EU referendum/Brexit discussion - Part 2

john999boy

1 minute ago, domhnall said:

erm they were implementing some of the checks that will be needed post Brexit. Some of them. Not all of them. Yes they were trying to make a point but surely that does us a favour by showing what things are likely to be like in April?

I think the word 'militant' says a lot.

3 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

I think the word 'militant' says a lot.

militant to my mind says people who are defying the law, doing so in an aggressive or warlike fashion. Those enforcing the law to the letter are ultra conservative rather than militant. They're doing their job better than they normally do, that's not militant. 

Edited by domhnall

3 minutes ago, domhnall said:

militant to my mind says people who are defying the law, doing so in an aggressive or warlike fashion. Those enforcing the law to the letter are ultra conservative rather than militant. They're doing their job better than they normally do, that's not militant. 

Yes. I didn't make it up. It was a quote from here:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/eurostar-in-chaos-for-second-day-as-french-customs-staff-continue-brexit-drill-a4084996.html

It was in a post from about 10 pages back.

5 minutes ago, domhnall said:

Perhaps the word you are grasping for is "JOBSWORTH".:tongueout:

8 minutes ago, domhnall said:

........and he’s a diplomat by profession........but still deals in facts.

7 minutes ago, domhnall said:

erm they were implementing some of the checks that will be needed post Brexit. Some of them. Not all of them. Yes they were trying to make a point but surely that does us a favour by showing what things are likely to be like in April?

Jean-Marc Puissesseau, president and chief executive of Port Boulogne Calais, told the BBC’s Today programme that the port “will be ready” on March 29, the date when Britain will leave the EU if no agreement is reached.

“The trucks will be passing as they are doing today,” he said. “There will not be any delay.”

Puissesseau said Calais had been preparing for the possibility of a Brexit no-deal for a year and had demarcated a special area for lorry drivers who did not have the right paperwork in order not to slow down transit times.

He said they would only ask lorry drivers for “their customs declaration”, adding: “but we will not stop or ask more as we are doing today.”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-calais/calais-port-boss-expects-little-disruption-from-a-no-deal-brexit-idUKKCN1P31LO

On 09/10/2018 at 14:50, Skoffski said:

So an Irish Politician and a Northern Irish think there are to be Open Borders and easy come easy go as there has been an agreement between the UK and Ireland.

Not sure that was what those that made the votes that have lead to BREXIT next year understood was to be happening.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45787184

Scotland needs to do more exports with some more politicians.

The Scottish people have no say really in who governs the UK so also Scotland, 

but voters in Scotland keep voting in some right hopeless MSP's & then they are Governing Scotland.

Keep giving them jobs and sometime they might find one they can actually do. Or likely not.

the only ones making it an issue regarding the border is the EU and Leo Varadakar, of course they want to jump up and down about it because its the only mechanism left to keep us tied to the EU in some way. 

The British Govt dont want a hard border regardless of the outcome, neither do the northern Irish, The Irish on the other hand and elements of republican movement in Northern Ireland see this as the perfect opportunity to edge us closer to a United ireland by driving a wedge between the mainland an N.I. there are other elements at play in this decision.

• Sad 1

Just now, Ryeman said:

........and he’s a diplomat by profession........but still deals in facts.

And was turfed out in an ugly power play whereby he ended up on his tush. Not very well liked, IIRC.

6 minutes ago, moley said:

Now, I can almost hear that squeaky wheelbarrow coming with some amazing quotes from 'Sir dead person' or 'The Guardian' (same really)...

:D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, domhnall said:

Regardless of what the French do in the future if the UK finds itself continually subjected to a partial blockade by this one country then it is time to get our products, both imports and exports, routed to and from elsewhere. In fact it is well past time they have done it in the past and I have spent hours sitting in airports waiting for my flight delayed because of French air traffic control being on strike.

1 hour ago, JohnnyType2 said:

the only ones making it an issue regarding the border is the EU and Leo Varadakar, of course they want to jump up and down about it because its the only mechanism left to keep us tied to the EU in some way. 

The British Govt dont want a hard border regardless of the outcome, neither do the northern Irish, The Irish on the other hand and elements of republican movement in Northern Ireland see this as the perfect opportunity to edge us closer to a United ireland by driving a wedge between the mainland an N.I. there are other elements at play in this decision.

sigh

we are the ones who say we want to take back control of the border - while not controlling the border.

We also want to lave the single market and all the regulatory standards on things like food and drink, consumer protection. So if we are goign to be making and buying/selling goods which are of a different standard then to protect the integrity of the single market there need to be controls over what is coming in to that market. This is just a basic requirement and i t was well and truly flagged up as an issue ahead of the referendum. It's not a trick or a tactic, it's just a legal reality and we need to come up with a way to deal with it other than a hard border,

• Like 3

1 minute ago, domhnall said:

we need to come up with a way to deal with it other than a hard border,

IIRC it's also the WTO that requires a hard border between third countries isn't it?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lee01 said:

IIRC it's also the WTO that requires a hard border between third countries isn't it?

well yes I understand that to be the case

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnnyType2 said:

That may be true, but does conveniently ignore the  point that any form of hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland would be a breach of the GFA (not that I see the Palace of Oathbreakers caring about that) and that there is no legal mechanism for having an internal UK border between NI and GB either.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

err....NO,

WTO says its rules would not force EU or UK to erect hard Irish border.

The World Trade Organisation (WTO) has said that there is nothing in its rules that would force either the EU or UK to erect a hard Irish border after Brexit.

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/wto-says-its-rules-would-not-force-eu-or-uk-to-erect-hard-irish-border-1.3710136