Rear lights on with DRL's

tecton

Want to be able to have the front DRL's on with rear lights. What needs to be done, can it be done using VCDS, and are UK dealers able to do?

It should be possible, it is on the Citigo if I recall, unsure if your dealership would do it mind, but there is a list of VCDS owners here - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/262215-list-of-vcds-owners-previously-known-as-vag-com/?hl=%2Bvcds+%2Bowners#entry4766318 only person I know local here who could do it is JoseDB http://www.briskoda.net/forums/user/113352-josedb/

Its illegal to have them on with your rear lights as they are at full power which is only intended for day use due to the brightness they need to dim to half power to operate at night.

Its an instant MOT failure which they are looking for on vehicles.

Under EU rules, since 2011 all new cars are required to have daytime running lights that come on automatically when the engine is started, and which turn off automatically when headlights or sidelights are lit.

Edited by DEL80Y

It should be possible to have the rear lights come on with the front DRL, although it's not possible using VCDS on PQ35/PQ46 based cars.

You'll need to find either a dealer who know what they are doing or someone with VCP or ODIS.

Confirm that. It is not illegal. Many new cars these days are leaving the factory with their rear lights always on. And you cannot do it with VCDS, but you need the dealer's equipment or VCP.

Re Post #3.

Daylight / Daytime Running lights are not part of the UK MOT.

(& Manufacturers must fit them to New Type Approved cars after Feb 2011, drivers are not required to have them enabled or even able to function, 

if they are dual use as on some cars, DRL (Bright) Side / Position Lamp dim then obviously as a sidelight they have to pass a MOT.)

As to having on Day Time (Daylight) running lights and it not being a Bright Clear Day where DRL's are just to show other road users you are in a vehicle with the Engine on,  that is when Driving or even stationary,

but maybe switch your Lights on if Visibility is poor, Front Dipped Beam & Rear lights are the way to go.

Be seen by those you are approaching and by those coming on you from behind obviously, not just relying on rear Reflectors and them having lights on.

If you do drive with DRL's in the suitable conditions, then Rear Tail Lights / Position Lights on are certainly not illegal.

Volvos have had them that way for many years, as have other cars & Light Goods Vehicles.

Edited by Offski

What I was meaning was that they have to dim to half power if used at night

I am sure f they dont dim or extinguish its a fail (I will check tomorrow  at work)

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/common-mistakes-made-by-mot-testers/

1. Daytime Running Lamps (DRLs) and their operation

DLRs are designed to make vehicles more visible during daylight hours and are now common on vehicles of testable age. DRLs themselves are not covered by the manual and are therefore not testable items.

They are fitted to the front of the vehicle only, coming on automatically when the engine is started and independently of the other lights. Often they are incorporated within the same unit as the side lights or headlamps and care is needed not to confuse the different functions. When the side or headlamps are switched on DRLs will extinguish or dim to fulfil the side light role. Also where DRLs are in close proximity to indicator lamps, the appropriate DRL may extinguish or dip when the respective indicator is operated; this is by design and not a reason for rejection.

DRL's must dim when Sidelights and Headlights go on, as in your link.

If The DRL's are on because it is Daytime / Daylight then they are doing what the Legislation Says they can & then the Rear Lights (Sidelights) 

on are causing no Issue legally, or MOT wise. Type Approval allows and some EU Neighbouring Countries require Front & Rear lights in Daytime / Daylight.

This year a MOT Tester Failed my Mk2 Fabia vRS because the Sidelights were not working.

He then went and removed the Dummy Blue Bulbs in the Headlights, changed the fuses and messed around trying to get them working.

When i got a phone call i asked what he thought the lights were down low, he said DRLS.

He had tried the Switch on in the Fuse Box but never noticed when enabled they were bright, and when Sidelight switch they were less bright.

(Still often mistaken as being Fog Lights though.)

These type are bright enough just on as Sidelights in Daylight, come night time the sidelights look ridiculous / Boy Racer Stylee.

Edited by Offski

It should be possible to have the rear lights come on with the front DRL, although it's not possible using VCDS on PQ35/PQ46 based cars.

You'll need to find either a dealer who know what they are doing or someone with VCP or ODIS.

Are Superb MKII PQ35/PQ46 based cars?

Are Superb MKII PQ35/PQ46 based cars?

All the ones I've seen are, the BCM should be something similar to this in autoscans:

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519)       Labels: 1K0-937-08x-09.clb
   Part No SW: 1K0 937 087 Q    HW: 1K0 937 087 Q
   Component: BCM PQ35  H   110 0651 

• 9 months later...
10 hours ago, tecton said:

Revisiting topic, as nights are drawing in. Anyone had this done at a dealers?

What is it exactly you are trying to achieve?

Your opening post would suggest you want your DRL's to be on with rear lights, therefore your DRL's would be on with dipped headlights too. It was this statement that prompted the talk about legislation, as having DRL's on at night could dazzle other road users.

It might have been clearer to say you want the rear lights to come on with the DRL's?

As has been mentioned this is possible using VCP or ODIS. VCDS won't do it.

Your mention of wanting this doing even more because 'the nights are drawing in' makes me think your opening post was accurate. Surely if it starts to get dark you'd turn on dipped headlights, at which point your DRL's turn off.

If I`m not misunderstanding OP, this can be achieved with vcds I believe:

Controller 09 - Central Electronics
16 - Security Access - enter 31347
10 - Adaptations
(6)-Daytime running lights-Tagfahrlicht-Dauerfahrlicht aktiviert zusaetzlich Standlicht - change to active

2 hours ago, BGB said:

If I`m not misunderstanding OP, this can be achieved with vcds I believe:

Controller 09 - Central Electronics
16 - Security Access - enter 31347
10 - Adaptations
(6)-Daytime running lights-Tagfahrlicht-Dauerfahrlicht aktiviert zusaetzlich Standlicht - change to active

Pretty sure that's only for the mk3. The mk2 is a completely different beast.

8 hours ago, langers2k said:

Pretty sure that's only for the mk3. The mk2 is a completely different beast.

Oh I´m terrible sorry, did not read well enough before posting. 

Edited by BGB

• 5 years later...