26K to spend. New Octy 4x4 or 1yo Volvo XC60 AWD?

Rab-k

Model

• Octavia Estate SE L
Trim Level
  • £25,180SE L

Engine
  • 2.0 TDI CR 150PS 4x4 DPF
Exterior
  • £535Black Magic Pearlescent
  • £016" Velorum alloy wheels

Interior
  • Black interior
Extra Equipment
  • £285Rear side airbags
  • £100Temporary space saver spare wheel
  • £550Tow bar with adaptor
  • £200Rough road package
  • £105Cornering front fog lights
  • £125Electrically heated, adjustable and folding door mirrors - auto dimming
  • £150Crew Protection Assistant
  • £400Electrically operated boot
ŠKODA Care Options
  • £0ŠKODA Roadside Assistance
Recommended OTR

£27,630

Alternatively...

2015 (65) Volvo XC60 D5 SE Lux Nav, DRIVER SUPPORT & Winter Packs, AWD Manual  £27,780

Whilst the Volvo is a bit dated it's a much better quality offering in my book.

The 5 cylinder D5 engine really is a beauty, although I'd have to get the r design as the se rolls too much - others however complain the ride is too hard in the r design.

If you've not had a test drive it's worth getting a shot.

We were planning on replacing the vRS with a 2016 r design lux nav d5 awd geartronic but have now decided on a X3.

Also if you speak to a friendly Volvo dealer (highly recommend David from clelands Volvo in Galashiels if you're in the borders/Edinburgh) they can source you a ex-Volvo car with very low mileage with almost exactly what you're after.

Edited by gullyg

Volvo is several classes above the Octavia for quality & refinement.

I had a test drive in the D5 AWD last weekend & it is a great combination.

The "new" XC60 is due out sometime next year but the current version is a great car & here in Switzerland they are offereing 30% discount on them new.

The Octy spec is pretty basic & the XC60 comes will several nice features like BLIS & ACC.

It would be the XC60 for me from the two.

The Volvo is a better car and £27k is a great deal on a £36k list price car.

However the Octavia can be had for around £20k in your spec:

https://broadspeed.com/CarView/Skoda/Octavia/38227/TDI_2.0_150PS_Diesel_SE_L_Manual_5_doors

Or maybe consider the Octavia Scout model for £700 more.

Agree with glosrich, it's not really apples and apples given that the Skoda can be had for less, but just sticking to those two options I'd certainly be looking at the Volvo in person.

I was after a big boot when we got the Octy and we went to a local Volvo dealer to check out the V70, but they had used ones with 20-30k miles on the clock with a sticker price that was above the list price of the Octavia. Comparing new to new and used to used they're not nearly in the same price bracket, Different class of finish inside though.

Volvo are nice motors but I speak from experience that their customer service is poor and servicing costs are expensive

Was that Volvo UK or your dealer? We've had two volvos (850 and s40) over the years and only had dealing with dealers as they were out of warranty and they were excellent in Gala - the Edinburgh one isn't so good.

One of the major reasons I'm leaving Skoda is SUK sucking rather than the local dealer who are very good.

As for the service costs Volvo do fix price servicing for new/nearly new cars. I can't remember what it was for the XC60 when I looked but it wasn't too bad.

When looking at the Octavia I also looked elsewhere. Volvo was one of them.

Very nice inside, better build quality than the Skoda but unlike Volvo's of the past, seriously lacking in space compared to the octavia (this was the same class version as the octavia v60). Also the price, they are not cheap.

Saying that is was a very nice car to drive! If I had the money I might have gone for the Volvo.

In terms of styling isn't it more a competitor of the Yeti ? I can't say I find the XC60 particuarly "stylish" ( about equivalent to a tissue box would be), and don't even dare to suggest its "sexy".

Although I think the Yeti is a bit more friendly daresay family like in that styling of crossover range whilst the Volvo is somewhat more business-like, and a bit alien to me ( I'm still not entirely that keen on their styling ). I very almost would have had a Yeti in white ( 1.8 maybe) before I settled on the TFSI vRS though to be fair that's not really an oil painting either is it!

The Octavia you would imagine being on much better budget and different price mark to the Volvo except with the added extras at £2k really bumps it up. You ought to really be looking at an Octy with extras thrown in for that kind of money, and it not being a vRS or L&K. In fact you'd probably be better saving a few more quid FOR an L&K ( which is rarer and will hold its value better ).

Of course you are always better buying a car when they have offers on included extras like that, its otherwise only a mugs game paying for countless extras on cars which will only lose money when you sell anyway.

Clearly in that regard its obvious the Volvo is the better buy there but both are bloody expensive

Edited by vRSAnt

Was that Volvo UK or your dealer? We've had two volvos (850 and s40) over the years and only had dealing with dealers as they were out of warranty and they were excellent in Gala - the Edinburgh one isn't so good.

One of the major reasons I'm leaving Skoda is SUK sucking rather than the local dealer who are very good.

As for the service costs Volvo do fix price servicing for new/nearly new cars. I can't remember what it was for the XC60 when I looked but it wasn't too bad.

Gully,

Who do you use? I used Western for servicing who were canny but open to suggestions!

Skoda - west end Skoda up in sighthill. They're fantastic service wise but their sales left a bit to be desired (I bought from Simpsons preston after west end wouldn't sort out a test drive). Arnold shark (Seafield) wanted £15 for a "courtesy car" and were generally living up to their moniker of Arnold shark.

Volvo - used Murray sighthill once and were dreadful so switched to clelands in Galashiels who were excellent (5 or 6 years ago). We were in both Murray and clelands looking at the xc60 and got the same feeling about both so was definitely going to buy from clelands until SWMBO took a shine to the X3.

The X3 is on order through western (peter vardy on Seafield wouldn't give us a price unless we wanted to buy that day), but only had sales experiance although I've heard 1 good reference for western and 1 bad for peter vardy from friends.

Volvo for me.

The Xc60 D5 AWD is a lovely car. Step up in quality compared to the Octavia.

I will probably part ex my Octavia for something else in the Volvo range next year.

I have the Octavia Vrs and XC60 FWD 2.0D. The Volvo is just as quick but more refined. DSG is better than 8 speed Volvo auto though.

• 2 weeks later...

Volvo are nice motors but I speak from experience that their customer service is poor and servicing costs are expensive

Customer service is almost always down to the dealer. The "service" I received from Sparshatts Skoda in Southampton was abysmal, worst I've experienced in a very long time. One of the main reasons I sold my Octavia earlier than I had intended. I now have a Volvo V40 D4 R Design and as others here have stated the quality, comfort and refinement are in a totally different league to the Skoda. I haven't had to have the car serviced yet but I do expect it to cost more than the Skoda did. This will be more than compensated for by the much better residual value!

• Like 1