Does my car have High beam assist ?

So my 16 plate VRS has the bendy lights but I'm not sure if it has HBA.

I've tried setting it on as per instructions posted on here but it doesn't seem to work ?

Am i right in thinking it's .... Lights on auto, full beam on and speed over 40mph ?

Cheers.

Steve.

That's right.. HBA is an option on the VRS, but all is not lost. You have all the hardware required for HBA. You just need to VCDS to enable it. Either find a member near you with it, or buy it yourself and get it enabled.

You can also enable cornering fogs, and tweak all manner of options..

So my 16 plate VRS has the bendy lights but I'm not sure if it has HBA.

I've tried setting it on as per instructions posted on here but it doesn't seem to work ?

Am i right in thinking it's .... Lights on auto, full beam on and speed over 40mph ?

Cheers.

Steve.

And after all that, if and when HBA is ON, then you'll see the symbol on the dash.

So there's no doubt about when it is on or off.

Then you can decide if you like it.

Sounds like you don't have it then. It is quite good if you find yourself on unlit roads quite a lot. Mine came with it as a factory option, and it still makes me go "ooh, cool" on those rare occasions it comes into use.

For VCDS you'll need a Micro CAN cable plus the software i.e. https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCMC.html

I can also personally vouch for OBD Eleven if you have an android phone. It can do coding and adaptations like VCDS, but only costs 55 euros as opposed to £200+ for VCDS: https://obdeleven.com/  

• Like 1

I have obdeleven and done the hba without a problem using the coding supplied in the sticky thread - dead easy I'd say along with all the other stuff it's good value.

The only issue I had was not to clear the errors when I'd finished ....,

• Like 1

Is there an adaptation available on obdeleven as opposed to the long coding? I'm tempted to buy it but hba is about the only thing I want and I want to make sure it's possible as there seem to be some people with issues enabling it?

I can vouch for OBD11 dongle to do this - MUCH cheaper than other methods.

There IS a one-touch app for coding the HBA, but it costs 100 credits..... you receive 11 credits when  you purchase the device, then you can add 5 credits per day (for free) by watching ads.  OR you can purchase credits.

In my case, I didn't want to delve into long-coding, but I also didn't want to wait the 4 months or so, watching ads to add free credits... so I did it the long-coding way using the instructions available here for coding in VCDS.

The wording is slightly different between the two platforms, but it's easy to work out what you have to do.... and took about 5 minutes for me to enable it.

Having said that - always ALWAYS do the extra steps to reduce the speed at which the HBA activates.  I made the mistake of leaving it at the factory-default setting of 57km/hr...... and of course the 50km/hr street I used to test it didn't work, until I realised I had to reduce the activate speed.

You can also mess with the light intensity at which it activates as well as I'd suggest turning OFF the "suburban recognition" setting also, if you find some suburban streets are not lit brightly enough and you'd prefer the high beam to auto-activate at a brighter ambient level.

Cost benefit. It's four times the price and I don't anticipate getting four times the value from it. I'm not decrying it's capability, I used it years ago on a seat Leon I had but for the occasional config change, plus, you also need to factor the cost of a Windows laptop (I run a Chromebook) it's just not for me.

Just so I understand, what else is vagcom capable of, on top of obd11?

Ive not heard of OBD11 but it sounds pretty good.

Can you also do things like cornering front fog lights and also double rear fog lights.

Yes, you can do virtually all VCDS adaptations and tweaks as listed in the Sticky Thread.

I've done; LED Sidelights, AC Fan/Blower speed display on auto, heated seat setting memory, LED number plate lights, LED DRL dim on indicate, Traffic Sign Recognition, Lap timer in maxidot, Refuel quantity in maxidot. Didn't really see the point of cornering fog lights with the Bi-Xenon AFS cornering anyway, and I rarely use rear fogs, so not fussed about double. 

And after all that, if and when HBA is ON, then you'll see the symbol on the dash.

So there's no doubt about when it is on or off.

Then you can decide if you like it.

What does the symbol look like ?... I think I have HBA, but when I tried it recently it didn't seem to work ?  L

Ah right cool I thought they were just for VCDS but there you go !

There are some things I've not bothered to try as it took me out my comfort zone. I do a 'dry run' first to make sure I understand what's being changed.

That's not an exhaustive list either. There are other adaptations that a floating about in various other threads as well.

What does the symbol look like ?... I think I have HBA, but when I tried it recently it didn't seem to work ?  L

When HBA is ON you'll see a lamp symbol in centre of display. When it's OFF, you won't. See pics.

BTW - it's rubbish :-)

post-68401-0-00979700-1483548234_thumb.jpegpost-68401-0-23043000-1483548252_thumb.jpeg

When HBA is ON you'll see a lamp symbol in centre of display. When it's OFF, you won't. See pics.

BTW - it's rubbish :-)

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Have to disagree it's rubbish, both me & the wife find it useful and accurate (it turns high beam on & off at almost exactly the same time we would have done if manually controlling high beam).

Like any of these driver assistance features, I guess it's all down to personal taste and preference.

Have to disagree it's rubbish, both me & the wife find it useful and accurate (it turns high beam on & off at almost exactly the same time we would have done if manually controlling high beam).

Like any of these driver assistance features, I guess it's all down to personal taste and preference.

My experience is the same. Reacts just as quick if not quicker than I would, and don't have to keep playing with the stalk each time a car approaches. It's a thumbs up from me.