Lofty's Sprint Yellow Fabia vRS Mk1 - "Project Daffodil"

Lofty

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/02/2020 at 08:42, Lofty said:

Edit - trying to get the photobucket pictures to show... PITA!!

Hi Lofty , just started looking at your thread again and wondered where the pics had gone, I hope you are able to show them again I need some inspiration at the moment with my Lemon.

Martin

• 3 months later...
On 18/08/2020 at 16:34, Lofty said:

In the style of Jim from Friday Night Dinner.... "Hello All....."

It's been a while, nearly 12 months in fact since I gave a proper update, it's been a busy old year. We moved house mid November 2019, not far, less than 2 miles in fact but we have gone from renting to owning again after a few years. 

Needless to say, the house that was pretty much perfect, move straight in etc has occupied every single hour of spare time and money and the poor car has sat under cover in the new garage. Good news is the house is pretty much finished and the enforced COVID-19 lockdown period has allowed me to finish 5 years worth of house DIY in 6 months!

Some of you may remember the slightly bigger garage at the new house, in fact it's a usable large tandem garage that has been significantly enhanced in the period we have been here. I have insulated the roof, plasterboarded, 7x new 6' Twin LED lights, cut and installed a large double glazed window where there was a plain wall, new composite door to the patio as well as grinding the whole concrete floor by hand before laying a screed of Ardex K301 concrete floor compound. Oh yeah and a new electric roller door.

The plan was to build a lovely space to keep the car / cars and have a well lit, warm and dry place to do detailing & maintenance, so I have fitted the end of the garage out with units and worktop/tiles to finish it off.

Here is how the garage looked to start with..

405189A3-5B66-4BE6-BD43-3F4DE6856167_zps

A250F073-E217-43DF-97CA-C25B1D4C332E_zps

355E03D8-FA06-410B-BE4B-CCC0AFE83B0B_zps

Fast forward many months of graft, DIY injuries, late nights, early mornings and we're nearly finished now...

2BBCB8AF_53C1_45D6_8042_462881EAC09B_IMG
9704391F_D1E0_4EE7_9E5E_CF837E618915_IMG
CD4B59FE_BB7E_4828_A57B_BFAE1D0AA4C3_IMG
309EDA8C_ABAA_49CA_9640_24F74EDE662D_IMG
D82F9BD4_25A9_4B7C_B3EE_BE396DDD7D55_IMG

Coupled with the internals, we have had the front of the house changed, new driveway, fences, as well as rear decking - and I though cars could absorb money....

Upshot is, if anyone's still reading, is that i'll be back on the car soon, getting some more part from TPS the weekend so I've no excuse now to get stuck into it.

Just need to Epoxy resin coat the garage floor first....

Thanks for reading!

Matt

Hi Lofty, pleased to see you back, I might possibly have garage envy, mines still ok for one car tho.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rejoice! i'm starting to get back onto the yellow car at last.

The yellow vRS is fitted with the Bilstein B14 coilover kit which for those of you who have seen it, has the height adjusters on TOP of the rear spring, between the spring and the body. Ever since I fitted the kit, and despite the adjusters being wound all the way to their lowest setting, it looked a little high on the back.

I ordered from TPS a pair of new rear spring rubbers, and set to work the other evening. I lowered the rear beam down and removed the Bilstein rear springs and height adjusters, replacing them with the new OE rubber mounts. Fitted like a glove and has now lowered the car by about 25mm. The springs are still held in tight between the rear beam and the body, so no danger of being too low.

I still have a access to the Black vRS which I sold to a friend so I was able to ask him to measure up the height of the top of the rear arch from the ground, and now the yellow one is EXACTLY the same as that. That car was lowered on some cheap Stance + coilovers and the height was always bang on in my mind.

No pics of this as the car is still in the garage so it's hard to get side on pics.

I have however started mocking up the rear tailpipe on the exhaust.

76C6E52F_45D5_4AB0_93D5_D00D3998D276_IMG
DFBE5382_BD66_451C_B41F_083599864720_IMG
113A1B06_A62B_4383_9E9D_63A5D923EFA3_IMG
3B1C8481_79A2_42BE_97DE_88E219076CDB_IMG

Its a brushed stainless 3" downswept tailpipe welded onto a 3" pipe which will be joined to the new back box (when made) with a stout V-Band clamp which will make cleaning the tailpipe easy off the car.

Just need to sort the back box out once the car is running.

I'm working through a list of small niggly jobs but hopefully we'll be at the point soon of turning the key.

I do have a "marmite" update on the yellow one which i'll share with you soon. That will 100% divide opinon….

Matt

• Like 1

Look at this, two updates in two days, bit like the old times...

Right, here we go. I've fancied doing something different with the wheels for a little while, as the car will be a very lightly used garage queen / show pony etc, I feel able to exercise some "bravery".

I'm not 100% certain where this idea / inspiration has come from, in my mind it was old press pictures of the mid 90s Porsche 968 Clubsport in Yellow, and someone also pointed out a similar color scheme on the Felicia Fun.... so judge the following based on either of those two mental images LOL

Yellow wheels. There - I've said it.

For now (disclaimer alert) I have had only one wheel done, which happens to be the full size 17" spare wheel - same style as the rest of them so you'll get the idea....

BCE5D615_8219_4862_AD59_B7DDE95AD7C7_Ful
390BF030_E353_465A_9029_46993FC4E601_Ful
A5BD6C2E_B7E1_4D40_93F1_5DE9339F31C4_Ful
3A6C43CA_071E_4E2E_A2A6_74C70744DF4A_IMG
B6C7C8AB_1FD1_4796_AC68_D1711D84BC5C_Ful

I'm letting the idea settle at the moment before, or indeed IF I commit to having the rest of them done. It's a marmite move, but i'm certain I've not seen any UK Fabia's in Sprint Yellow with matching wheels.

Let me know what you think? (might regret asking that ha ha ha)

Matt

(EDIT - I know the front needs lowering, that's next on the list)

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Yeah, not sure about the yellow wheels, but can’t really decide on the basis of one wheel. But why not!

Glad to read that you managed to turn the engine over after two years ..... gives me hope my donor engine might be alright after a similar time not moving :biggrin:

Edited by jars

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update folks...

I loaded the new map onto the ecu, a base map for a 2.0 PD with the bigger nozzles, repaired the broken wire to the fuel temp sensor and then went for a fire up.

It ran but badly, wouldn't rev up, as soon as any revs were applied it died, showing up crank sensor fault. Replaced with new genuine crank sensor and while it'll now rev up, it wont idle, throwing up Glow plug flashing light and eml light. Still showing as crank sensor fault. Could it be another faulty sensor?

Anyone got any ideas how to check the sensor in situ to see if it's duff? Or how to check for wiring breaks up to the sensor connections? I kept the original crank sensor just in case as well.

• 1 month later...

Not really much in the way of a full update. I have sourced a supposedly good (but used and still 15yr old) engine loom, and have bitten the bullet and ordered a new engine loom from TPS. That way I can rule out any electrical maladies from ECU to engine at least.

I have a new camshaft signal sensor to go on, so that means ALL the engine sensors are now brand new, Crank Sensor, Cam Sensor, CTS Sensor, Fuel Temp Sensor and MAF sensor as well. I have yet to collect the loom from TPS as it has had to be sourced from outer Mongolia it seems, so that will be this week at some point. 

If I still have Crank signal issues it's pointing to the signal reluctor ring on the crank possibly having a bent tooth (could have knocked it refitting the crank maybe) so that might mean sump coming off to check. That will deff have to wait till after xmas.

In the meantime I have sourced a bolt in rear strut brace (purely because I like the cosmetic look of it....) and had it powdercoated in RAL 6029 (mint green) This matches the calipers perfectly, so that has been fitted.

001(5).jpg

Excuse the pile of corruption in the boot... :blink:

Whilst at the mercy of the powdercoaters, I decided to have the front strutbrace done to match as it will provide a splash of colour in the engine bay.

001(4).jpg

Please note the front brace isn't fitted properly, just popped roughly in place to take a pic, as I've got to strip a bit of the engine bay back out it made little sense bolting it down fully.

A while ago, prob 2 years tbh, I found a seller on facebook with the rare rear seat with the middle rear headrest option. Middle of nowhere in wet wales I picked it up for not a lot of money (£30 from memory) and stored it in the loft, I knew it was grubby and would need a deep clean so that's what else I've been doing.

Before...

001(5).JPG

001(4).JPG

001(2).JPG

Grubby but not holed or damaged thankfully. I did toy with the idea of stripping the material off the seat and washing it but the backrest looked possibly the hardest to do so I cleaned it in one piece. Using my trusted Autosmart Bio-Brisk interior shampoo, a splash of Bilt Hamber surfex in with it, I set to scrubbing the seat then extracting using very hot water in the extraction machine.

After one pass...

001(9).JPG

001(8).JPG

001(6).JPG

In all it has taken four sessions of scrubbing, extracting and drying to get it clean...

001(18).JPG

Nearly 100% dry now so can be fitted into the car this week.

Now I was left with the rear seat squab and other back rest of the used manky seat I bought, so I have stripped the upholstery off the seat bases just now in readiness to machine wash. Not a pretty sight...

001(13).JPG

001(12).JPG

001(14).JPG

These are currently having a good session in the washing machine at 40c so i'll see what they come out like. I suspect they will need to be washed again to get all the filth off. The water and suds in the machine was brown. And the missus noticed....

Once they are clean and dry i'll put them away somewhere safe for a little side project I have planned..... (watch this space)

Next interior job is to get the drivers seat out and then find in my loft, pretty much the last new seat foam base that was available from factory, purchased in 2015. I need to replace the base foam in the driver seat as it's starting to break down on the drivers side edge bolster an I don't want the material going in a hole over the framework.  More pics on that when I get to it.

Matt

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...