Mode eco, normal, sports or custom?

Which mode do you prefer and why? Also if using custom how have you set it up?. On my custom mode I have set all to normal accept lights are set to sports.

I myself use normal\custom 90% of the time and eco for the other 10% when I know there are some good coasting roads ahead (rural wales), I'm sure many of you know the dsg box will coast in eco mode.

Edited by POWYSWALES

@johnrowley, do you find having lights set to sports makes much difference over normal?. Not had chance to try myself as only had car a few days (300 miles) so still getting use to how everything works.

Individual for me:

Steering: Normal

Engine/Gearbox: Normal / D

Aircon: Eco

Lights: Sport

@POWYSWALES The AFS is far more noticeable and active in sport mode, so the light bends more when turning and going round corners.

@johnrowley, do you find having lights set to sports makes much difference over normal?. Not had chance to try myself as only had car a few days (300 miles) so still getting use to how everything works.

hi powyswales

yes i do, i have hba too but lowered the speed it activates at to 40km/h as i live in a very rural area and the bendy lights help on narrow lanes with sharp corners

I've tried all the modes and just settled on Sport simply because it slightly sharpened up the throttle response which is useful with the 1.6TD at low speeds with a manual gearbox, the Eco Mode was just diabolical, very soggy throttle response to put it mildly!

Normal most of the time. 

I use the custom mode for motorway cruising so is engine/dsg in eco and steering in sport. 

I put it into sport mode if I am trying to get a shift on but will put the DSG into D or M most of the time when doing this because S is just too revvy with the TDI. 

I've had mine since early December and just about to finish my second tank of fuel now.

Not finding that the modes make much difference in fuel economy when commuting and what not, however I imagine it makes a lot of difference on longer runs.

Tank 1: 350 miles, 95% Eco, 5% Sport

Tank 2: 350 miles (based on MTE), 90% Normal, 10% Sport

I don't like the sports steering when driving at slower speeds, especially when parking etc as it makes the steering a lot heavier, however when driving at higher speeds, it's a lovely feeling.

I'm hoping that the economy will improve, as I replaced a extremely poorly Fabia VRS PD130 (39/40 mpg) with the Octavia 1.4 TSI thinking it would actually save me some money. So far it's not lol.

I suppose driving style will always come into it, but I'm changing when it tells me to and I have only really put my foot down a few times.

I just stick to eco in my manual 1.4TSI. I like the gentler set off in urban conditions and joining greasy roundabouts.If I need to accelerate more I just use my size 12 foot.I do not notice any lack of performance.

Honestly I find the performance great and torquey in eco. I'd a 2l PDI Octavia last time and the new car is just as good to drive.

Interesting question, and it's made me think of another. Do the 'modes' only operate when you have pressed the VRS button, or do they continue after switching it off?

Mine certainly 'picks up where it left off', i.e. switch off in sport, it will be in sport when I start it next time.

• Like 1

I've had mine in Sport after going through the other modes for a few hundred miles. Throttle response seems (is) sharper, prefer steering in this mode and I didn't notice any real difference in MPG - that, I'm sure, is mainly dependent on the amount of lead in your right foot. I hate to admit this..........but I've also got used to (like) that fake engine note too!!

• Like 1

I genuinely use all three (eco, normal, sport) depending on what journey I'm making, and how I feel.

Sport is great fun, but sometimes find I need to knock the DSG out of S into D as it holds onto gears too long when you're not booting it. Also the actuator noise can be a bit much when you're pottering around town with the other half in tow.

Normal is great for 'normal' driving here and there, but admit the throttle response can be a bit numb.

Eco I find fantastic for my commute to work - laid back, relaxed, quiet, and saving a few mpg on my hellish journey into Birmingham.

Only had the car a few weeks, so will be trying out the different modes to / from work to see if eco does actually make any difference.

• Like 1

Got a 230 DSG and drive it normal most times averaging over 30mpg.. decided to try a few miles in sport mode and found it doing 70+ in 4th.. consumption went down to 27ish. Have tried it in eco but was not happy with response when foot went down so don't use it.. not bothered with the choosey mode..

Usually individual - that means sport for everything but aircon - this is permanently eco at 22 degrees and auto.

On my frequent trips oop t'north 500 odd mile round trip it's always eco for everything whilst on the motorway and back to individual when arrived for local journeys.

Back home most of my journeys are 10 miles or less and keeping in sport helps keep the DPF sweet.

After a long time driving in sport mode - blimey ain't the normal or eco modes sluggish?