Columbus Sales & Repair.

Rustynuts

I am currently struggling to get a decent signal with a cheap Magmount DAB aerial connected to our Columbus. 

Is it possible to buy just the sharkfin DAB aerial and associated leads?

Thanks.

Yep. I have one available at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

My Columbus satnav radio has packed up on my Superb 2009. I've had it checked out and it's the hard drive thats gone.  Where is the best place for a replacement unit - preferably with dab radio this time and post code gps.

Thanks in advance

Jacqui

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i have an 09 superb with what I assume has a columbus sat nav unit fitted, the unit comes on for about 10 seconds and the shuts down for about 20 seconds and then repeats the whole procedure un til I switch off, the power button does not do anything.

Is this a common fault and if so is it fixable?

hi, i have an 09 superb with what I assume has a columbus sat nav unit fitted, the unit comes on for about 10 seconds and the shuts down for about 20 seconds and then repeats the whole procedure un til I switch off, the power button does not do anything.

Is this a common fault and if so is it fixable?

Yes it's a possible fix There's a couple of issues which might cause it so I'd need to have a look at it to confirm.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Rusty,

I have a 63 plated Superb estate with bog standard FM radio.

Can I upgrade to a DAB unit easily?

Can I upgrade to an all singing all dancing dab,sat nav,bluetooth unit?

What cost am I looking at?

Unfortunately in down south in Hampshire!

Paul

Upgrade is possible, but no Bluetooth I'm afraid. The Columbus doesn't have Bluetooth built in so it'll need an extra Bluetooth module to give that. Other than Bluetooth it should be fairly straight forward. I have a bundle price of £475 for the DAB Columbus and new DAB antenna (see my post above for details of the bundle). If you want it delivering then it's another £20 for insured delivery, and if you want an SSD drive unit then that again will be another £20. Joining Freedom (paying for Briskoda membership) will cost you £12 and allow me to apply the Freedom discount of £25, effectively save you £13. I'd appreciate it if you would. :D

I do have a Bluetooth kit available which is also part of a bundle deal. It's also detailed in a post on this thread.

I also have a slightly damaged DAB unit here if cost is a premium, again detailed in a post on this thread

If you want to discuss further then send me a PM (Private Message) and I'll sort out some prices fr various options if you have any particular needs.

Cheers.

Hi,  I have  2012 Superb from which the Columbus unit has just been stolen. Do you have a direct replacement? It looks like the thieves did a pretty neat job and so far as I can tell all the connecting blocks and cables are present and intact. Thank you, Niall

Yes, I should have something. I'll have to check in the workshop to see exactly what I have, but I know I have a few DAB units. Not sure about non DAB as I've just arranged to fit one this afternoon for someone. I'll check and see.

Meanwhile, I see you're in Ramsgate so I guess you''ll need it posting? If you have a recent VCDS scan log available I can precode it to suit your car so it's plug & play.

Edit: I have a couple on the shelf ready for testing, one has a slight mark on the screen and fascia if you're not too concerned, the other is pristine. If you send me a pm giving me a few more details about your  car and what you want etc. then I'll pop one in the car and give it a road test today, make sure it's okay.

Edited by Rustynuts

Hi Rustynuts.

I have a Columbus fitted to my Superb Mk2 CR170. The unit has just today stopped working. When you switch it on the splash screen displays for a while and then it switches off. That's all it will do, can't get any further than that... In your experience, is this something which might be repairable or am I looking a having to buy a replacement?

Cheers,

John.

Pop the trim off which surrounds the unit then there are 4 torx t20 screws holding it in. No need to disconnect anything, and certainly don't disconnect the wire to the airbag light on the trim, otherwise airbag fault light will happen.

Aye, that's what I thought.

It's one of the earlier LCD screen units, and not something I spend a lot of time repairing usually. There's no spare parts available anymore, I'm afraid.

However, the particular fault you have is probably a software fault so I'll message you with some possible fixes. I just sent you a message anyway, but you appear to have sorted the pictures issues, so disregard that.

Cheers.

Yep, I think I have an LED one here which would be a direct swap. There'll be some coding to do to set the unit to your cars parameters, but nothing that a local forum member with vcds can't sort for you I guess.

However, we'll explore the repair first, so check your messages.

Potentially interested in one of the DAB units if you still have some. 

SSD not really of any great importance to me, but would be ideal if you had a unit plus gps antenna and adaptors for the aerials. I'll probably just use a windscreen mount DAB aerial as we get a pretty good reception. 

Interested in a price for both an unmarked Columbus (if you have one), for the unit that is slightly damaged is the transit mark on the casing rather than visible section of the head unit? If so I'd be interested in some more pics of the front damage.  

Edited by rodenal