Rear camera, yes or no?

I got it and I got a combi.

For me it's really useful and I wish it would be possible to get a forward facing camera as well.

The rear camera is included if you buy the tow bar on Swedish spec superbs (approx £600 extra)

I got it for my hatchback and it was on the "might come in useful" column rather than "must have it".

For me it comes into its own when reversing into those parking bays with steel posts or concrete bollards that are always just below the visible of the rear window.

Being such a long car it helps to get it as far back into the bay as possible and with the camera it can be done inch perfect. Much more assuring than relying on the sensors.

I have two cars. One of them has a reverse camera, the Superb has sensors. I prefer the sensors, and don´t see the big need for a camera. For me, it´s "nice to have" not "need to have".

Yes, combi, never had it before, now won't want a car without. Especially for parking in spaces, or white lines to check you're inside the box and not hanging over the back. Also in supermarkets etc with peolle walking behind to check they are out of the way and not in a blind spot.

i dont have it on my combi and dont miss having it as such. The parking sensors and on screen display are good enough.

On the superb, do you still get the rear parking sensors and the camera ?

On some cars, you get one or the other.

i dont have it on my combi and dont miss having it as such. The parking sensors and on screen display are good enough.

On the superb, do you still get the rear parking sensors and the camera ?

On some cars, you get one or the other.

We've got the rear camera option on our Golf Combi, it's useful but not essential.

The & front  rear parking sensors are still there, & I prefer to use them + the mirrors, especially when backing into our garage....

..It was a £160 option on the Golf, probably the cheapest of the £8+K's worth that she added to the base car............

DC 

I have it on the hatchback and wouldn't be without it, I had it on my last car and for me it was a must on the Skoda. I think most in general would say if they have it they use it, and wouldn't be without it.

Have the rear camera on a hatch and it is used daily for parking at work.  Added to the build specially for parking at work as the stone wall is too low to pick up on censors.

Also been very useful for reversing in car parks and a whole host of other places.

Well worth the money.

I have ordered mine without...... because i think the rear wiper spoils the look and i needed to have both (my17) if i wanted one

to be fair, i have only had rear sensors for the last 10 years (although i did have one on an Aygo !! hire car) looking at a screen feels alien to me.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Its one of these extras that, if you have never had it, you will never miss it.  However, when you have owned a car that does have it, you do use it every time you reverse.  It is amazing how many times one reverses.

Got it on my Kombi and given how far away the back of the car is, it makes reversing much easier - living in a Close and having to reverse out every morning and avoid bins, bushes, small low wooden fence posts etc can be a challenge! A combination of sensors and camera picks up all manner of nasties. Well worth fitting.

The camera can be easily retrofitted. Second hand used one (looks brand new cost me c.a. 100 GBP).

Please note this is HIGHLINE version. LOWLINE is a little cheaper, but more difficult to install (need more wires from different places)

bfdd45483bef77014cbe50472e5a0971.jpg

Edited by Enriquez

After looking at the cost and procedure of installing the OEM camera after the car is built I decided that it makes sense to just spec it with the camera, luckily the dealer can confirmed that adding the camera has not changed my build week.

• 9 months later...

I would say YES if you can. Yesterday, while reversing in the parking place, the rear parking sensors on my car, for some reason, activated more slowly than usual. And the end result is a bang into the corner of the wall. It's gonna cost me a few hundreds bugs :(

• Like 1

I don't have one on my car, but the wife has one on hers. Having never had one before you don't miss what you've never had, but now I want one. I find it more useful than rear sensors.

What I really want is the area view which is available on the Kodiaq, I had one as a demo for 24hrs and the area view is very impressive!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Anyone used one when reversing a small trailer? 

Have a trailer I can't normally see in my mirrors, on a Superb Estate, too low, too narrow, when hitched is the camera mounted too low to give a useful view

Are there any options that mount in the 3rd brake light instead of the number plate area? 

Yes it does help with a small trailer. If you put a camera on 3rd brake light area I don't think it would see the tow ball. It works pretty well in the standard position next to the boot opening button. The OEM camera has different modes, normal, wide angle, looking down at the tow ball etc.

• Thanks 1

Had a hi spec Insignia with one for a few days. It displays the curvey overlay in the same way as he VAG system. It didn't have sensors, just the camera, at least I never heard any go off.

I found using the camera alone incredibly difficult to judge. Trying to judge a 3d position using a 2d image - no thanks, it only made me confused and nervous. Far easier and natural to use audible warning and mirrors. 

Watching a screen while reversing seems very wrong to me.

1 hour ago, xman said:

Had a hi spec Insignia with one for a few days. It displays the curvey overlay in the same way as he VAG system. It didn't have sensors, just the camera, at least I never heard any go off.

I found using the camera alone incredibly difficult to judge. Trying to judge a 3d position using a 2d image - no thanks, it only made me confused and nervous. Far easier and natural to use audible warning and mirrors. 

Watching a screen while reversing seems very wrong to me.

It’s particularly useful for backing up to a trailer/caravan tow-bar, but it’s also useful for general reversing and parking - but as a supplement, not a substitute, for looking and mirrors.

What tends to throw me is that the camera has got a fisheye lens. I always twitch when I see a car beside me and find it hard to rely on the yellow guide lines showing me where the car will actually be.

57 minutes ago, facet edge said:

What tends to throw me is that the camera has got a fisheye lens. I always twitch when I see a car beside me and find it hard to rely on the yellow guide lines showing me where the car will actually be.

The yellow lines are merely a 2d box projected on the screen. If you have a  perfectly level normal road behind  with no objects at angles etc that's ok. But if you have odd mixed landscape behind it can be very misleading.