Family Car?

Hi all, 

Very curious to get other peoples opinions (possibly biassed given this forums main target audience) but how do you see the vRS? A family car? Executive car? (I won't insult you and put boy racer into the category). 

The reason I ask is because I am only 20 and receive my new vRS TDI in 2 weeks and upon telling my peers and colleagues I get a lot of stick for having a "Family" car followed by a lot jokes of me becoming a dad and if I've already chosen a baby seat... I'm happy to shrug it off because I'm not the one driving the Vauxhall Corsa but I'd like to get some thoughts on what you think? 

I know 100% before I ordered or even decided to purchase one I thought to myself they are extremely smart?

Thanks all, 

The Octavia MKIII Vrs is a family car with some. Oooommmppphhhhhh.

My new 230 Vrs will be my third Octavia VRs, I've also had 2 Fabia MKI Vrs, a Fabia MKII Vrs and a Octavia MK I Vrs

Between me and Mrs Goldfinger we have had 24 Skoda's.

A family Car...................definately

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 2

I bought my first Octavia VRS at 26, I don't feel like I'm driving a family car. To me it's a well put together car with plenty of power, a carnivorous boot and back seats that adults can sit in.

We're there any other cars that ticked as many boxes within budget? I nearly bought a Leon Cupra but was warned (by a Saet salesman) against it due to the depreciation

• Like 1

Obviously the estate could be seen as more a family car than the hatch, (Not sure what the OP has/is getting) but it is based on the golf isn't it? That's a medium size car. Would they comment the same if you bought a golf?

To me it ticks a lot of boxes and is fantastic fun to drive. Just because you are young/no kids/dog etc doesn't mean you can only drive small corsa/fiesta types.

You have made a smart choice and I'm sure there is a large element of jealousy for someone so young to have a vRS.

It's not an executive car imo though. Enjoy it, I'm sure you will!

.......although you did get a diesel

It's a brilliant all-rounder and can be as quick or as slow as your right foot.

It can be left unfettled or taken to stage 3 and around 500bhp if that's what you want.

Load space is beyond compare in its class. (why are so many Taxis an Octy)

The list of pros is endless, the con list is short. :finger: the haters

• Like 1

If I could of afforded a VRS at 20 I would of jumped at the chance. I bought mine for me :) as I've been driving a 7 seater for the past few years so my wife now has the family car (qashqai) and I've got mine for just cruising to work. Saying all that I still bought it with the family in mind if I was single I may of bought a GTI or maybe not.  

• Like 1

Family car for me, but I do have a family. I had a MKV Jetta when I was 21. I got the same comments as you did. Family car, old mans car etc etc. Didn't hear many complaints when I was driving them to football and they had acres of space however.

You won't be able to hear their 'funny' comments and ribbing when you leave them standing at the lights.

It's almost certainly a family car, but one for the type of owner that appreciates value, space, refinement and oh power!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought my first Octavia VRS at 26, I don't feel like I'm driving a family car. To me it's a well put together car with plenty of power, a carnivorous boot and back seats that adults can sit in.

We're there any other cars that ticked as many boxes within budget? I nearly bought a Leon Cupra but was warned (by a Saet salesman) against it due to the depreciation

Exactly how I pictured it when I purchased it. I did look at alternatives such as the Seat Leon FR and Golf. But as far as the Leon went the interior didn't stand out for me which is something I appreciate a lot more and for a Golf MK7 the sheer extra cost for the much more reduced space seemed pointless?

Obviously the estate could be seen as more a family car than the hatch, (Not sure what the OP has/is getting) but it is based on the golf isn't it? That's a medium size car. Would they comment the same if you bought a golf?

To me it ticks a lot of boxes and is fantastic fun to drive. Just because you are young/no kids/dog etc doesn't mean you can only drive small corsa/fiesta types.

You have made a smart choice and I'm sure there is a large element of jealousy for someone so young to have a vRS.

It's not an executive car imo though. Enjoy it, I'm sure you will!

.......although you did get a diesel

I'm getting a hatch. And yes, it is entirety is based of a Golf which for the lesser price and as I said above more space seemed like a no brainer? And I can 100% guarantee they wouldn't as one of the lads I get comments from drives a GTI, haha.

I did get a diesel, yes haha. That is down to travelling to a from work every week and unfortunately I'm in the military and not the financial industry to afford the running costs!  

If I could of afforded a VRS at 20 I would of jumped at the chance. I bought mine for me :) as I've been driving a 7 seater for the past few years so my wife now has the family car (qashqai) and I've got mine for just cruising to work. Saying all that I still bought it with the family in mind if I was single I may of bought a GTI or maybe not.  

Would the cost not influence your decision in that case if you weren't family orientated? 

Define a family car.

A Vauxhall Corsa is a family car for some.

The Octavia is a car.

The estate is a car with a more accessible boot.

The vRS is a car that looks a bit nicer and rides a bit firmer.

Any derogatory comments are jealousy, nothing more.

• Like 2

Definitely a family car for me; I specifically bought it as my family wagon

And you won't be leaving a GTI behind at the lights.... It's probably a bit unfair to call the tdi slow, but it certainly ain't fast

Exactly, when I took delivery of my latest one of my colleagues said "oh, another Skoda" Yeah nicer than your 04 focus mate

• Like 1

Define a family car.

A Vauxhall Corsa is a family car for some.

The Octavia is a car.

The estate is a car with a more accessible boot.

The vRS is a car that looks a bit nicer and rides a bit firmer.

I agree completely, however as I'm sure you're entirely aware? There is a massive blanket of stereotypes! And although a Vauxhall Corsa can be and is a family car to some (which isn't a issue) but would you say a Maserati GranCabrio is a family car just cause it has 4-seats and a boot?

Definitely a family car for me; I specifically bought it as my family wagon

And you won't be leaving a GTI behind at the lights.... It's probably a bit unfair to call the tdi slow, but it certainly ain't fast

I guess when you have an E39 M5 it's hard to call many modern hatches fast, haha. I think the output on this will be much more superior to my 2009 Vauxhall Astra 1.6l petrol.

I have the VRS Wagon...and no family riding in it beyond me and the missus!

I like Wagons - they are practical for when I need the extra space and I think the Wagon looks better than the lift back - and it is amazing how quickly those who sneer at them change their tune when they need help moving...

For me it is a relatively stealthy, handsome, practical, fun to drive car. When i have family and friends to stay, the fact that I can move 5 adults and their gear around in comfort or drop the seats to load the thing up with cargo is the icing on the cake.

I also quite enjoy the fact that some folks still think Skoda is a joke brand (maybe 20 years plus ago) and are always quite surprised when they see it in the flesh and ride in it.

Enjoy your car mate - I am sure you will.

Edited by Item
  • Like 3

Would the cost not influence your decision in that case if you weren't family orientated? 

Yes, this is a big reason I went for the VRS, the amount of extra kit I get in mine would of cost a fortune in a new golf. My father in law who's 50, has just last week bought a GTI, its a very nice car but I prefer my Skoda and for what he paid as a demo car with about 3k on the clock I got mine brand new with more kit :) 

• Like 1

Yeah if I'd been able  to afford a vRS at 20 I would have jumped at the chance too. I'm 28 now and got my one two weeks before my birthday last year. I still fancy owning Mk I at some point.

Having plenty of room for the family was a consideration at the back of my mind when I ordered it but it wasn't essential as we have a Roomster as the main family car. The fact the Octavia has so much room is an added bonus.

Its a sensible choice, but not really exciting, especially a diesel.

But what's important is, it works for you and does what you want.

I think they're great! I've been in a lot of Octavias just by test drives. I don't think it's a family car for me, some people like to drive big cars but all depends on needs.

Don't feel bad about it! I'm 21 and I've got an order for the octavia vrs 230!

I disagree I think the vRS is a fairly exciting car... Certainly much more so than than most of the stuff plodding around on the road (ok perhaps not the diesel maybe I don't know mines a petrol)

My dad has a mid range golf that cost 2k MORE than my vRS yet mine is head and shoulders above it in every way IMO. Nicer to look at, better engine (his is a 2 litre diesel) and the interior in his average.

That said it is a family car, best of both worlds a bit of fun to drive and I like how it looks.... But also good for the kids and the dogs etc

Oh and the estate looks much better than the hatch too!

.... To me it's a well put together car with plenty of power, a carnivorous boot and back seats that adults can sit in.

I wondered what happened to our dog......   :D

• Like 1

I'd like to know how all these youngsters can afford to buy and insure a vRS...

To be honest, I can only afford it as I live at home.. The quote I got for the 230 was cheaper than the 220 and by the time i put options on the 220, 230 was cheaper. Yes I realise it's a 28k car, but 400 a month isn't that much in my eyes and I'm still saving at least 1000 pounds a month in terms for a house. That still gives me 700 of my own pocket to use upon insurance (which is 938 for the year).