Seat

In the absence of a Furby vRS I am seriously contemplating a defection and buying swmbo ;) an Ibiza Cupra, which with every option ticked is coming in at under £16.5k from DtD which seems like a bit of a bargain for the spec and performance, so the question is, does anyone know the dealer(location) that DtD use for SEAT? And any comments good or bad about the motor.

TIA

Not many out there yet.

Out of interest have you priced up a 3 door VW Polo GTI 1.8TSI Manual with some spec.?

That will not be the depreciation disaster that the Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8TSI Manual will no doubt be.

I have to be honest and admit I visited a VW garage over the weekend to look at a polo, and I was very disappointed,

A) as a reasonably big bloke I found the cabin small and tight around the knees

B) imo the product felt tinny lightweight and of low quality!! I was seriously disappointed the doors felt like they had come from an 80'S Ford!

Residuals was the point of looking but even after DtD to spec the Polo anywhere near the SEAT was an extra £3k and the SEAT felt a better place to be imo and looked better from the outside.

• Like 4

What's the ride like?  Post 2008 Ibiza's on Sport suspension have always been notoriously hard-riding.

If that's not an issue I'd certainly have one new (but never a pre-owned FR or Cupra!). I currently have a '15 Ibiza extra slow edition which is nicely built and cheap.

Not many out there yet.

Out of interest have you priced up a 3 door VW Polo GTI 1.8TSI Manual with some spec.?

That will not be the depreciation disaster that the Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8TSI Manual will no doubt be.

A 20k+ car for 16k is taking a big bite out of the depreciation from the start don't you think?

It sure is if you get at for that price. Good if buying a keeper. The issue is if you do not keep and the only decent trade in offer you get is against another Seat.

Could say the same about any performance variation of any mainstream hatch.

What's the ride like?  Post 2008 Ibiza's on Sport suspension have always been notoriously hard-riding.

Given the state of the roads I test drove on the ride was reasonably compliant especially compared to the opposition, Fiesta st etc.

Actually I do not think you can say the same thing about other Manufacturers Hot Hatches which have rather more sales by volume than Seat. The VWG small warm hatch or small hot hatch sales have been low and of them Seat have been less than popular purchases used, even ex demonstrators with low mileages.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

In the absence of a Furby vRS I am seriously contemplating a defection and buying swmbo ;) an Ibiza Cupra, 

I have to be honest and admit I visited a VW garage over the weekend to look at a polo, and I was very disappointed,

A) as a reasonably big bloke I found the cabin small and tight around the knees

B)

On your first post, expostmanpat, you have quite clearly stated the car is for Swmbo so your reasonably big boby shouldn't count as you won't be driving it

:no:       ;)

• Like 1

On your first post, expostmanpat, you have quite clearly stated the car is for Swmbo so your reasonably big boby shouldn't count as you won't be driving it

:no:       ;)

I'm sure she'd allow him to be in the co-driver's seat though.

Actually I do not think you can say the same thing about other Manufacturers Hot Hatches which have rather more sales by volume than Seat. The VWG small warm hatch or small hot hatch sales have been low and of them Seat have been less than popular purchases used, even ex demonstrators with low mileages.

Not sure what volume as to do with it, surely lower sales = scarcity on 2nd hand market = stronger prices. Look at the offers on Peugeot 208 £5k + off, fiesta and focus ST's £4.4k. Hell you can pick up a 2 month old Octavia vRS tdi on delivery miles for £20k.

Anyways I am sure we agree that whatever 'performance' car you buy at the low end of the market, you are not buying as an investment!  You buy new in the knowledge it hasn't been thrashed, you pay secondhand in the belief it has, hence they all depreciate for fun. Saving 20% + from any of them probably brings them into the 50% over 3 years loss of a more cooking fat model. 

Cars are just about the worst thing you can buy, the Octy on the drive atm is a 1.4 estate that had a £20k list price 3.5 years ago, DtD came in at around £15.5k. It as done around 25k miles is in a1 condition fsh etc etc and WBAC values it at £7.5k. Fairly sure that in 3 years time I would get that for the Biza if needed.

You seem to have it all worked out, done the man maths,. know what surely things cost and what you get, 

so sorted, seems like you are ready to buy, just need the Dealer that is going to supply at the price you were quoted.

Maybe these Seat will sell better than the recent petrols. There is a lack of demand new and a lack of demand used, but Seat UK will do as usual and first register enough and there is no supply and demand reason or shortage for holding value
If you like a car and want a bargain then that's what they are.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Many lost 50% or more in 3 years on £20,000 plus Polo GTI Twinchargers And Obviously that was less than 50% on a £18,000 Ibiza Cupra Twincharger, if it was only 50% or if you even got a buyer for a 3 or 4 year old one
But if you want a keeper or look at the reality it is just the car you want and the money you are prepared to pay.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

• Administrators

We can get quotes for SEAT too :) Handy having a few skoda dealers who have more than skoda in the mix.

on the no fabia vrs, I guess the VAG dust has settled and it's a clear case of 'sporty' head to seat or skip to audi, vw maybe a staging post. Family sport/value economics etc lie on the octavia vrs, for which I reckon its still a very strong contender, but pricing is making others look just as appealing.

No-one knows how far the vw emission cloud will reach, I mean a vw should hold residual better... 

Audi did the A1 185PS & the Quattro or S1 as their Hot Hatches and nothing current other than a S1 awd.

Seat and VW have the Ibiza or Polo with 192ps.

These are smaller / lighter & obviously cheaper than the A3 /S3, Golf GTI / R, Leon Cupra and not in the same Octavia Class.

It is Skoda that have small family or City Cars like the Citigo or Fabia with no go, the most you get is 110ps.

A pity really when they talk of Motorsport History, Heritage and success and their current rally cars are the Fabia R5.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

Im 95% sure that DtD use JCB seat in Ashford for their Seat cars... (and JCB are also usually top value when on CarWOW)

The Ibiza Cupra is a nice motor... i very very nearly bought one a couple of weeks ago.

:no: ;)

:o
  • Like 1

Beware the road noise.

Previously had a 2010 Ibiza with nice fat alloys and body kit, looked a nice car. But they have no sound proofing at all. It was genuinely painfully loud in the cabin.

Coupled with rear drum brakes that would seize at any hint of moisture in the air meant we shifted the car on after only 6 months. ICE was also weird and tricky to use whilst driving. 1.4 petrol was under powered.

They look nice Seats, I still like the style of the cars but buy with care since there is a lot of penny pinching going on.

I'm enjoying my 2010 FR diesel.

It was the logical choice a couple of years back when my mk1 Fabia VRS got written off, and there wasn't a powerful TDI mk2 Fabia.

I've not clicked with it as well as i did with said VRS but that might be down to considerably less modifying and making it "my own".

It does everything I need it to do though, it's a relatively nice place to be on a journey, the CR engine is great (and the dtuk box gives it some teeth), the economy is brilliant, and (as far as i can see) it's the best looking of all latest gen ibizas (which got softened after 2010)

I have to agree with most of the negatives brought up though.

The road noise is pretty bad, but that may be the fault of my winter tyres on summer roads.

The suspension does seem unforgiveably harsh. I wouldn't say it's overly hard but it doesn't seem to manage very anything well.

The wife's A3 S-line with it's lower, harder suspension, 18" wheels, and rubber band tyres rides equally badly.

A test drive in a Renault Megane sport with it's hardest available "Cup" suspension felt loads better than either of them - but I guess you get what you pay for.

The stereo is indeed all over the place, i think it got improved on later models but the interface in obstructive is the least and down right confusing at times.

I've plugged by ipod in, stuck it in AUX mode and have left it alone for 2 years! :) That said bruv it does go proper loud boooiiii!

The arse has fallen out of the prices, but that is a Seat soft point i think.

£8500 purchase price 2 and half years and 20,000 miles ago is now more like £4000 to trade in.

I've had a fair few SEATs (plus worked at two different main dealers).

MK1 Ibiza 1.2

MK2 Ibiza GTi

MK4 Ibiza FR 1.8T (current)

MK5 Ibiza Bocanegra

MK1 Leon TDi

All have been great cars in their own right for different reasons.

The road noise is pretty bad, but that may be the fault of my winter tyres on summer roads.

My Cordoba was incredibly noisy on 14" 185 wheels. I'd say on par with my Fabia when its on 16" RSRs, with polybushes and quite a bit of missing sound deadening (excluding exhaust noise). I know why too... the Seats have a lot less sound deadening all round than the Fabia Mk1.

The 3 door Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4TSI / DSG was heavier 2009-2012 & 2012-2015 than the Skoda Fabia vRS 5 door Hatch or vRS Estate.

& the vRS Hatch had 25kg Ballast on the rear crash bar.

Same engines / gearbox and platform on the sister cars and the Skoda had Spare Wheels as standard, 

so SEAT where not skimping on sound deadening with them.

The New Seat Ibiza Cupra 3 door 1.8TSI Manual is no lightweight either, just like the VW Polo 1.8TSI's.