fuel tank splash

Hi,

I have a 1.4TSI (2013MY) and when the fuel tank is above 3/4 full, I hear a very pronounced splash when I bring the car to a halt (and I am not braking hard), and I even kind of feel a bit of "pat" as the fuel splashes against the wall of the tank. The more full the tank is, the more pronounced the thud/splash is.

Do you also feel this, or is it only me ? I never had this so strong in any other car I'd driven.

I had been using a Mk2 Octavia (also 1.4tsi) for an extended period of time a few yrs back, and it certainly did not have this issue.

thanks,

Tiv

never felt it before i always thought there was a wall with holes in obviously in the fuel tank to stop that very sensation if its so bad it can be felt i would be getting it checked out 

Never felt this in my 2016 2.0 TDi DSG Estate. Looks like a warranty trip to me.

Edited by YMe

I can hear a faint 'slosh' at times, but, I find if one personally listens out for these noises then one becomes acutely aware of such and can lead to paranoia.

I'm sure mine still 'sloshes' but i have not witnessed any fuel leak, nor do I smell any fuel vapour inside or outside the car thus I forget about it.

Tons of other things to listen out for anyway...rattles, creaks, kids, other half...:-)

• Like 2

I have a full tank at the moment so I have just come back from a test drive on the strength of this post; didn't hear anything unusual and most definitely no splashing noises from the rear.

Hi,

I have a 1.4TSI (2013MY) and when the fuel tank is above 3/4 full, I hear a very pronounced splash when I bring the car to a halt (and I am not braking hard), and I even kind of feel a bit of "pat" as the fuel splashes against the wall of the tank. The more full the tank is, the more pronounced the thud/splash is.

Do you also feel this, or is it only me ? I never had this so strong in any other car I'd driven.

I had been using a Mk2 Octavia (also 1.4tsi) for an extended period of time a few yrs back, and it certainly did not have this issue.

thanks,

Tiv

My MK I Superb always did this as well. Haven't noticed it on the MK II

• Administrators

Heard it on the civic and ford focus. Not heard it on the citigo, but then there is no sound proofing on the citigo and a very small tank :).

Didn't notice it on the demo octy III or superb III on recent tests. But equally wasn';t listening for it and probably had radio on or window open.

I can hear a faint 'slosh' at times, but, I find if one personally listens out for these noises then one becomes acutely aware of such and can lead to paranoia.

I'm sure mine still 'sloshes' but i have not witnessed any fuel leak, nor do I smell any fuel vapour inside or outside the car thus I forget about it.

Tons of other things to listen out for anyway...rattles, creaks, kids, other half...:-)

Brilliant post - that is so true with me as well. Mind you, had this exact symptom with my last MK6 Golf, which I put down to my paranoia (experienced saw-toothed tyres which made me hyper sensitive to noise). Anyway,  I eventually found that I had a leak in the boot seal and the spare tyre well was full of water :thumbdown: .

This should be noticeable on every car, unless they changed something with the design. I can hear it very well on my my 2014 car unfortunately.

This SHOULDN'T be noticeable, surely?

Never heard  it on any of maybe over a hundred cars I've driven.

This SHOULDN'T be noticeable, surely?

Never heard  it on any of maybe over a hundred cars I've driven.

I meant on Octavia's, since there was topics about this before in here. Obviously its a flaw from a manufacturer which shouldnt exist. If some people cant hear it (presuming they test in right conditions: tank 3/4 full), then maybe they reflected to this and fixed the issue. Not sure how some people hear it and some dont, this cant be a warranty issue in my mind. I mean if I visit a dealer and complain what they are going to say? Sure, lets just switch the fuel tank.

have not noticed it on my MY16 but since the tank is 3/4 full i will listen for it later when driving.

i have had the splash sound on my toyota avensis but it never bothered me.

have not noticed it on my MY16 but since the tank is 3/4 full i will listen for it later when driving.

i have had the splash sound on my toyota avensis but it never bothered me.

well,after some driving with lot's of start - stop and braking i do not hear the splash..

I hear it on a VRS TSI. Most noticeable when braking up-hill.

I also hear strange grinding noises whenever the misses parks close to a kerb :swear:. I wonder what that could be?

Your teeth or the wheel?

Don't ever fill it more than 3/4 full if it really bothers you.

Or, the oldies who remember it could play the theme from the 'Onedin Line' (adagio from Spartacus and Phrygia by Khachaturian) to compliment the sloshing from the tank and the creaking from behind the dashboard to evoke a full nautical sailing ship experience.

• Like 2