My Octavia is finally ready for summer (Photos inside)

Oxboll

Nice car, but...maybe I'm too old as well, because in my opinion you went waaay too far with those wheels. The "curb here I come" being one part and excessive lowering being the other overkill.

Obviously there is not enough clearance, especially in front. I'm guessing when you are breaking and cornering at the same time, you hear some "funny noises" every now and then.

But it's just me being to grumpy maybe :p

I like to see it also, but that is just what it is - a car to be looked at. Pretty sure that drivability is affected by these mods...

In Finland it is not legal to have a rim that sticks out of the wheel arch. And they WILL fine you.

But it is your car, so... It does look great and I guess that is what you going for ;)

Nice car, but...maybe I'm too old as well, because in my opinion you went waaay too far with those wheels. The "curb here I come" being one part and excessive lowering being the other overkill.

Obviously there is not enough clearance, especially in front. I'm guessing when you are breaking and cornering at the same time, you hear some "funny noises" every now and then.

But it's just me being to grumpy maybe :p

I don't expect everybody to like the look of my car - especially when the Skoda community is known to have a fair percentage  of "old" men who thinks 16" inch rims gives a harsh ride   :p  :notme:  

On a serious note though, everything is clearing, and I have no "funny noises" with regular driving - Not even with full turn of the steering wheel (I have had the tire hit the fender lining once, when i hit a BIG dip in the road).

The H&R Deep Coilovers have camber adjustment and the front have been tucked in an additional degree or two, but still keeping the numbers "green" when aligning the car. 

That said, I would probably do a 215/35/19 tire next time i swap.

The H&R Deep Coilers gives a nice ride you wouldn't expect from a car this low.

• Like 2

I like to see it also, but that is just what it is - a car to be looked at. Pretty sure that drivability is affected by these mods...

In Finland it is not legal to have a rim that sticks out of the wheel arch. And they WILL fine you.

But it is your car, so... It does look great and I guess that is what you going for ;)

Making "speculations" again?

I drive 35.000 km a year, so, no it's not a car only used to be looked at, this is a daily driver.   ;)

• Like 2

I don't expect everybody to like the look of my car - especially when the Skoda community is known to have a fair percentage  of "old" men who thinks 16" inch rims gives a harsh ride   :p  :notme:

That said, I would probably do a 215/35/19 tire next time i swap.

Aesthetics are personal matter I would say and I'm not bashing, so you don't need to get all that defensive - no worries :p

Technically though (yep, can't stop being an engineer for a moment) even if it kinda-works it's simply not optimal for the task. Just like a huge rear wing some people put on their cars or subwoofers taking most of the cargo space, etc, etc. If things get overcooked, quite quickly the compromises made on the way outweigh benefits; i.e. 4 subwoofers do not sound 4 times "better" than one, but do take 4 times the space, which is a measurable loss.

That said - there are lowered cars that look and most likely perform great...for example my recent favorite:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/296662-post-your-mk3-octavia-photos/page-90#entry4631056

Same thing, just made in a bit more balanced way; wheel center points +/- meet arch centers. Maybe a click or two on the front shocks would bring you similar effect.

My car sits on 18" and yes, it is pretty harsh/noisy at times; to get it a bit smoother I'm planning a change to 45 profile from 40 I have now...just need to check if I do not run into insurance or warranty mess.

And no, I'm no "old men" yet, just medium-well-done so to say ;D

As a proof of being not fully practical, I'm planning to get a complete aftermarket exhaust system, which is utterly, completely useless...besides adding that revving music I love :D

And I do like your car, the detailing in particular!

Cheers

Edited by wlange
  • Like 1

Miserable skoda owners yes lol.

Looks nice. Great wheels. Nice to see something different and not just another vrs.

I think the skoda owner age group is showing through.....

Edited by octavianestate
  • Like 1

Car looks great mate....

Have been looking around for some VAG stable wheels for mines once im ready to swap the extremes

Touareg wheels are high on the list but need PCD adaptors. Phaeton Helios wheels are also tempting me

• Like 1

I would put myself firmly in the "old man" Skoda club.

But I have to say I really like the look of your car.

The wheels in particular look great on the car, the graphite colour with the metallic grey.

Maybe I'm biased because its my winter configuration is the same (Metallic Grey with Grpahite wheels).

Also the detailing & photography are top-notch.

• Like 2

Making "speculations" again?

I drive 35.000 km a year, so, no it's not a car only used to be looked at, this is a daily driver.   ;)

Nah, I have driven a car that was low (still not as low as that...) and I know what it was like.

You seem to have some attitude issues - that is not much compatible with the sense of community.

...or are you just here to seek positive validation? :)

Carry on, you and your car.

No, I'm all for community, and sharing information, if others what to do something similar.  

I do however have problems with people passing on speculations as facts. 

People can see for themself here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/394966-19-rims-pcd-and-offset/?p=4593261

That should clear things up...

Nice looking car.

Don't let my wife drive it. She chews up rims and spits them out for breakfast

Fortunately my partner doesn't have a drivers licence.  :whew:

She works downtown and loves her bike and taking public transport   :dull:  

That should clear things up...

Of course it does :)

It clearly shows that you call "fit" when the rims stick outside of the wheel arches, which in most places is illegal, not to mention that if you hit a bump at speed you might be in for a nasty surprise.

Adding to it, you seem to have this soapbox complex :)

Poor kid... Let's us know all about it - we are here to help :)

Oh, mighty one... Enlighten us all :)

Fortunately my partner doesn't have a drivers licence.  :whew:

She works downtown and loves her bike and taking public transport   :dull:

The answer of a true macho - should she stick to the kitchen also? :)

Of course it does :)

It clearly shows that you call "fit" when the rims stick outside of the wheel arches, which in most places is illegal, not to mention that if you hit a bump at speed you might be in for a nasty surprise.

Adding to it, you seem to have this soapbox complex :)

Poor kid... Let's us know all about it - we are here to help :)

Oh, mighty one... Enlighten us all :)

SIGH,

If you would care to read the thread, it should be perfectly clear, that it's not the same fitment you are referring to, its not even the same car!!

The car - Race blue - in the "19" Rims - PCD and Offset" thread is my parents. The car in this thread - Quartz grey - is mine!

• Administrators

I was away when this was posted... I like it. I could not own it for where I drive the potholes and road bumps would eat the bodywork for breakfast and spit out the wheel someway down the road. If you ever come to the UK, Scotland is lovely, raise it up a few inches ;) I think it's also an issue on the wheels being beyond the arches... but the chances of an officer stopping you are slim... I do like those wheels, but I'd of kerbed them by now :D

Different rules for different countries and of course different perspectives.  Car styling and to some extent tuning has always, and will always have an element of choices being "marmite" ( UK-ism for love it or hate it ). 

Let's also try not to type out judgement or jibes, it's easy to take something out of context and spin it to an insult when no provocation was invited, so let us not be those people :) 

• Like 1

That looks fantastic mate!! OEM Bentley?

Any rubbing on the front? is there plenty of room towards the inside? 

Makes me wonder if VW Savannah wheels from Tiguan will fit our car (19x9 et33). Are you running Falken FK451? As long as it doesn't make any funny noise I wouldn't swap them with thinner tyres. 

That looks fantastic mate!! OEM Bentley?

Any rubbing on the front? is there plenty of room towards the inside? 

Makes me wonder if VW Savannah wheels from Tiguan will fit our car (19x9 et33). Are you running Falken FK451? As long as it doesn't make any funny noise I wouldn't swap them with thinner tyres. 

Thanks!

Yes, these are OEM Bentley - Continental GT wheels. (9x19 ET41)

Even at full lock theres no scrapping on the fender lining, The tires are Falken 453

IMHO 9x19 ET33 is a no go on the Octavia. 

9x19 ET41 only works because the H&R Deep coilovers have adjustable camper plates.

We adjusted the camber, pulling the wheel it in at the top by 1 cm, which however still gave all green numbers while aligning the car. 

Edited by Oxboll