190bhp versus 150bhp, no option of test drive

Hi. I have tried and tried to get my hands on a 190bhp s3 for a test drive but all I can get in the show rooms is the 150bhp. I have taken a few on test drive, manual and auto. While I loved the drive, and have never driven anything higher than a 150bhp, my heart is set on the 190bhp l&k manual. Is there enough of a difference to justify a blind purchase and just go ahead with the order without test driving one? It will be a private buy and own finance. I intend to keep it for at least five years.

Hi. I have tried and tried to get my hands on a 190bhp s3 for a test drive but all I can get in the show rooms is the 150bhp. I have taken a few on test drive, manual and auto. While I loved the drive, and have never driven anything higher than a 150bhp, my heart is set on the 190bhp l&k manual. Is there enough of a difference to justify a blind purchase and just go ahead with the order without test driving one? It will be a private buy and own finance. I intend to keep it for at least five years.

I've just picked up a 190 L&K today. It's early days but it pulls nicely without seeming fast. I think it will depend on your driving style. It's no rocket but it'll sit at naughty speeds without any hassle.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a 150 manual, usually carrying quite a bit of weight in the boot. The car is not quick but it is quick enough for normal driving. I think if I towed more often then i'd get the 190. I guess it all depends on where and how you drive/use the car.

• Like 1

My driving style would normally be relaxed but progressive if that makes sense. I currently have a 2009 105bhp Octavia and commute 80 miles a day. It's not a great road so when a overtaking opportunity comes I need the power to be there.

• Like 1

Have you read this thread? http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/405470-another-10000-mile-update/

Suggestion there is that 190 is perhaps not as powerful as expected... I have no idea as I haven't driven either (but have a 150 on order as all the reviews seem to suggest it's strong enough for normal driving).

• Like 1

Have you read this thread? http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/405470-another-10000-mile-update/

Suggestion there is that 190 is perhaps not as powerful as expected... I have no idea as I haven't driven either (but have a 150 on order as all the reviews seem to suggest it's strong enough for normal driving).

Thanks maffyou. I happened to read it after I had posted my own query and it has offered plenty of thoughts, including the RaceChip Ultimate control thing which may be an option further down the road.

I'm still open to more opinions.

• Like 1

I test drove both and preferred the 150, better economy and no real noticable performance difference.

I test drove both pre release to the showrooms and I felt as above. The only slight difference in performance was when you really push it which hampers economy. The 150 obviously does not have the adblue either.

• Like 2

I too drove both when I was evaluating options back in May. Ordered the 150, as I could detect no meaningful differences. The extra cost and the AdBlue overhead was a further discouragement from choosing the 190.

• Like 3

I'm waiting to take delivery in a few days of a S3 150bhp 4x4 manual. Tried both the 190 and 150 and settled on the 150.

Why?

For my kind of driving (rural country roads, some dual carrigageways and some motorways), lightly loaded car and approx. 28000 miles per year the 150 fits the bill perfectly.

I currently drive a S2 170bhp with DSG and I could not find any noticeable differences in power between my current car and my new one. The DSG is probably to "blame" for this since it delivers power a bit different than a manual gearbox.

I think that with normal driving, you will not notice that it differs 40bhp between the two, but if you load the car up and perhaps tows something heavy, you will notice the difference in torque/power.

For me, it was important to have a manual and 4x4, the DSG is more expensive to maintain than a manual, and here in Sweden you can't buy the 190 with 4x4 and manual gearbox.

• Like 3

There are almost no difference between SII 170 hp and SIII 150 hp because their acceleration data is almost identical.

I have SII 170 hp 4x4 DSG and the only acceptable driving mode is on S and with loud music in order not to hear the engine :-) On D you usualy drive on the verge of stalling. :-)

• Like 1

I have a 190 dsg and my last car was the s2 170 dsg. I agree with the other posters that that their is little if any difference between the two apart from fuel consumption. The 170 was actually better. I used to get about 6.3 l/100k but the 190 on long term is 7.1 l/100k that's based over 4000km. Which is far off he stated mpg. I brought it back with a few other issues and they say it's good. It is also the first new car to use oil I have ever had. It used about 3/4 of a litre over the 4000km. The mph does not bother me but if you doing long commutes like you said it might be an issue for you. Overall I happy enough with the car. The handling of the s3 compared to the s2 also does not seem as good I even have the 19inch tyres compared go the 17 on the s2 this could be down to the oem tyres though. I tried the Audi throttle mod people mentioned here but it was doing something funny when changing from 2 to 1st on the dsg the car actually cut out twice so I put it back to the way it was.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The 150 obviously does not have the adblue either.

The 150 4x4 does.

Adblue is no hassle though. Takes a couple of minutes to top up and at £10-15 every 6-7000 miles hardly worth worrying about.

Edited by muddyboots
  • Like 2

The 150 4x4 does.

Adblue is no hassle though. Takes a couple of minutes to top up and at £10-15 every 6-7000 miles hardly worth worrying about.

Suitably corrected. :thumbup:

Having done only 100 miles in my 190 Estate I think that the 150 would be more than adequate. While I would say the 190 definitely has a bit more in gear shove, I'm not sure it's enough to warrant the diminished fuel efficiency. One thing I have noticed is, you don't feel like your travelling as fast as you actually are. Caught me out at a roundabout last night. Brakes work well which is pleasing.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm a long way from London but does your mileage warrant a diesel? This certainly isn't an anti-diesel post, I'm just throwing it out there in case it's not something you considered. If most of your driving is in the city, or short journeys then you may well find the petrol models better to drive as well as cheaper overall. The 150ps 1.4 TSI for example will do 50mpg on a run and will be more refined. Out of the two diesel engines, if you have to ask I'd say 150. I didn't particularly like them compared to (for example) an equivalent BMW or Mazda engine (too harsh and felt much slower), but as people said above the 150 carries most of the advantages unless you really need the extra shove. Perhaps cast the dealership net a bit wider to try to score a test drive? 

• Like 1

i test drove a 150 manual and 190 dsg. the 150 is fine around town and I dare say for 90% of driving, but if you want to get a shift on i found the 190 went like poo of a spade in sport mode. i have come from 10 years of Volvo t5's and d5's, so wanted something which would pull hard as and when i wanted. i had previously ordered a Golf GTD but due to production delays i cancelled it and went for the 190 DSG Sel-Exec Combi. in sport mode its everybit as good as the t5 it replaced but does 45 mpg instead of early 20's. I'd love to get another t5 but it would only be to take things for the tip run as I hate putting anything dirty in the Superb.

I dabbled with the idea of the 150 and getting it remapped but as skoda don't have an approved tuner (unlike Volvo), I didn't want to risk breaking it and voiding the warranty. Plus I've found insurance screw you on a remapped car - so thought less hassle to get the 190.

• Like 1

I have a 150 manual, I've come directly from a BMW 520d which I think is 183hp and before that a 170 Superb mk 2.

I find the 150 is smooth and strong, feels as powerful as the BM.

The only thing I don't like about the car is that I find it a bit loud at anything above 75mph, feels like it needs an extra gear to settle into the cruise.

• Like 1

My driving style would normally be relaxed but progressive if that makes sense. I currently have a 2009 105bhp Octavia and commute 80 miles a day. It's not a great road so when a overtaking opportunity comes I need the power to be there.

My last car was a 2013 octy mk2 fl, 1.6 105ps diesel. The superb 150 feels far sharper with loads more grunt. Just not quick if that makes sense. I guess it's the extra torque.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions. It would appear that the 150bhp is more than adequate for my needs, is a better engine with fuel economy etc and acts more like the 150 it is than the 190 does with underperformance.

Save your pennies and buy the 150, then get it booked into Superchips, £350, and end up with 200 ish bhp!

Does it add much to your insurance if you superchip

Presumably there could be issues with warranty?

• Like 1