Fog Lights Are Terrible Looking!

Hi guys I own an s3 sel executive which comes with the bi xenon headlights. However the fog lights are just a basic bulb which looks cheap again the xenon. Can I either turn the fog lights off or get them the same colour with different bulbs or something??

Thanks for your time

Hi guys I own an s3 sel executive which comes with the bi xenon headlights. However the fog lights are just a basic bulb which looks cheap again the xenon. Can I either turn the fog lights off or get them the same colour with different bulbs or something??

Thanks for your time

See the pinned post at the top of this S3 section for LED bulb replacement.

• Like 1

Turning off Fog Lights when there is no fog sounds like a very good idea, when there is fog nobody worries about how they look as long as they help see and be seen.

I totally agree, its so annoying and dangerous!  I suppose another issue for the OP is the cornering light system where the fog lights are also used for this function so its just more than in foggy situations.  I thought Skoda might convert the fogs to LEDs at this stage or at least provide it as an option similar to some of the premium brands.

• Like 1

What do you mean by turning the fog lights off ?

The fog bulbs can be replaced with LED ones.

Sorry if this is a silly question but how do you turn the fog lights off or on for that matter I thought then always ran with the DTRL???

Sorry if this is a silly question but how do you turn the fog lights off or on for that matter I thought then always ran with the DTRL???

The main light switch has 2 x pull out positions when its in the dipped headlight position, 1st position is front fog lights on and the 2nd position adds the rear fog light.

Turning them off is a simple matter of pushing the switch back in.

• Like 1

My switch just sits on auto it seems to be sitting in ! So I'm not sure how the fog lights can be switched on/off with this setup!!

Have you not looked at the manual supplied with your car ?

My switch just sits on auto it seems to be sitting in ! So I'm not sure how the fog lights can be switched on/off with this setup!!

This is something the car cannot do for you, its a conscious decision you make whether you need the fog lights on or not, if you do then you have to pull the switch out 1 or 2 stops, if you have auto headlights it can be done in this position, page 70 of the owners manual refers. 

This is something the car cannot do for you, its a conscious decision you make whether you need the fog lights on or not, if you do then you have to pull the switch out 1 or 2 stops, if you have auto headlights it can be done in this position, page 70 of the owners manual refers. [/quote

Thank you for explaining this! Could you tell me what page 70 states? Unfortunately I have mislead my owners manual!!! I know I can probably get it online however it is slightly difficult just using my IPhone as I'm on holiday at the moment. No worries if you are too busy I can get it sorted on my return.

Front and rear fog lights

Fig. 57

Light switch – switch on front

and rear fog lights

Read and observe on page 67 first.

Switching the fog lights on/off

› Turn the light switch to position ,  or  » Fig. 57.

› Pull the light switch to position 1 , the indicator light  in the instrument

cluster lights up.

Follow the reverse order to switch off.

Switching the rear fog light on/off

› Turn the light switch into position  or  and  » Fig. 57.

› Pull the light switch to position 2 , the indicator light  in the instrument

cluster lights up.

Follow the reverse order to switch off.

If the vehicle is not fitted with front fog lights, the rear fog light is switched on

by pulling out the light switch to the only possible setting.

Unfortunately the text file cannot convert the symbols for Auto, Side lights and Dipped beam so I have added the thumbnail below: -

th_Capture.png

Edited by Prykey

Back on topic, is it not the case that fogs are not LEDs because a yellow light produced by incandescent bulbs is more useful in foggy conditions than the whiter light emitted by LEDs which will cause more reflection back off the aerosol water droplets. Bit like when you put main beam on in fog and end up seeing less than with dipped beam alone?

Fogs are for seeing, not posing. However I will admit to using them on a certain country lane near me which is notorious for errant deer as I hope the fact that fogs cover more of the verge side and hopefully are more visible to deer making them think twice before jumping out into the road. So far despite meeting many such creatures, I've not had an accident just yet, although close on a couple of occasions. Sorry, going off topic myself...

Back on topic, is it not the case that fogs are not LEDs because a yellow light produced by incandescent bulbs is more useful in foggy conditions than the whiter light emitted by LEDs which will cause more reflection back off the aerosol water droplets. Bit like when you put main beam on in fog and end up seeing less than with dipped beam alone?

Fogs are for seeing, not posing. However I will admit to using them on a certain country lane near me which is notorious for errant deer as I hope the fact that fogs cover more of the verge side and hopefully are more visible to deer making them think twice before jumping out into the road. So far despite meeting many such creatures, I've not had an accident just yet, although close on a couple of occasions. Sorry, going off topic myself...

Correct. Yellow light is far more effective than white.

LEDs can be made to produce light of whatever colour you like these days.

Also correct. However, in most cases people swap with a white LED to match the xenon colour, which is purely a vanity decision and not a performance one. Edited by SC03OTT
  • Like 1

Correct. Yellow light is far more effective than white.

Also correct. However, in most cases people swap with a white LED to match the xenon colour, which is purely a vanity decision and not a performance one.

Yellow is certainly more effective in FOG

I cannot remember the last time I have needed to use front fog lights though (I also drive over 100K mile PA), using them as cornering lights however is different... the OE std halogen cornering lights are all but redundant unless it is pitch black, but with white LED’s fitted they are now useful.

I cannot remember the last time I have needed to use front fog lights though (I also drive over 100K mile PA), using them as cornering lights however is different... the OE std halogen cornering lights are all but redundant unless it is pitch black, but with white LED’s fitted they are now useful.

Well yes that's also a point and I'd tend to agree. I find them useless and only use them when putting my rear on as you have no option.

Switched my standard fogs to the LED ones (as recommended by Gizmo in the pinned thread) & I think they are way better in terms of illuminating the road (in cornering function also) not to mention they look FAR better!!

• Like 1

*You need to move up Norf then..... Where we get proper fog and proper snow. :D  :D :D

*Said in my best Sean Bean accent. ;)

Edited by WaveyDavey