Blower fan no blow

Zundap

Got in my 2010 superb elegance, with climatic control, and blower motor not working on any setting. Not good!

Have read various threads and they seem to fail. Before I go and order a new fan any of you guys can suggest anything obvious I might want to check first?

I see euro car parts do 2 makes of fan, one by EIS for £100 and one by Valeo for £200 anyone have any thoughts either way on which one to go for?

I haven't priced one from Skoda yet but I expect it to be much more.

Thanks

Just an update

Removed fan and checked over, spins freely, plugs secure, no obvious defects. Made sure all wires in to connector were secure. Gave it a general tap all over and wiggled wiring loom as you do. Gave it a go and it sprang into life. Tried it several more times and can't fault it!

So have refitted it and it's working fine. Who knows what was up with it and it may well fail again we shall see.

Removal is so easy, under/behind glove box, No need to remove it. 3 small 6mm bolts hold the fan in and then twist it clockwise and with a bit of careful wriggling it will come out. Remove one plug and it's off.

• Like 1

The most obvious reason being a loose connection which will return at some point in time. A second and not very obvious one would be that the rotor stopped at a point of being electrically/magnetically imbalanced a very very rare occurrence.

So loose connection it is then. No blooming smilies.

• 1 year later...

D

On 11/09/2016 at 12:42, Zundap said:

We have a cheerful lot on here!!

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Did it stay working Zundap? Mine has just stopped and will be taking a look int he morning. Apparently there's a resistor for it under the glove box too, although so far I've only seen this listed as a cause for the 4-speed fan controller and mine has the climatronic automatic thing with more than 6 speeds.

As mentioned its likely a sign of worn (and sticking brushes), there is a chance it'll eventually stop working again at some point.

Hopefully long after the rest of the car has died!

On 9/9/2016 at 08:48, 999smiler said:

When I bought my 2009 elegance I spotted the fan wasn't working on the test drive and the dealer fitted a second hand Passat blower and it's still ok.

Mine is ex company car and had done 110k and now I'm on 135k.

@999smiler I too have an elegance and think the same issue on the blower as you.

I assume that the passat replacement was one from a climatronic version passat ?

I rang dealer and the one I need is £395 and have no intention paying that.

For others with elegance / climatronic what 3rd party blowers did ye go with ?

One other thing what car models and years are the same as the 2009 climatronic skoda blower ?

Links would be great.

Thanks

Edited by dfsuperb

The cheapest blower fan for Climatronic equipped cars appears to be £110, plus shipping (only free on orders over £140), but I can't see how much shipping is.

If it is less than £7 they will be cheaper than Eurocarparts.

Quite a bit of price variance across the different brands.

• Like 1

I went for Plan B.

A local breaker had a 2012 skoda superb heater blower thats the same as what I need.

I collected it today and plugged it in and hey presto the fan came on and variable works fine.

I will try fit it tomorrow. It looks like it should drop out without removing glovebox or any other bits.

€70 for the part so Im happy...

The replacement of the blower was straight forward.

Took off the sound proofing fabric and twisted the blower and with a little bit of wiggling it came out.

It helped by pressing the passenger air feed pipe (for heating and cooling) behind the glove box towards the glovebox by 5-6mm.

The fan was stiff and I sprayed WD40 on it and tested it and it spun up fine. But I still replaced it with the newer (2012) one.

Id seen others that said lube only worked short term so I continued with the swap.

Last thing is MAX button worked fine first go but for the rest I had to remove ignition key and go again and it was fine.

Thanks everyone for the help . . . Saved me a fortune... Thanks Briskoda Guys.

• Like 1

Didnt have to remove a thing other than the fabric stuff held up by 2 stud things.

pressing the heater pipe forward really helped, put fingers in where arrows are in photo and pull lightly forward 5-6mm while dropping the blower out.

Untitled.thumb.png.cf5d116db5fb4aede7e9e45f9bfccd56.png

here is the octavia video and I think that would have come out too. See removing the glove box and heater thing doesnt actually create any extra space for the blower to drop out other than easier to see what you do.

Once you disconnect the cable from it a wiggle gets it out.

Its the advantage of a big car there is lots of space for everything.

Edited by dfsuperb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Thanks Dfsuperb. That was really useful. Just back from a camping trip where my blower failed. Following your hints I was able to remove the motor, free it up and replace all in a muddy field in Scotland without tools. Made for a much more pleasant drive home than I thought we were going to have!

Guess I will probably need to buy a new one in the near future but its worked for about a week now.

Thanks to all who've posted on sourcing new ones too.

Cheers

David

• 2 weeks later...

My 2012 with climatic goes in next week. Went away for a month and came back to nothing.

They’re saying upto an hour and a half at $220 and it’s most likely wiring or the fan’s gone. $850 down under. If it is the fan, which the local Skoda dealer doesn’t have in stock anyway as they’ve strangely never come across the problem, I’ll be heading online back in the UK for a replacement.

Hopefully with the knowledge I’ve gained here I won’t be ripped off.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/09/2016 at 18:03, Zundap said:

Got in my 2010 superb elegance, with climatic control, and blower motor not working on any setting. Not good!

Have read various threads and they seem to fail. Before I go and order a new fan any of you guys can suggest anything obvious I might want to check first?

I see euro car parts do 2 makes of fan, one by EIS for £100 and one by Valeo for £200 anyone have any thoughts either way on which one to go for?

I haven't priced one from Skoda yet but I expect it to be much more.

Thanks

I was about to send it to the local garage (out of warranty) to have it checked out but thought I would do it myself.

No tools needed, just a strained back and a contortionist.

Take out the foam thingy that covers the underside of the dash area that was screwed with 2 plastic tacks.

And wiggle the motor clockwise.

There is a catch that you have to pull downwards by half an inch and the motor should drop down.

I plugged out all the cables and refit them in and it seemed to work.

The motor may be on its way out but I do not know why refitting the cables fixed the issue.

• 1 month later...
On 28/09/2018 at 03:34, rasserie said:

I was about to send it to the local garage (out of warranty) to have it checked out but thought I would do it myself.

No tools needed, just a strained back and a contortionist.

Take out the foam thingy that covers the underside of the dash area that was screwed with 2 plastic tacks.

And wiggle the motor clockwise.

There is a catch that you have to pull downwards by half an inch and the motor should drop down.

I plugged out all the cables and refit them in and it seemed to work.

The motor may be on its way out but I do not know why refitting the cables fixed the issue.

Mine went recently and this thread really helped. As above, it literally took me under 5 mins to get the old one out, but the fan was very stiff and no amount of WD-40 or spray grease would free it. I suspect bearing failure on mine as you could hear the relay click when it was switched on.

ECP had the part above in stock and I got the usual £60 discount using that days special code, and fitted the new fan in the car park outside in 5 mins. Refitting was slightly fiddlier as it requires a little finesse to get the fan properly seated, but it was a no-tools quick swap.

Dealer wanted £75 just to inspect the fault and also told me a 5 week wait before it could be booked in! Entire thing fixed in under 1 hr including drive time to the local ECP, and £110. If I'd been more patient and not had a 300 mile drive in this cold weather the next few days, then I could have sourced a used one off eBay for £50