Amundsen (MIB2) - Firmware update. Can you DIY it?

Do you get the same result from the Skoda Update Portal as I get for my MIB2 Bolero: "Your navigation system can be updated only from DVD. Please visit your dealer."? I asked here about it a few weeks ago, but no one had any definite further information. I suppose I could try doing as it suggests and actually try contacting my dealer!

There are a couple of threads here someone with several people able to upgrade the software of the Amundsen unit themselves "unofficially".

If you can find the thread you can PM some of the guys to see if they can direct you to a link for it.

The threads I've seen have been for MIB1, and I have been keeping a lookout. One of them is nothing but people making public posts asking for the link instead of privately messaging.

• 2 months later...

Interested to know how they would update MIB2 Amundsen systems from DVD when there is no CD drive in the MIB2 units?

DVD in the dealers computer > plug said computer into car.  Easy .

It's actually: transfer DVD data onto sd card and use sd card...

But is there actually anything to the "Your navigation system can be updated only from DVD. Please visit your dealer" message from the update portal, or is it just a change in the boilerplate text of the page? It seems cars all over the world are seeing the message which makes me think it's just a standard message badly translated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2017-5-31 at 20:23, fips21 said:

Hi,

a new firmware is available. It is version 0252 and has about 3.6gb. Worked perfectly for me! PN for more information. ;)

Regards

PM Sent

Can anyone who has carried out this firmware comment on whether any VCDS coding is required to complete the update? I have seen on the MIB1 thread that this is a requirement, without doing this there is an error about Software Versions after performing the upgrade.

47 minutes ago, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

It's usually a conformation of installation fault, this can be cleared with VCP and ODIS but I'm not sure about VCDS? 

I don't have any of those things - will that be an issue?

13 hours ago, sneeks said:

Did anyone else install the updated firmware and if so did you encounter any issues with fault messages afterwards?

On 6/9/2017 at 13:29, TimmyB said:

Can anyone who has carried out this firmware comment on whether any VCDS coding is required to complete the update? I have seen on the MIB1 thread that this is a requirement, without doing this there is an error about Software Versions after performing the upgrade.

I updated my MIB2 Bolero few months ago to MIB SW 252 and used VCDS to clear out the error. Method was exactly same as for MIB1 and error was cleared for me.

VCDS CODING:
1) 5F (Infotainment) module, Adaptations, channel: 'Confirmation of installation change'
2) Note your current coding
3) Start Windows calculator and set it to 'Programming mode' and select 'HEX' option
4) Calculation: (current coding) Xor C9D2
5) Change the adaptation channel to the new (just calculated) code
6) VCDS main screen, 'Auto-Scan'
7) Check for fault codes (generated by the update) and clear them (software version, interrupted communication, etc.)
Note that VCDS shows your code on the adaptation channel with a space ('xx xx' format).
You have to remove the space before you calculate your new code.
At the point you enter your new (calculated) code, insert the space again.
EXAMPLE (don't use these values):
'1A 1A' (original coding of the adaptation channel)
1A1A Xor C9D2 equals D3C8
Enter it as 'd3 c8' (with space and lower case) on the adaptation channel
If your original code starts with zero(s) just remove them before calculating (if it's 0AFB for example calculate with AFB)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, milanj said:

I updated my MIB2 Bolero few months ago to MIB SW 252 and used VCDS to clear out the error. Method was exactly same as for MIB1 and error was cleared for me.

VCDS CODING:
1) 5F (Infotainment) module, Adaptations, channel: 'Confirmation of installation change'
2) Note your current coding
3) Start Windows calculator and set it to 'Programming mode' and select 'HEX' option
4) Calculation: (current coding) Xor C9D2
5) Change the adaptation channel to the new (just calculated) code
6) VCDS main screen, 'Auto-Scan'
7) Check for fault codes (generated by the update) and clear them (software version, interrupted communication, etc.)
Note that VCDS shows your code on the adaptation channel with a space ('xx xx' format).
You have to remove the space before you calculate your new code.
At the point you enter your new (calculated) code, insert the space again.
EXAMPLE (don't use these values):
'1A 1A' (original coding of the adaptation channel)
1A1A Xor C9D2 equals D3C8
Enter it as 'd3 c8' (with space and lower case) on the adaptation channel
If your original code starts with zero(s) just remove them before calculating (if it's 0AFB for example calculate with AFB)

Thanks for the confirmation.

• 1 month later...

Is the firmware update mentioned here only for the Bolero or will it work on the Amundsen mib2? The thread title mentions the Amundsen but I notice a few of the replies reference the Bolero.