Fuel Economy Octavia vRS Diesel Hatch

Hi folks. Apologies if this has already been covered but I'm lacking knowledge in new car engines. Picked my 66 plate vrs up 2 weeks ago and have just hit 700 miles on the clock. Despite running in Economy mode I'm struggling to get above 42mpg. Will this improve as the engine loosens up? Getting nowhere near the same mpg as we did on our 59 plate Vrs. It's not been thrashed at all in fact have yet to give it a good run. Any thoughts? Never had a brand new car before so this is new territory. Do love it though, Meteor grey with black pack plus! ????

I never managed more than about 42mpg on average on my Tdi vRS estate over 3 years and 36k miles, it never seemed to "run in".

A few long runs I got a bit more and on a load of short runs I got about 10mpg (dpf regens constantly).

I've seen lots of people get better but others here have found the same.

Edited by gullyg

I have had my hatch Vrs diesel (manual) for a year now from new and have noticed a good improvement over the year. Mileage is now 9k. I've just returned tonight from a weeks holiday in scotland ( I live in NI). Covered approx 750 miles and averaged 54mpg (according to computer). Car is always in Vrs mode as I have found no difference in normal or eco. On the way there last Saturday the traffic was very slow- computer read an average of 61.5mpg from we left home to arriving in Moffat, which I was quite impressed with. We spent a few days in scottish borders, then up to Crieff for a few days with trips up as far as aviemore and up cairngorm. So it was a good mix of driving, with some long distances and town and city driving. I don't drive like I stole it but I'd usually be sitting at the speed limit and do enjoy opening it up at times, so I'd call myself an average driver, so therefore have found the economy very good.

I had a 63 plate MKIII Octavia Tdi Vrs ( 184 bhp Manual ) )  picked up with 7K miles and sold with 23K on the clock.

On a long run at Motorway speeds and above I could easily achive 55/57 mpg, on a " Grandad " drive I managed to get over 60 mpg

Around town, high 30's

Hi folks. Apologies if this has already been covered but I'm lacking knowledge in new car engines. Picked my 66 plate vrs up 2 weeks ago and have just hit 700 miles on the clock. Despite running in Economy mode I'm struggling to get above 42mpg. Will this improve as the engine loosens up? Getting nowhere near the same mpg as we did on our 59 plate Vrs. It's not been thrashed at all in fact have yet to give it a good run. Any thoughts? Never had a brand new car before so this is new territory. Do love it though, Meteor grey with black pack plus! ????

Manual or DSG?

Smug alert: my tree-hugging Greenline III Estate got 77.1mpg avg for my commute to work the other day, according to the maxi-dot.

I'm getting around 65mpg over a tankful according to Fuelly/Road Trip.

But I need a *lot* of road to overtake anything but the slowest tractors on the country roads... so there's a downside to frugality. ;)

In my view you shouldn't worry too much about mpg if you've bought a high performance car. And 42mpg isn't that bad for normal driving and a new car, especially if you're not doing many long journeys.

My old Leon FR 2.0 TFSI DSG would struggle to get high 30s and I only ever reached >40mpg by hypermiling and taking all the fun out of the car. Most of the time if I hit any traffic it would get low-20s mpg and it was costing me >£450/month in fuel!

Never got more than 43mpg out of mine in 23k miles.

You'll be very lucky to get any more than 45mpg out of yours, regardless of what others may tell you.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I've got a manual VRS Tdi Wagon and usually get around 55-58 mpg driving "Briskly"

around town on short trips economy is fairly low but its what you expect.

The engine really loosened up around 7K and 10K.

current milage is approx 22k

Edited by Simon667

I am extremely disappointed if my average drops below 50mpg, to do that needs some seriously hard driving to achieve. I am not a gentle all the time driver, but 50+ mpg is very much the norm.

Others have reported getting better economy in Normal and even Sport modes. Probably a good idea while running in anyway.

Was your previous car also a DSG?

See my post from a week ago for vRS, TDi, DSG, 4 x 4, Estate. Mileage now 2,900 and fuel consumption is all over the place for seemingly very similar journeys. Saw 51mpg on Thursday coming home and 41mpg this morning. This is on the M8 for 30 miles of 50 - 60mph.

Thanks for all the replies. This and the previous cars are both manual.

In that case the different modes will make very little difference to real economy as all they do is change the throttle response and not the efficiency of the engine.

Choose the mode you prefer and stick with that as you will be driving to conditions or your mood and you will moderate the throttle accordingly.

I had to look up what the 59 plate related to and apparently that is 2009/10. So it would have been a mk2, but would it have been Euro 4 (sans DPF) or Euro 5?

Sorry for the questions but emissions wise, we are so far behind in Australia that Euro5 was only implemented here just the other day.

You can check a site like fuelly.com for the average vRS economy.

But like Groath, I would be very dissapointed if I got below 50mpg & high 50s is possible with careful driving.

Others seem to struggle to get above mid-40's.

For sure, you will not get +10mpg when the engine "beds-in".

The main contributor to fuel economy is the driver & usually the improvement after a few thousand miles is the driver getting used to the car rather than the engine becoming looser.

Think about your right foot particularly when cruising at constant speed or accelerating slowly.

You should be smooth & steady with the Accelerator pedal as it is calibrated to be very agressive on the vRS.

If you are keeping a steady speed but constantly on-off-on-off the Accelerator pedal this is going to hurt the economy.

"ECO" mode might help some people but for many it will give no effect as they will just press the pedal further to give them the acceleration the want.

In the end if you press the pedal 100% you will get the same acceleration in ECO, normal & sport modes.

The types of journeys are also important but on a 20km round trip commute (my wife uses the car mostly these days) we still average in the mid-40's or higher if we use for a longer trip on the weekends.

Edited by Gabbo

This is my wifes trip.

I drive 65km each way each day but actually here in Switzerland it only takes me around 40 minutes as most of the way is on perfectly clear highway.

I can just set the cruise & wake up at work.

Just my two-penneth worth....I've got the DSG vRS and constantly drive everywhere in adaptive cruise mode, which I've read is not good for fuel economy, BUT, is fantastic for ease of driving (and obeying the speed limits ;) ) and I'm averaging around the 40-mark - this is with 75% of my driving being done on A-roads through villages etc, with the odd 10 mile blast down the bypass. I'm happy enough with that with my style of driving :)

Columbus car info showed 51.8mpg over 1280mls, and that whilst continually driving in eco mode, and mostly with 'stop - start (SS)' engaged. Not driving hard and over a mixture of motorway, country and town short journeys. Happy with that so now starting to drive in 'normal' mode and isolating SS from now on. By the way, car has DSG box, so another factor positive or negative (unsure which).

I've been driving a 16 plate TDI VRS with DSG box since March 2016. About every 3rd tank I tend to use the higher spec diesel - not convinced that it gives much better MPG or driving qualities though. Since I've had the car the best tankful gave me 52MPG and the worst was 41MPG. All in all I've attained an average of 47MPG at an average cost of 11p per mile for fuel. The car has now done 13000 miles and this has been a general mixture of long distance and local trips.