KIA Stinger GT

RampantBadger

This was shown in a press conference yesterday

2018-kia-stinger-gt-officially-revealed-

360hp twin turbo V6, RWD with a LSD, Brembo brakes and one of the senior guys on the project is an ex BMW chassis designer. Colour me intrigued!

Now lets hope they do an estate version too...

Edited by RampantBadger
  • Like 2

.......and a 7 year warranty?.

I'll be honest, I'm not in a position to buy new so warranties don't really mean much to me but yes, they have confirmed it will be covered by the 7 year warranty too.

EVO's preview of it says it is geared towards comfort rather than outright performance as it is being marketed as a GT rather than a sports car but after a test drive of the prototype they call it 'promising'

I'll be honest, I'm not in a position to buy new so warranties don't really mean much to me but yes, they have confirmed it will be covered by the 7 year warranty too.

EVO's preview of it says it is geared towards comfort rather than outright performance as it is being marketed as a GT rather than a sports car but after a test drive of the prototype they call it 'promising'

A 7 Year Warranty for someone buying second hand is even more of a benefit - buy at 3 Years after much of the depreciation has happened and still have a longer Warranty than a brand new Skoda! Sounds ideal.

• Like 2

A 7 Year Warranty for someone buying second hand is even more of a benefit - buy at 3 Years after much of the depreciation has happened and still have a longer Warranty than a brand new Skoda! Sounds ideal.

That makes a lot of sense!

Technically that's quite low a power output for a 3.3L especially with a twin-turbo on, we are in 2017 already. Also no matter KIA's improvement it's still a lot of money for any South Korean car in my eyes (especially if you've driven one in a not too distant past). I struggle to see how it can make a case against the germans with that estimated price tag. This class is also about premium status which KIA still lacks imo. Has a fancy name though...

Edited by newbie69

Carwow reckon £30k for the 2.0 and £43k for the V6, but what the prices actually will be is anyone's guess right now. They're also state four wheel drive will be an option.

• Like 1

Technically that's quite low a power output for a 3.3L especially with a twin-turbo on, we are in 2017 already. Also no matter KIA's improvement it's still a lot of money for any South Korean car in my eyes (especially if you've driven one in a not too distant past). I struggle to see how it can make a case against the germans with that estimated price tag. This class is also about premium status which KIA still lacks imo. Has a fancy name though...

Its more power from a similar capacity than the BMW 440i Gran Coupe or the Audi S5 which it is squarely aimed at. The price that is being thrown around for the top of the range version is £43k which is the same as the BMW and £4k cheaper than the Audi, however, being a KIA it will come loaded with toys from the factory, to get the same spec in the others you would probably have to spend the thick end of £10k in extras...

Evo Preview: http://www.evo.co.uk/kia/18685/kia-stinger-full-story-on-kias-365bhp-grand-tourer

Edited by RampantBadger

Its more power from a similar capacity than the BMW 440i Gran Coupe or the Audi S5 which it is squarely aimed at. The price that is being thrown around for the top of the range version is £43k which is the same as the BMW and £4k cheaper than the Audi, however, being a KIA it will come loaded with toys from the factory, to get the same spec in the others you would probably have to spend the thick end of £10k in extras...

Evo Preview: http://www.evo.co.uk/kia/18685/kia-stinger-full-story-on-kias-365bhp-grand-tourer

Buy at 4yr old I'd say when most of the depreciation has happened. Crazy to spend BMW money on a Kia.

• Like 1

Buy at 4yr old I'd say when most of the depreciation has happened. Crazy to spend BMW money on a Kia.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but someone is going to have to buy them new so we can get 2nd hand bargains! :D

• Like 1

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but someone is going to have to buy them new so we can get 2nd hand bargains! :D

probably most will lease, we can then pick them up once they have been hammered both physically and financially lol

• Like 1

Carwow reckon £30k for the 2.0 and £43k for the V6, but what the prices actually will be is anyone's guess right now. They're also state four wheel drive will be an option.

Would anyone really be up for paying those prices for something with a Kia badge. Also, does a 7- year warranty mean a lot to the corporate crowd on a 3 year cycle?

You're forgetting the turbo part which makes all the difference. Both the 440i and the S5 have a single (twin-scroll) turbo as opposed to the Stinger's twins and 10% less cubic capacity (3.0L). The M3/4 that do have twin turbos like the Stinger make 445bhp in competition package, again from a 10% smaller engine. Let alone the Nissan GT-R that also has twin turbos and makes 565 bhp from a 3.8L. And all those cars are at least 4 years old. Anything with twin turbos and over 3.0L today should easily hit the 450bhp mark, that's why I said the output is rather unimpressive considering the powerplant.

Have to agree on the extras, it can't possibly match the silly BMW/Audi options prices but I find it very hard to believe that buyers of this particular type of cars will choose a couple of extras over badge status...

Edited by newbie69

I love this. Engineered by an Ex M division BMW boss too. My local dealer is saying a September launch in the UK and is being told we will be getting the 3.3 litre in the UK.

Agreed - and designed by Peter Shreyer as well - the ex-Audi man!

Have to agree on the extras, it can't possibly match the silly BMW/Audi options prices but I find it very hard to believe that buyers of this particular type of cars will choose a couple of extras over badge status...

Plus the dealer network will really need to step up to sell a lot of cars at that price.

BMW/Audi etc dealers have a certain level of service (mostly useless stuff like coffee bars and pastries but people come to expect it) that Kia and other cheaper cars are way out of line with.

For a start the Kia dealers round here that aren't Arnold Clark are pretty much the same tactics anyway - wouldn't give us a test drive of a rio unless we were looking to buy that day etc etc.

Quite a looker although I'd rather buy a cheap car from an expensive range than an expensive car from a cheap range after living with the build quality of the X3 (20d) and the Mk3 Octavia vRS

Edited by gullyg

You're forgetting the turbo part which makes all the difference. Both the 440i and the S5 have a single (twin-scroll) turbo as opposed to the Stinger's twins and 10% less cubic capacity (3.0L). The M3/4 that do have twin turbos like the Stinger make 445bhp in competition package, again from a 10% smaller engine. Let alone the Nissan GT-R that also has twin turbos and makes 565 bhp from a 3.8L. And all those cars are at least 4 years old. Anything with twin turbos and over 3.0L today should easily hit the 450bhp mark, that's why I said the output is rather unimpressive considering the powerplant.

The number of turbos means nothing, one big turbo will flow more air than 2 small ones, big power Supras often ditch the twin turbo setup for a big single.

I think you are missing the point with this car a little, it's not a sports car, it's a GT and not aimed at the M4 / GT-R market. It has more power than the other cars in the class, will make lots of lazy torque and will probably give half reasonable fuel consumption (hence not having a stratospheric power output). KIA see this as their 'halo' car, if it is successful and if there is demand for a hotter version then I wouldn't be surprised to see a pared down, high power, 4wd variant in the future. That is a couple of big ifs though...

Worth remembering that South Korean KIA are built in Continental Europe by Europeans and others.

Also that ARNOLD CLARK will lease or sell you a KIA or a BMW.  But the sign on the building with BMW Salespeople will be HARRY FAIRBAIRN BMW.

Still SIR Arnolds motor group though.