Dyno test of DTUK box...

Hey all. I'm booking my O3 VRS for some Dyno runs @ RGS Motorsport in Wellingborough. I'm putting the DTUK tuning box to the test vs standard. Just wondering if there's any interest in getting some cars together to make it a mini dyno meet? I've been quoted £65+ but that might come down with more cars.

Also posted on the VRS FB group too.

Very interested, also have the DTUK box and DSG, but a bit far away sadly.

What's with the new maps? I cannot run anything more than +1 on any of the three options without getting EML light coming on, accompanied by limp mode. Seems the DSG can't handle the torque maybe? It does only seem to happen when I'm using the paddles/changing manually and at 'full chat' though... :p

Disappointing that there are several unusable options because of the above limitations though.

Edited by skodaphile

Too far for me buy look forward to seeing the results. Particularly if anyone attends with a petrol variant. A dtuk box is something I've considered for the future 

Very interested, also have the DTUK box and DSG, but a bit far away sadly.

What's with the new maps? I cannot run anything more than +1 on any of the three options without getting EML light coming on, accompanied by limp mode. Seems the DSG can't handle the torque maybe? It does only seem to happen when I'm using the paddles/changing manually and at 'full chat' though... :p

Disappointing that there are several unusable options because of the above limitations though.

I was running mine on 2+2 on the old maps and I got some stuttering that made it unusable. Took it in for a warranty check and it was all good so I sent the box back for the new maps they've been developing.

When I got it back I popped it on 2+2 and it was actually worse. I've since settled on 1+1 and its made it much more aggressive. Mines DSG and I only saw the EML once.

I spoke to the guy @ RGS at length about the box and he suggested that I'll see EGR / DPF issues in the future as the MAF is still running as standard. I'll be driving it down there with the blanking plug installed - doing 3 runs then I'll pop the box on and pop out for a 10 min drive to get it working right.

• Like 1

I've dyno tested the dtuk box on my petrol dsg vrs. The place was gotboost in Bridgend South wales. I was more interested in the gain rather than the new reading. The 3 maps DTUK gave me were 1) one they have used for a while 2) newish map 3) map they just had in

Stock was 235bhp 260lbft (the tester was suprised as the dyno they use is well known to show low readings especially torque)

oldish DTUK map +2 was 266bhp and 285lbft and very very smooth

newest DTUK map +2 was 280bhp and 330lbft and very aggressive early on.

I was expecting more, however to compare, gotboost showed me a run with a audi s1 running revo stage 1. It only put down 290bhp.

What we noticed was once the dtuk box was used the car would struggle at top. My peak figures were all low down the rev range, then the power would dip and try to build again before the red line.

Having looked at the cars with dtuk boxes running 300bhp+, they seem to have gained the same as my car from stock. So I recon a little bit of dyno lottery is to play.

What I've also seen on various forums is that +3 (if your car can take it) will give you the most power. I was trying to get a answer from dtuk but its like getting blood from a stone. Only answer you get is "just try all the settings see which one is best".

For the price is quite good, but it's not as good as a true map.

My car will run in +3 but I loose stop start and when I check vag com, theres loads of errors, mainly boost related.

Edited by john_20v

yip. I'll scan them in tomorow.

the dyno tester seemed to think it was possibly the car holding back for some reason, maybe due to fuel like a knock detection perhaps.

Edited by john_20v
  • Like 1

Has anyone had problems dyno testing Octavia 3?

As I understand the car "knows" it is not actually moving despite wheels are rolling and limits the power.

Is there a setting to allow dyno?

Or a fuse to remove, perhaps?

As I understand the car "knows" it is not actually moving despite wheels are rolling and limits the power.

No, but your emissions may suddenly, unexplainedly, dramatically improve!  :p

• Like 1

Hmmm, VAG and problems with static testing - where have I heard that before?......

Maybe you need dyno for 4x4 wheel drive then. If the rear wheels are moving as well, I dont see how could the car know otherwise.

My dashboard was like a Christmas tree after going on JKM's rollers last year, but it didn't affect the dyno, and the lights cleared after about 100 yards of driving.

Gaz

Maybe you need dyno for 4x4 wheel drive then. If the rear wheels are moving as well, I dont see how could the car know otherwise.

My Octavia is 4x4 so we tried on a 4x4 dyno, obviously.

I think G-sensors sensed it wasn't moving and thus didn't give good power.

yip. I'll scan them in tomorow.

the dyno tester seemed to think it was possibly the car holding back for some reason, maybe due to fuel like a knock detection perhaps.

Can you feel the tension of people waiting for the graphs?

• Like 4

I'd quite like to know how exactly the dtuk boxes work. I've read about them on various forums and obviously there own site. It's interesting that map 1 sees around 266bhp as the box is marketed as achieving 300bhp and above.

Has anyone got or had a JB1 box before?

Edited by Johnski21

I'd quite like to know how exactly the dtuk boxes work. I've read about them on various forums and obviously there own site. It's interesting that map 1 sees around 266bhp as the box is marketed as achieving 300bhp and above.

It's what's sometimes known as an "interceptor box"; it reads the values output by the primary EMS and supplies a "trimmed value" to the actual engine component.

For example, if you're at throttle demand 40% and 3_000rpm, it might read EMS injector duty as 43% and back that down to 40%, but if your demand was 100% and 5_500 it might increase fuelling from 91 to 95%.

A remap does much the same thing, but without the delay imposed by the interceptor processing

• Like 1

My understanding is that they fake a low fuel pressure and turbo boost pressure to make the ECU ask for more.

The 3 channel ones I believe can be a bit smarter about it, by changing the amount they fake the sensor signals differently at different revs.

I suspect on diesels they can achieve fairly close to the result of a remap, but on petrols you have more things to tinker with like ignition timing that it can't override.