Why Oh Why

Based on all these comments, you'd all best turn your indicators off when stopped at traffic lights as well..... as having that flashing light in my face would be more annoying to me, than a constant-lit brake light.

If I am stopped my traffic lights and in the appropriate lane then my indicator would be cancelled.  I would enable it again once the traffic started to flow to ensure those at the junction the same time as myself know my intention.  Having passed an advanced driving test, conducted by a Class 1 Police Examiner this was deemed to be correct behaviour.

• Like 2

Things are different in the UK.

Norway and Australia obviously can get rain, drizzle and grey days seeing as they are big countries, they can also get long delays and hold ups.

Parts of the UK can have this commonly, and there is a Highway Code that covers 'Stopping' and sitting with a Foot on a Foot Brake for any length of time.

This might be from the days of simple rear Tail Lights & Brake Lights as a Pair or even a Pair & a High Level light, 

and some Modern Tail Lights are still not that much of an Issue, but some as Fitted to a Volvo SUV, BMW / Mercedes / Audi and others are a PITA or retina if you are 

behind them in Gridlock in the rain for mile after mile and not able to change lane and they just constantly sit foot on brake.

'Auto Hold' with a DSG is about the greatest thing since Sliced Bread and Seat Belts & Volvo Dim Dip with rear sidelights as well. (sadly no more on modern cars.)

And yet there are numerous threads here about upgrading what are already adequately bright lights. Not sure what the need is to burn out the retinas of those behind.

Verily I say unto you, do unto others as you would have others do unto you....read that somewhere.

Of course when I was a kid and we were caught in the UK legendary Bank Holiday Monday traffic jams the rear stop lights were like little glow worms then.

The problems were: if it was raining the cars all steamed up inside and everybody got hot angry and sweaty, or if it was hot the cars all overheated because the radiators were inadequate, so everybody got hot sweaty and angry by the road.

I don't have particularly fond memories of bank holiday travel in the mid-sixties.

The UK Trendy stylee thing is now White Lights that are so white they are blue lighting up an already reflective rear number plates, 

sometimes so bright you see white lights on your side of the road in what looks like in the distance, when you are a safe distance behind the Registration Plate is not readable due to these rear facing LED's.

But that rant is really for another thread....

• Like 1

- You dont like Start/Stop because that could mean a worn out starter motor after 8-10 years or so.

- The solution is to be very gentle on the brake pedal

Instead you find out that the clutch is still engaged, and that could end up with worn out clutches

- The solution is to set the gear lever in N or P, and engaged hand brake in stead.

After a while you find out that the hand brake rathed mechanism is worn out and starts complaining about bad quality.

?????

Is this kind of thinking and behavier a common thing among British people? :-)

• Like 2

After a while you find out that the hand brake rathed mechanism is worn out and starts complaining about bad quality.

This would only apply to those who fail to operate the handbrake properly - dragging it up so that it clicks over every ratchet is wrong, and people caught doing so should have their driving licenses revoked (along with those who roll forward/backwards on a hills holding the car with the clutch).

• Like 2

If I'm not mistaken I think that 95% of the car drivers outside UK would loose their driving license.

I have never heard of or seen in any car user manual that says you can not engange the handbrake without pushing the button.

From Octavia owner manual:

The handbrake secures the vehicle against unwanted movement when stopping and parking.

Apply › Pull the handbrake lever firmly upwards.

Release › Pull the handbrake lever up slightly and at the same time push in the lock button » Fig. 233 . › Move the lever right down while pressing the lock button

• Like 1

I'm afraid for all those that find brake lights unpleasant then things are only going to get worse.

On manual cars fitted with 'Auto-Hold' when this feature is activated the car automatically turns on the brake lights until it disengages.

So on a car approaching traffic lights for example when the car comes to a stop and the Auto-Hold activates (by pressing and releasing the brake pedal) the brake lights are left turned on until the clutch is depressed and the car moves off.

This feature isn't unique to Skoda either.

On DSG cars 'Hill-Hold' is fitted instead but this only works on gradients and doesn't apply the brake lights.

Also with adaptive cruise control when the car applies the brakes as you'd hope the brake lights are also turned on too.

• Like 1

At least the DfT / DVSA in a BREXIT UK can have the Highway Code changed to recognise new technology, and the Traffic Laws in the UK ensure that Bulbs & Lighting stay OEM and that can be checked by the Officers of the Law & DVSA, and at the first MOT in 4 years.

?

Have the UK Government continued with George Osborne' first MOT at 4 years in the UK announcement and when does that begin?

Does anyone actually get blinded by brakelights? Never had that problem.

No and never. Bright brake lights are good.

I do get ****ed with overly bright fashion DRLS on cars. What a distraction! Yes i can see your car now....wow nice pattern etc etc.

Sorry if I blinded you but, above your head is a sun glasses holder, fit them and stop your whinging.

FFS. Highway code, road traffic acts you lot need to get over it, the car in front of you is stopped and you're not going anywhere. It's not rocket science, you got in your car to drive somewhere and now you can't, it's not brake lights that have pee'd you off, it's stopping.

• Like 1

Are you serious, sitting on the A74 for a half hour in the rain in the dark, 2 lanes creeping forward & you want someone to put on sunglasses.

Car, Van or Motorcycle.

I once put full beam on when sitting behind a Police XC 90 for more than 6 miles which took 30 minutes or so on the Edinburgh City Bypass.

He got out and asked the reason, i suggested he tried sitting in and i would go hold the brake pedal on the marked police vehicle. He apologised.

• Like 2

Sorry if I blinded you but, above your head is a sun glasses holder, fit them and stop your whinging.

FFS. Highway code, road traffic acts you lot need to get over it, the car in front of you is stopped and you're not going anywhere. It's not rocket science, you got in your car to drive somewhere and now you can't, it's not brake lights that have pee'd you off, it's stopping.

No apology needed. Your skoda DRLs are about as bright as Joey Essex. Other manufacturers have their brightness set to '11'

My Octavia III does not have an adequately sized spectacle case holder. Tried all my cases but it is a few mm too narrow. The same cases fitted in my Octavia FL nae bother.

Last night whilst sitting at traffic lights I experimented,

Heavy pressure on brake pedal, revs drop to approx 750, moved transmission into N , instantaneous fuel consumption dropped by 0.1l/h and engine note changed.  Maintained the same pressure on the brake pedal and put transmission into D and fuel consumption increased and engine note changed.  So from that I would say the clutches aren't fully disengaging when stopped.

My Octavia III does not have an adequately sized spectacle case holder. Tried all my cases but it is a few mm too narrow. The same cases fitted in my Octavia FL nae bother.

+1

My sunglasses case has to live in the centre armrest as it's too wide to fit in the spectacles case holder.

+1

My sunglasses case has to live in the centre armrest as it's too wide to fit in the spectacles case holder.

Am I missing the point? I think the sunglasses holder is just for the glasses - not the case. That's why it's got a soft lining to it...

No case needed...

• Like 3

Am I missing the point? I think the sunglasses holder is just for the glasses - not the case. That's why it's got a soft lining to it...

No case needed...

Soft lining? Not in my Octavia, it's just hard plastic...

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2016 at 20:15, Bidey said:

No you get a kinda launch control when you slow down after being in cruise control at say a roundabout and as you exit the roundabout hit "continue" on cruise control and it will zip up through the DSG gears in D or S mode to previously set cruise speed.   ;<)

On 12/12/2016 at 18:09, YMe said:

You're all right - playing about today and yes a light press on the brakes and the car wants to creep but is just held engine revs at 1000ish. Firm press and the clutches disengage and revs drop to 750ish.

Playing about in Tesco's car park today I noticed that when idling in neutral if accelerator is pressed fully engine revs don't go above 2,500. Is this the "launch control" that I've read about?

I'm just back from testing the Launch Control of my VRS Combi DSG 4x4 in the dead of night on quiet roads.

Disengaged Traction Control and Stop Start, Sport setting selected foot to the floor both Throttle and Brake, Release Brake and she takes off like a Bat out of Hell!!!:devil:

Even the gear changes seemed slicker than normal too!

Anyone else tried this?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

A handbrake you can control properly :cool:

Handbrake turns I know but never did them..........

I can however in an emergency apply the EPB & stop way quicker than foot brake & normal handbrake........

So there is an advantage!