Battery state

When the clock shows keep your finger on the button and it should change to battery.

IIRC the clock time just started changing once TIME had been reached.

The other weak I couldn't start the car, the battery low message appeared. Had to charge it with other car with cables. Now it works but for how long? And damn thing is expensive because it's not regular battery, as it is made for Star-Stop system.

Just been out on a short run but long enough such that the stop start is functioning and yet battery state is still "amber SOC---%"

I thought that the stop-start only worked when the car considered the engine to be warm AND the battery state good enough to re-start the engine.

Is this SOC just a naff gadget or what?

Bob

Hi Fingers, Skoda UK stated to me that the SOC meter was disconnected from sometime in MY16 production. For the other members wondering about the SOC meter only ever reading a maximum of 80%, I believe that may be to allow capacity in the battery for the regenerative braking system. A meter CAN give some indication of charge, provided that is "zero suppressed" i.e. only reads from 12.0 to around 15 VDC. Of course the most accurate method is to test the battery voltage while it's under a known loading. 

Warrior193

Edited by Warrior193

The other weak I couldn't start the car, the battery low message appeared. Had to charge it with other car with cables. Now it works but for how long? And damn thing is expensive because it's not regular battery, as it is made for Star-Stop system.

To be honest I think you could get away with a non AGM/EFB type 096 battery and not use the stop/start feature.

Also if you can find someone with a VCDS I understand that stop start can be turned off permanently if not just get in the habit of turning it off with the button each time you start the engine.

Bob

To be honest I think you could get away with a non AGM/EFB type 096 battery and not use the stop/start feature.

Also if you can find someone with a VCDS I understand that stop start can be turned off permanently if not just get in the habit of turning it off with the button each time you start the engine.

Bob

Not sure that you would get away with that, I think that the standard lead-acid battery may not like the AGM setup for the "smart" alternator.

Warrior193. 

Ok so yesterday I tried out checking the battery status. First try it shows 70%, after that trying to make a video, says 0%, drive home and tried again 80% so it charged 10%.

But weak and a half ago, my batterie was so low I couldn't start the car!

Now my concern is what depleted the battery?

I was interrupting active regen for few days as I have short trips. Can the fan eat all the juice? And BT was ON so maybe when I turn off the car it is still searching for connection?

IDK

Edited by Croat

Guess my 2016 model does not indeed have SOC indication. Pressing the trip resets mileage then time appears which then zips away changing the time.No way to view or change anything else.

Mine has read "SOC---%" from new. Never failed to start

Mine was built in April and I got it new 6 weeks ago with 21km on it at delivery. I tried this after work last night and it said SOC---% too.

Guess my 2016 model does not indeed have SOC indication. Pressing the trip resets mileage then time appears which then zips away changing the time.No way to view or change anything else.

Same on my 2015 model, and no adaptation channel to enable it with VCDS either.

Same on my 2015 model, and no adaptation channel to enable it with VCDS either.

It would seem that Skoda UK were correct when they said that the battery SOC meter had been disconnected in MY16 - still makes no sense to me unless it's a case of treat the customers like mushrooms when looking at possible problems with AGM batteries. 

Ok So it looks like we have

1)early models that have a functioning SOC but not sure of the integrity of the info,

2)later models where it is in the menu but does not work presumably a quick bodge by Skoda and

3)the latest ones where it has been removed from the menu.

Bob

• Like 1

Ok So it looks like we have

1)early models that have a functioning SOC but not sure of the integrity of the info,

2)later models where it is in the menu but does not work presumably a quick bodge by Skoda and

3)the latest ones where it has been removed from the menu.

Bob

That looks about the size of it Bob.

Isnt SOC 70%-80% the normal state because there needs to be capacity available to absorb energy recovery, eg regenerative braking?

I've seen 100% on the SOC after a long battery conditioning trickle charge, but it drops to 80-90% pretty quick, as in if you open a door.

No load battery tests are pretty useless anyway. A battery that has heavy sulphation will appear to charge very quickly to 100%, but it will die as soon as you try to start a car with it.

Can someone tell me roughly how long I can leave my car standing without use before I run into issues with the battery?

The reason I ask is that I'm going to be laid up for between 6 & 12 weeks depending on whether I need to have an operation on my knee or not.

Ta.

Edited by TheWanderer