fitted..

04C7A0E2-0B8A-4A7E-B714-10329118E898_zps

C4FD8A2B-902C-4843-B9AD-32BEBBA4078D_zps

I’m very pleased with the shine on the paint now!!!

I cannot easily fit the drivers window moulding as i am waiting to do that when I fit the refurbished mirrors in due course.

Next job is to get the measuring ruler out and measure exactly where the door mouldings go, using my Black vRS as reference! The area where they stick on will be panel wiped down to ensure no wax remains then I’ll pop them on. Can’t wait to see the carbon dipped mouldings against the fresh Sprint Yellow soon.

Edited by Lofty
Spelling
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, kentdale said:

Hi Lofty, it was delived to first owner on the 11/03/06,it's  reg is YD06 XVS.

Martin.

I’ve just seen the pics on your thread, as it’s got black door handles I’d say it’s Lemon Yellow. All the factory Sprints came with colour coded handles

Edit - just checked and 6260 paint code is lemon, 6226 is Sprint

Edited by Lofty

10 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Managed to get another few hours on the car today, lovely being at peace in the garage with some tunes on, doing stuff!

I have now finished the wet sanding and subsequent machine polishing of the entire drivers side, including the A pillar, B pillars and roof cant rail. 

By the time i had machined the paint I worked it out that on average, each panel has taken a couple of hours to do. Eek!

Once i had given everything an ipa wipe down I gave it all a coat of off the shelf chemical guys wax just to put a coating of something on it, then I found the new window rubbers out from stock.

OSR door..

5DDF8C4F-F47A-4A08-A9EE-3F90FA4D0EAD_zps

96DD79FD-5EE9-4D23-977F-BCAD4B0F718A_zps

The new moulding in question...

53801F9B-9E9B-4325-8F4D-BAEA98BF67BE_zps

E6E752A2-5EC4-4168-8E14-7C82A22308E7_zps

AD663481-86DA-469A-9E33-87BE330EEEBF_zps

Now the moulding is a push fit over the outer door skin but previous experience told me some sort of lube is essential for it to push down flush against the door, so plain water was sprayed into the rubber channel and the moulding pushed firmly into place. The water will dry out and it’ll stay stuck fast.

And fitted..

C4FD8A2B-902C-4843-B9AD-32BEBBA4078D_zps

04C7A0E2-0B8A-4A7E-B714-10329118E898_zps

I’m very pleased with the shine on the paint now!!!

I cannot easily fit the drivers window moulding as i am waiting to do that when I fit the refurbished mirrors in due course.

Next job is to get the measuring ruler out and measure exactly where the door mouldings go, using my Black vRS as reference! The area where they stick on will be panel wiped down to ensure no wax remains then I’ll pop them on. Can’t wait to see the carbon dipped mouldings against the fresh Sprint Yellow soon.

What a shine can almost read what's printed on the plastic oil type container in the reflection. 

Martin 

Just now, Lofty said:

I’ve just seen the pics on your thread, as it’s got black door handles I’d say it’s Lemon Yellow. All the factory Sprints came with colour coded handles

Oh I see.

Still nice shade in my opinion. 

Cheers.

37 minutes ago, AaronMountford1990 said:

How much did you get the outer door window seals for bud? Mine have pretty much given up, one squeaks constantly when moving, the other doesn't clean the window in the slightest -_-

They're not expensive, less than a tenner each rings a bell.