Would you recommend a Yeti?

gman88667733

Hi, I currently drive a VW UP!, it was my first car and I really enjoy the VW quality. But I think it is time to move on, I've had the car for nearly 2 years now and I want something with a bit more space (especially the boot!) a bit more room for passengers and a bit more 'umph' from the engine. I live in a rural area so do a lot of driving on country lanes and my UP does struggle a lot! I am looking to part exchange my UP and spend hopefully around £7k exta to get a decently spec'd and somewhat low mileage Yeti (4x4 would be a bonus). Is this realistic? Is there anything to look out for? Has anyone had any obvious reliability issues? Most importantly, would you recommend the Yeti to a young driver such as myself?

Thank you!

Edited by gman88667733

I doubt you'll find many here who wouldn't recommend the Yeti!  There have been a few reliability problems with certain models, to be fair, and some rust problems, but these have been by no means common, and they do seem to be restricted to pre-facelift vehicles (facelift vehicles started to be registered in late 2013).

I'd suggest you look primarily at facelift versions - by that point I think they'd ironed out any earlier teething problems, as is usually the case.

I've had my Outdoor Elegance 1.2 TSI since early 2014 and it's been absolutely faultless.  Only 2WD, and whilst 4WD would have been nice, the price difference didn't make it remotely worthwhile.  Nice car to drive - probably the best we've had.  Boot's a bit small with the full size spare (essential in my view) but the seating's very versatile.  The wife absolutely loves it - her idea to buy it actually, and I went along with it for the driving position, which she loves.

Build quality?  Every bit as good as VW - possibly better in fact.  We moved away from VW in fact because of falling quality standards.

Young driver?  Don't see a problem - why would there be?

Edited by docc
Addition

Assuming you're not grey, first job, visit chemists for some hair colour!!  ; - D)

On my second, and one of the grey brigade, not had more than 3 probs, I highly recommend 'em!!

I can't spend a fortune on it, so how much roughly is a facelift version with less than 50k miles? My UP is probably worth about £3k in a part exchange, realistically. So I don't want to be paying more than £7k-8k on top of that really.

Any ideas? Thanks

There are a host of facelift models for sale either through Autotrader or through Skoda dealers for about £10 - £11K. if you buy through a Skoda dealer you will get a guarantee. Unless you definitely need 4 wheel drive I would go for a 2 wheel drive version - better MPG and less to go wrong. Similarly unless you really want a diesel I would go with the petrol versions - no VW 'cheat' problems to deal with and it looks like diesels are going to be caned in the near future because of NOx  emissions. The Yeti is a car driven by all ages so no worries there. If you are a young driver the 1.2 Tsi is in a low insurance group so cheaper to insure than many and you should get about 40+ MPG - depending on how you drive of course!

Incidentally if you thinking about 4 wheel drive because you are worried about winter snows etc. then you would be better off investing in a set of winter tyres on steel rims. A 2 wheel drive on winter tyres is a better bet than 4 wheel drive on summer tyres. 

• Like 1

My Yeti still makes me smile when I drive it, I have done a couple of trips in and around Wales,

dashboard shows 38.9mpg. I carried 6 dining chairs in the back with room to spare,:biggrin:

YES! :) 

I have had many many new cars and this is the only one I have wanted to keep longer than 2 years. I am upto 3.5 years and looking to buy it at the end of the lease. 

Before she passed away, my wife had a Citigo which my daughter now runs. My daughter absolutely loves it (as did my wife) especially the fact that it does twice the mpg that I've ever had from my Yetis. I used to like driving it as well and could never get over what a willing little engine it had.I suppose you're not interested in effectively another Up though.

For the mileage that I do, mpg isn't worth considering and I wouldn't give upt the comfort and driving position in my Yeti for anything (well anything that I can affor anyway :) ).

I'm on my third Yeti. I started with a 2l 110bhp diesel a 2wd SE followd that  with a  diesel 140bhp DSG and as my driving requirements have changed I now drive a 110bhp 1.2 tsi DSG petrol 2wd. Each was excellent and suited my driving at each stage.

They have all fitted into the "best car I've ever had" group.

Fred

7 minutes ago, g6zru said:

I'm on my third Yeti. I started with a 2l 110bhp diesel a 2wd SE followd that  with a  diesel 140bhp DSG and as my driving requirements have changed I now drive a 110bhp 1.2 tsi DSG petrol 2wd. Each was excellent and suited my driving at each stage.

They have all fitted into the "best car I've ever had" group.

Fred

I bought my first Yeti in 2012 and was planning to keep it for 6+ years. However, I have now ordered a new 1.2 DSG SE L because I so like the current model Yeti, should get delivery by end March.

The new Mk2 model is due Jan 2018 and will inevitably be bigger and I don't want bigger!

This is the first time in 50 years motoring that I have ever bought the same model twice so it tells how much I like it.

• Like 1

As Expatman above. First time in over 40 years of car ownership that I have bought the same make or model. Daughter now runs my first yeti. No major probs in 4 years, but as with any make, there is no guarantee for ALL cars to be trouble free. They are great all rounders, urban, rural, motorway or off-road they cope admirably!

My current Yeti is the first time I have ever had the same model of car twice in a row in 40 years of driving.

Just ordered a new one for July delivery.......

Ideal for me.

High up driving position, easy to get in and out of.

Wife likes this as well. Shape of boot and higher position means putting shopping in and out is much easier (A real pain in the back with my wifes previous fabia estate reaching in to the boot)

Use it for work and the rear door makes an excellent umbrella whilst doning protective clothing.

Turns into a van as required when moving children around at university etc!

Roofbars for the bike rack

Ground clearance is great forgoing along access tracks etc at work

Very maneuverable in tight areas

HID lights transform night driving

Cruise control is nearly essential, particularly with all the average speed limits appearing.

Cons, only the wheel repair kit, never used it as the puncture I had in each car destroyed the tyre. Fortunately in both instances it was during working hours and I was able to get the wheel taken to Kwik Fit for a new tyre. Out of hours I would have been stranded or had to be relayed home; new car is coming with spare wheel which was not allowed on my current greenline.

Never had a 4x4 or dsg before so am trying this in the next car as no longer constrained by company car rules, emissions etc. This Yeti will be my own car and not the lease company for work.

You really need to drive one to see if they suit your requirements.

They are good cars, but the boot isn’t huge with the rear seats up, this may not be an issue for you.

I find the ride quite crashy for a softroader, but thats the compromise for getting a tall car that handles like a Golf I suppose.

If you get one with Xenons then they will not disappoint, they are the best Xenons I have seen on any car (had several with factory Xenons)

Compared to your UP! the fuel economy will be dire too, but that is to be expected from a car twice the size and has the aerodynamics of a brick :blush

• Like 1

Hi as has been said they are great cars 

I've had ours for 2 years and had a superb before that 

but as I've opted out of company car scheme I'm getting something bigger, my dad is buying ours which is a black edition 2.0d 140 bhp DSG and has been fab for towing and launching our boat 

but as we have a bigger boat which the yeti pulls fine need more umph and as now have a decent car allowance we've ordered a disco sport plus I'm racking miles up at the rate of nearly a thousand a week and only on a 9kpa pcp lol 

I love the Skoda brand and the dealers are fab we still have Citigo, VW golf GTD DSG and a seat Ibiza in the family so not abandoning the VW family 

hope you find what your looking for 

Andy  

10 hours ago, Kenny.j said:

How do those with the 1.2TSI DSG rate it. I drive one at the weekend and I loved it.  How do you find your MPG?

The combination of 1.2 & DSG is generally reckoned to be a perfect marriage. I have averaged 42.2 MPG over 50,000 miles and have just ordered a new 1.2 DSG SE L Drive. The 7 speed box works ideally with the engine and I enjoy driving it as much now as when it was new 5 years ago.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kenny.j said:

How do those with the 1.2TSI DSG rate it. I drive one at the weekend and I loved it.  How do you find your MPG?

Only just got our 1.2 DSG SE L Drive and absolutely love it. Very smooth and refined and with good pick up if you need it. Takes a while to adjust to driving a DSG and the Start/Stop.

MPG in the last 250 miles or so is in the low 30's. Which at first was a bit of a shock compared to our previous diesel cars. But all this mileage was mainly short town trips with a brand new engine, 400 miles total, so probably to be expected. On an airport run it did show low 40's and that was three up with luggage. Also no DPF issues to worry about which was always a concern given our driving patterns.

You need to accept that a vehicle the size and shape of the Yeti married to a small engine DSG is never going to break any MPG records - at leas not in the direction you want! - but for driving please its by far the best car we've had. And I am happy to take the hit before the Yeti morphs into another shapeless Euro SUV.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys,  I realise that MPG is never going to be great but didn't want it to be a shock either.  If I'm doing this I want to do it with my eyes wide open - no surprises.  I'm really glad you both like yours, I was very impressed with the combination of 1.2TSI & DSG. I'm sure there will be a bit of adaptation before being able to get the best from it, during the test drive I found it getting better and better the more I drove it.  I have to admit if felt faster driving it that in looks on paper, I never once thought it was lacking any oomph!

descisions decisions :sweat::sweat:

Edited by Kenny.j