EU referendum/Brexit discussion - Part 2

john999boy

17 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

You're aware Churchill actually wanted the very kind of Europe everyone now detests, aren't you? 

The Brexit pushers have forgotten about the Iron Curtain speech to Congress.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

Oh 'The Guardian' again...

Now, where's my grain of salt?

None are so stupid as those who want to be told only what they want to be told.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

None are so stupid as those who want to be told only what they want to be told.

I'm still trying to work out what you're doing here.

You don't even drive a Skoda!

2 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

I'm still trying to work out what you're doing here.

You don't even drive a Skoda!

Fan boys can’t be expected to understand perhaps.

13 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

Idiots are people who want the truth, are shown the truth and yet believe the lies.

I couldn't agree more ,

Absolutely 100%

Doesn't account for those gobsh@#es

Who are shown black and see white however.

17 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

Idiots are people who want the truth, are shown the truth and yet believe the lies.

.........and which led to this shambles known as Brexit 

Just now, gadgetman said:

Similar stories have appeared in the Mail, Telegraph and Express today ;)

Oh, that’s ‘inconvenient’ then. ))))

3 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Similar stories have appeared in the Mail, Telegraph and Express today ;)

That's OK, it's more the fact that 'The Guardian' must account for a vaaast majority of news sources on this forum discussion.

And mostly by one-eyed, fingers-in-ears 'contributors' (I use that term very loosely).

25 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

That's OK, it's more the fact that 'The Guardian' must account for a vaaast majority of news sources on this forum discussion.

And mostly by one-eyed, fingers-in-ears 'contributors' (I use that term very loosely).

And complaints about the Gruaniad's coverage usually comes from people who think that the Daily Heil and/or the Torygraph are unbiased sources.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KenONeill said:

And complaints about the Gruaniad's coverage usually comes from people who think that the Daily Heil and/or the Torygraph are unbiased sources.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the complaints come from those who think they 'won' something.

2 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

When 6 corporations and effectively 232 executives control the information for 277 million Americans, and 5 moguls own 80% of UK media, one can't help to think that personal interests could come into play.

Definite chance that May will pull the vote tomorrow no real point if there are no changes. The vote on no deal on Wednesday is only relevant if the "ayes" have it, default position on the 29th is still leave with no deal. 

People will read newspapers that most closely print what they want to hear not what is necessarily correct, twas always that way. Luckily the Web does at least give you some chance of getting the real story or what this or that person actually said, sometimes!

On 09/03/2019 at 22:00, Lee01 said:

Sovereignty? We never lost it (and FYI every trade deal in the history of trade deals ever made requires you relinquish a minute amount of it)
Controlling our borders? We're a fekkin ISLAND! 
Blue passports? We could have had them at any time.
EU migrants claiming benefits? Well ask TM why SHE didn't apply EU rules that would have stopped them.
Non EU Migrants? Nowt to do with the EU. Again, ask TM why she didn't do her job.
NHS? Ask the tories.
Police cuts? see above.
Education cuts? see above the above.
You think the UK's problems were caused by being in the EU? Man you're an idiot!
I'm sick of repeating what being a member of the EU has done for the UK. 
I bet some are just as sick of me pointing it out to them.
To those that I annoyed, I don't apologise and I hope you get your hardest of hard brexits thrust upon you and wish you good luck.
By good luck, I mean I hope you choke on your sovereignty. 

I suspect unlike everyone else on this thread I have met and continue to meet with politicians who are driving this process. I meet not only the Brexiteers, but also Government Ministers and officials and of course the opposition. 

What this seems to be about for the Government is about changing the alignment of our legal system (and therefore the detailed regulations which control every aspect of our lives). They think that for too long we have been aligned with Europe. This is a relatively novel thing for England - though of course in Scotland it has been something that started in the 1500s if not earlier (our legal system is based on Roman law heavily  influenced by Dutch law and has been since the days of the Reformation).

The Government wants to align us with (and in some cases adopt) US law. 

Everything else is detail but that is the guiding principle behind current government policy. They want us to trade more with the Americans and in order to do that our laws and regulations have to become more American. No doubt many of the active participants in this thread will howl with protest and ask me to cite articles or proof or public statements. I can do none of those things. All I can do is tell you what Ministers and officials have been telling me in meetings since late 2016 onwards. On one occasion the UK companies I represent were told they'd said enough and they were "too European" and the Government wanted to hear more from the American companies in our group. They too hate the idea of US regulation coming here and all the GOvernment could say was "that's very disappointing". 

We may well find our "sovereignty" is merely an exercise in swapping from being one of 27 in decision making to being the junior partner trying to negotiate with a powerful giant. 

Edited by domhnall
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking good. All going well.

Germany will really be wanting the countries exports into the UK, and they know if the UK can not get exports out and cash money for them paying for exports will be an issue.

Especially German exported and imported to the UK  products like cars and other expensive items.

German Manufacturer vehicles that were built or still are in the UK but are going to start being built in the Netherlands.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47213842

Denmark and the likes of Siemens will be wanting things moving smoothly, as will the pig farmers.

Edited by Skoffski