Columbus Sales & Repair.

Rustynuts

As I said, from what I can gather V9 were the last maps produced for the Australian market. However, it seems as though they have released a new version just this year, judging by the link you provided there.  V10  is the latest and most up to date genuine version. Note that there has possibly been a V10, V11, V12, V13 unofficial update over the past 4 years made from BMW maps and sold at silly money. It's also possible that some enterprising people have simply renamed the maps versions and have been selling "updates" which were essentially the same maps.

So yes, that link provides a disc which might be genuine, but then again it might not.

There's a genuine seller here, significantly cheaper than your supplier...

https://www.mahag-zubehoer-shop.de/access/mahag/etka2details/7L6051859BD-DVD-ROM für Navigationssystem

6 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

As I said, from what I can gather V9 were the last maps produced for the Australian market. However, it seems as though they have released a new version just this year, judging by the link you provided there.  V10  is the latest and most up to date genuine version. Note that there has possibly been a V10, V11, V12, V13 unofficial update over the past 4 years made from BMW maps and sold at silly money. It's also possible that some enterprising people have simply renamed the maps versions and have been selling "updates" which were essentially the same maps.

So yes, that link provides a disc which might be genuine, but then again it might not.

There's a genuine seller here, significantly cheaper than your supplier...

https://www.mahag-zubehoer-shop.de/access/mahag/etka2details/7L6051859BD-DVD-ROM für Navigationssystem

Thanks for the link.  I converted Euro to AUD and it comes out to $555 vs $595.  Shipping might be $40.

• 1 month later...

HI Rustynuts.   I wonder if you could help.  My wife has had her RNS510 'die' on her.  Its an OEM unit fitted after sales to her Rapid.  Until now, its been fine.  But now the touchscreen doesn't respond.  The unit powers up and asks for the code number to be put in, but the touchscreen doesn't work.  Hard and soft resets haven't helped.   The on/off button works fine and as the unit powers up, you very briefly see the radio station list, but then it goes to asking for the code.  I have the code, but the screen just does not respond to touch.    Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Evening, 

looking for your input and a possible repair. My MIB 1 Columbus has stopped giving sound output. No sound when playing through Bluetooth, radio or anything else. For the past 10 months I’ve been getting a static noise from the unit through the speakers at certain times. I got told it could be the amplifier that’s starting to go, and now it possibly has. What do you think, is this a repairable issue or would it be a whole unit swap? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I hope that you can help me. The Columbus unit in my 2016 L&K Superb won't update from the Skoda portal. High 12 P187 EU 2020.

I've tried both SD slots, new SD cards all to no avail.

Best regards and stay safe, 

Colin in Scotland

1 hour ago, colinf said:

Hi,

I hope that you can help me. The Columbus unit in my 2016 L&K Superb won't update from the Skoda portal. High 12 P187 EU 2020.

Nothing I can help with in this thread. Your unit is an MIB unit, and this thread isn't for those units.

• 3 months later...

Hi Rustynuts

I haven't been on here for quite a while now but came across my faulty Columbus during a clear out today. I believe however it is one of the older LCD units and it is is then have noticed in your initial post you may not be able to help. It has the horrible constant reboot loop problem. Was driving along one day happily listening to the radio and also had the sat nav on when it just rebooted whilst driving along.

I tried things like reloading the software disc I had but when its starting it doesn't get as far as reading a disc.  I took it out and refitted the original Bolero (Columbus was a retrofit)

Have included a picture of the unit - is this a model you work on or one of those that you don’t?

would be grateful for your view on whether its worth repairing or BER ?

My sincere thanks in advance for any advice or guidance you are prepared to give me

cheers

Bernie

6F4519EE-88BE-4204-86EF-541E07A0770E.thumb.jpeg.ee49f6e89bea7894fc78e853c623d620.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 24/06/2019 at 20:57, theandywaite said:

Quick question (sorry if this is the wrong place).

When booting, our Columbus has a 1 pixel high red line on the screen, stretching from the Skoda logo to the right edge. Once it has booted there's no red line. It's always done this, and works fine.

IMG_20190624_205514.thumb.jpg.7bc0e7ebbf5b4ec501549c8d2dbfeb05.jpg

Does this mean something?

Just thought I'd add a very very late update to this. This corruption of the boot image got progressively worse and more glitchy over the last 2 and a bit years until just lately the unit stopped working entirely and wouldn't boot whatsoever. So I sent it off  to @Rustynuts for repair, who worked some magic and now we have a fully working Columbus AND a non-corrupted boot logo! 🎉

My boot screen is split into two halves.  Top is OK and bottom is shifted sideways.  Firmware upgrade and map upgrades didn't change this.  Was like this since a few months after I bought the car used.  Used to happen every 3 reboots now every reboot.  No other functionality loss.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Good morning,

I have a 2014 Octaivia with a Columbus navigation Infotainment system.

The sound became intermitant a few weeks ago and has now stopped completely.

I removed the unit and checked the two cable connections, but they seem fine.

Is this repairable?

Many thanks

Steve Tongue

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just wondering if you could do anything with my 3T0035686L. A few days ago the screen went black intermittently flashing a white line, its ends up draining my battery as it seems to be permanently on. My mechanic removed it and battery is fine since, not sure if it could be a boot issue or something. It's original and never had any unofficial software loaded into it as far as I am aware.

Thanks,

LS

IMG_6309.JPG

IMG_6311.JPG

IMG_6310.JPG

Hi there,

Just wondering if you could do anything with my 3T0035686L. A few days ago the screen went black intermittently flashing a white line, its ends up draining my battery as it seems to be permanently on. My mechanic removed it and battery is fine since, not sure if it could be a boot issue or something. It's original and never had any unofficial software loaded into it as far as I am aware.

Thanks,

LS

20 minutes ago, LostShepherd said:

Hi there,

Thanks,

LS

IMG_6309.JPG

IMG_6311.JPG

IMG_6310.JPG

Hi there,

Thanks,

LS

You could try what I did.  Do the firmware reload with a late revision firmware DVD.  Once re-flashed which should take about 30 minutes it luckily cured mine.  The firmware flash will not touch either your hard disk loaded music or maps.  It also will fix a corrupt boot splash screen.

• Like 1

Hey thanks for responding!

I think the DVD drive was not ejecting for me which could be an issue, I'm pretty sure there is a CD in there already.

Is it possible to do the boot off the SD drive? Where do you get those firmware dvds?

Cheers,

LS

1 hour ago, LostShepherd said:

Hey thanks for responding!

I think the DVD drive was not ejecting for me which could be an issue, I'm pretty sure there is a CD in there already.

Is it possible to do the boot off the SD drive? Where do you get those firmware dvds?

Cheers,

LS

I can send you an ISO file (image of a 💿) that you need to burn to a blank CD, if you have a writer?

I don't think you can recover from an SD Card.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LostShepherd said:

Hey that would be great if you could I have a burner and some old blank cds lying around, it would certainly be worth a try 👍

I will check your images, but looked like 6276 was loaded on.

I gave it a shot at any rate but no use, it did sound like it was trying to read the disc i.e. the dvd drive was spinning but the HDD was clicking a lot too and the unit just continued to turn off and on with a black screen in some sort of boot loop. Its much easier to see this at night as the lights blink on on the Columbus then off again, this was definitely causing my battery drain. The only other thing of note is that it seems to be stuck on the Navigation option from the central steering column although this might just be because it was the last thing on before it corrupted.

I'm just wondering now if its worth having a try at replacing the HD myself or just send it off somewhere to be fixed, I don't really care about upgrading it to SSD or anything and refurbished pata 30G ide HDD seem pretty cheap online. Any swapped the HD out successfully? I'm reasonably techy and have the tools to do it just gauging what the success rate has been.

13 minutes ago, LostShepherd said:

I gave it a shot at any rate but no use, it did sound like it was trying to read the disc i.e. the dvd drive was spinning but the HDD was clicking a lot too and the unit just continued to turn off and on with a black screen in some sort of boot loop. Its much easier to see this at night as the lights blink on on the Columbus then off again, this was definitely causing my battery drain. The only other thing of note is that it seems to be stuck on the Navigation option from the central steering column although this might just be because it was the last thing on before it corrupted.

I'm just wondering now if its worth having a try at replacing the HD myself or just send it off somewhere to be fixed, I don't really care about upgrading it to SSD or anything and refurbished pata 30G ide HDD seem pretty cheap online. Any swapped the HD out successfully? I'm reasonably techy and have the tools to do it just gauging what the success rate has been.

Evening @pab567a definite hardware fault by the sounds of krkkrkrkrkrkkr drive noises no doubt.

Hoping you can assist him 🤞

Once you put the optical media in you do have to do the three finger salute while powering on and it stops trying to go to the hard drive.  It should load the firmware as a running image and then only then offer to flash your internal media.

• Like 1