MKIII VRS TSI drivers getting more than 30Mpg...how do you drive?!

So I have been curious about my consumption for the first time since getting my 2016 TSI VRS...and I was mildly surprised to see how it stacked up to the other posts I have seen on here.

My long term consumption is currently 11 l/100km (I am in NZ!) which equates to 25.6mpg

Having discovered this, I tried driving like a 90 year old nun for a bit to see how low I could go and with eco mode on and the gentlest of driving, I managed around 31mpg of mixed usage, including my morning commute which combines stop/start urban traffic and some highway. It didn't however include any spirited driving whatsoever - not once did I have any fun at all!

I recall seeing a fair few posts with people getting in excess of 30Mpg whilst still putting the foot down occasionally - is this doable? Do you guys just do a lot more highway driving and spend less time in traffic than I? Do you all live on an ironing board rather than anywhere with hills?

I think ultimately, my conclusion was that I would rather do 25mpg and enjoy the car I bought, rather than nanny it - I would have bought a Prius otherwise - but if I can be less abusive to the environment and my wallet, it would be good!

I wonder how much the DSG makes a difference?  

I've a manual & have been averaging 8.2l/100km (which is nearly 35 mpg now that I have worked it out - thanks Google)... I do try & time my commuting to just before &/or after 'peak' peak times though - around 25km each way with a bit of motorway thrown in.

However to like to have fun & regularly am putting my foot down (living out west with some windy roads helps that).

• Like 1

I wonder how much the DSG makes a difference?  

I've a manual & have been averaging 8.2l/100km (which is nearly 35 mpg now that I have worked it out - thanks Google)... I do try & time my commuting to just before &/or after 'peak' peak times though - around 25km each way with a bit of motorway thrown in.

However to like to have fun & regularly am putting my foot down (living out west with some windy roads helps that).

Hm - that's quite a difference, even with the DSG, but you may be on to something there! Out of interest, what petrol do you use? I have only ever put 98 in mine - I don't suppose there is much real world difference between that and 95?

My Auckland work commute is about 20 each way and I do try to go early both ways...

I am also a Westie so the West coast runs do feature in my rotation (wow the surface is rough/noisy out that way though..) and I do burn through some gas on those!

Actually... just a thought... how many km have you done now... I'm on nearly 38,000... so well run in.

I use Z 95.  I haven't noticed much difference in previous cars between 95 & 98 so can't imagine there will be too much in it (apart from cost).

Don't even get me started on the tyre noise... I'm on the original Bridgestone S001's (?) & they're noisy as anything.  But, being a lease car they'll probably just get replaced with the same so I don't get too much say there unfortunately.

• Like 1

Actually... just a thought... how many km have you done now... I'm on nearly 38,000... so well run in.

I use Z 95.  I haven't noticed much difference in previous cars between 95 & 98 so can't imagine there will be too much in it (apart from cost).

Don't even get me started on the tyre noise... I'm on the original Bridgestone S001's (?) & they're noisy as anything.  But, being a lease car they'll probably just get replaced with the same so I don't get too much say there unfortunately.

8000km only!

:D

I am looking forward to replacing the Pirelli P-Zeros on mine with some Goodyear F1s or Michelin PS2s....but damn they are expensive here!

It's all about the conditions and the journey.

Mine is DSG and my commute is 5 miles local roads (30/40 mph), then 15 miles motorway (40-70mph)

I get 35-42mpg on that journey with ACC set on the motorway.

That's with 99 RON and stage 1 map

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1

I am on 17'', strangely I noticed that have better mileage on sport mode than eco or normal, the thing, get it quick at speed then cruise on city driving I even skip 4th gear, get it to 50-60 then staight to 5.

On the same long trip (220km) I went from 8.2 to 7.8. I also run 95 now as there is no differrence with 98.

For the noise I am getting all 4 wheels changes today to F1 asymetric 3 (the car is 16000km but front is worn out and rear deformed) It originally har the horrible sport maxx rt wich are noisy and give a harsh ride. I am hopping for an imrpovement in confort, noise and MPG (the asymetric 3 are suppose to be fuel efficcient)

It's all about the conditions and the journey.

Mine is DSG and my commute is 5 miles local roads (30/40 mph), then 15 miles motorway (40-70mph)

I get 35-42mpg on that journey with ACC set on the motorway.

That's with 99 RON and stage 1 map

At this speed these figures can be achieved with stock map. In France motirway is 80mph so it goes staight to 7.5L/100 to 8.5 if the road ig going up.

Off topic how is the sstage one remap, I am thinking about it but have cencernes about the clutch and gearbox. Also is the 300hp on all the modes or only the sport mode?

Item,. Just a quick check on your maths, you do know the UK gallon is larger than a US gallon don't you?  4.54 litres here ( still 8 pints, but our pint is 20floz, US 16).  If you used the US  gallon it would make a difference.

It is very driving style dependent.  I did 20 miles yesterday evening crossing central London and back in 2 hours, yes that's typical.... Actually pretty good for the journey.  Heavy traffic and stop start, there is no point in driving aggressively, just try and relax as much as possible and be smooth.  I managed 28.1 mpg  Had the traffic been a little better I'd have managed more.  Around London I expect between 26 and 32.   Once out of town it depends on your style more as there is more opportunity to be smooth or more racey, but do an A road run and 50-60 mph smoothly and you'll get well into the 40s mpg.  Do the same route having fun..... Mid 20s..... Lower if the road allows.

• Like 1

On the official combined cycle the DSG is only 1mpg behind the manual.

The trick with the DSG though is to get off the throttle nice and early and let it change down through the gears to get some engine braking (might take some practice to get round the coasting feature- although not sure if the vRS has it?)

Also don't drive it too gently! Not necessarily mashing the pedal down all the time but sometimes a little push of the throttle to get up to speed is more economical than spending twice the time lightly accelerating.

Obviously the gear changes aren't an issue as the DSG is programmed to change at the lowest possible RPM to save fuel (in D mode). But sometimes on certain roads etc it's more economical to drive in manual mode to maximise engine braking.

Off topic how is the sstage one remap, I am thinking about it but have cencernes about the clutch and gearbox. Also is the 300hp on all the modes or only the sport mode?

It's seriously good, they are good in standard form but the map just makes it better.

My ITG filter is going on this weekend hopefully when the pipe work turns up :-)

I've only had my vRS 230 for a month, covering about 800 miles so far, which equates to about two tanks of Shell V Power Nitro dinosaur juice. Each of those tanks included a decent motorway run (one to Brighton and one to Silverstone) and some local pootling and I've averaged 38.5 mpg so far. I'd describe my driving style as fairly steady, with occasional visits to the end of the accelerator travel! I'm also very interested to hear people's thoughts on the stage 1 remap options, you know, for the minute after the warranty runs out :sun:

It's seriously good, they are good in standard form but the map just makes it better.

My ITG filter is going on this weekend hopefully when the pipe work turns up :-)

Thanks for the feedback but you didn't tell me if the extra hp is only on the sport mode. I hear that fuel efficiency is better is it the same on all the mods?

I took the extended 2 year warranty on the car but I am still thinking about the reflash before it worns out :)

I've only had my vRS 230 for a month, covering about 800 miles so far, which equates to about two tanks of Shell V Power Nitro dinosaur juice. Each of those tanks included a decent motorway run (one to Brighton and one to Silverstone) and some local pootling and I've averaged 38.5 mpg so far. I'd describe my driving style as fairly steady, with occasional visits to the end of the accelerator travel! I'm also very interested to hear people's thoughts on the stage 1 remap options, you know, for the minute after the warranty runs out :sun:

Have a look at burger motorsports jb1 box.

Thanks for the feedback but you didn't tell me if the extra hp is only on the sport mode. I hear that fuel efficiency is better is it the same on all the mods?

I took the extended 2 year warranty on the car but I am still thinking about the reflash before it worns out :)

It's the same power on each setting just delivered more aggressively in sport - main change is sport mode makes the DSG total rubbish and unusable in normal road driving

It's the same power on each setting just delivered more aggressively in sport - main change is sport mode makes the DSG total rubbish and unusable in normal road driving

Which tune you got?

I recall seeing a fair few posts with people getting in excess of 30Mpg whilst still putting the foot down occasionally - is this doable? Do you guys just do a lot more highway driving and spend less time in traffic than I? Do you all live on an ironing board rather than anywhere with hills?

I think ultimately, my conclusion was that I would rather do 25mpg and enjoy the car I bought, rather than nanny it - I would have bought a Prius otherwise - but if I can be less abusive to the environment and my wallet, it would be good!

This is certainly the case for my. I have the TSI vRS and as you've pointed out long motorway - highway - journeys allow me to achieve 40MPG+. My latest calculated average is 40.2. I work from multiple offices over the central belt of Scotland so whilst distances are high, it's all constant high speed stuff. I very rarely have a journey under 10 miles, even for pleasure due to where my family live compared to me. 48 MPG is the highest reading I've had on the cars readout and I've no reason to believe that's unrealistic as the car is usually very close to my calculated. i wouldn't say I drive like Miss Daisy either. Plenty of fun and overtaking to be had/done on the A roads I do encounter.

• Like 1

I've bought 2 cars brand new in my life, and it took at least 10k miles if not 15k before numbers settled down and the car looked like properly broken in. Until then it was high on consumption, felt slow on acceleration, etc.

Give it some time. I can do 32mpg with mostly city driving in eco and 38 highways in all modes.

City driving has 2 key things, rpm as low as the car is comfortable keeping and as few gear changes as possible. If you do that you'll notice yourself not chasing green and yellow lights, slowly approaching reds hoping green comes before you completely stop, and moving in slow traffic without almost using the gas paddle.

In other words... Driving like a Taxi driver :)

But here's the question, why buy a VRS if consumption is a problem? I do it on odd days as challenges to myself, but on sunny days my consumption is twice as bad. Can't imagine what'll happen after stage2 lol

Edited by Magget
  • Like 1

Mine tends to be late 20's as per my Fuelly below.  7,800 miles in now.  I bought a vRS for a reason and fuel economy wasn't high on the agenda.

Gaz

• Like 1