vrs tyres

Our  Vrs estate is due some new tyres. It came with P zero's. Terrible traction. Doesn't grip at all in the wet. Never again.

We got had to change the rears, after 1 week due to a nail. Got Nexen as they had damage cover with them. They are fine, but as on the rear, its hard to tell.

Looking at Michelin Pilot Sport 4, but at £160 from Camskill, they arnt cheap (225/35/19)

Good Year f1 at £116, so not bad.

What is your experience with tyres. Running 19's so not as popular.

26 minutes ago, stu83 said:

Had Goodyear Assymetric 2s and 3s on my last few cars - always been fantastic tyres.

Anyone tried to Vredestein Ultrac Vorti / R ? Had the Ultrac Sessantas on my MK1 LCR all round and they were incredible.

I have the Ultac Vorti's on my vRS just now. Other than the OEM Continetals that's all I've ever fitted. Wear better and grip far better than the Continentals, for sure.  I also had them on my previous Focus ST and was a big fan then as well. 

You always pay more for Michelin - the extra goes towards Mr Ecclestone's cosmetic surgery budget (or used to anyway). 

The original Bridgestone Potenza on mine seem to grip really well but offer no alloy rim protection at all. Going to get Conti SportContact 5 next. 

Goodyear assymetric 3 now from efficientgrips

think the efficientgrips were quieter but the assymetrics grippier especially in the wet 

used hankook in the past but not such a good value tyre as it was in the past 

F1 Asymmetric 3 are good value vs performance. I fitted these to my FL MK2 VRS and then traded it in a month later, doh! They did seem good though despite being just about scrubbed in.

Shame the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is so much more in 19", at Blackcircles for the 18" it was only about £15 per tyre more than the F1 A3.

2 hours ago, buck890 said:

Was thinking of these for when mine are due, price seems fair, any one used them?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JSKPTC2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=14JZYN5MPHCSY&coliid=IVDY62QT8YR3F

Had those on a e class  Merc and a octy estate 150, - seemed to last forever very good in the wet. They used to be much better value than they are now 

3 hours ago, TDIum said:

You always pay more for Michelin - the extra goes towards Mr Ecclestone's cosmetic surgery budget (or used to anyway). 

The original Bridgestone Potenza on mine seem to grip really well but offer no alloy rim protection at all. Going to get Conti SportContact 5 next. 

That's a point. Which ones have good protection

4 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Just a thought - 235/35/19's are more common and will fit fine. Could be cheaper...

How far would you reckon it's safe to deviate from factory fit sizes?

If it's 225/35/19 out of the showroom, 245/35/19?  Or is that pushing it?

This guy reckons he has 245/40/19's... :blink:

He does have a lower offset on those wheels though, which may help.

That's likely to cause speedo error, check willtheyfit.com

225 to 235 section shouldn't be a big difference and I know some on here run them already.

I'm guessing 245 would need a 30 profile to maintain the correct circumference, but I don't know re clearance of arches with this width on standard wheels. Aftermarket wheels with different offsets may work, or spacers.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyres/Kumho/Ecsta-Le-Sport-KU39/225-35-ZR19-88Y-XL/R-231698

I always used Kumho's on my old Mini they were by far the best tyre for wet grip very little wheelspin.

they are usually a bargain offering rim protection to boot (not much of it though)

Edited by Droidy

2 hours ago, stu83 said:

Had Hankooks before ... Very good tyres but found that wet grip disappeared completely when they were about 1/2 - 3/4 worn. Which didn't take all that long.

not much consensus there then ....

Yep vredestein ultrac vorti on mine.. 235-35-19. Absolutely stonking tyre and wears really well. Either those or I'm just about to put some nokian zline on the wife's Fabia vrs so I'll let you know how they go.. the reviews are ace and a lot cheaper. Have always had nokian winters and been really impressed but this'll be a first with nokian summers 

9 hours ago, dredge3 said:

Our  Vrs estate is due some new tyres. It came with P zero's. Terrible traction. Doesn't grip at all in the wet. Never again.

We got had to change the rears, after 1 week due to a nail. Got Nexen as they had damage cover with them. They are fine, but as on the rear, its hard to tell.

Looking at Michelin Pilot Sport 4, but at £160 from Camskill, they arnt cheap (225/35/19)

Good Year f1 at £116, so not bad.

What is your experience with tyres. Running 19's so not as popular.

I too am not a fan of the OEM Pirellis I have on mine - hard, hard, hard, noisy, dubious traction under acceleration and even more so in the wet. Lateral grip is great, but those fronts spin and spin...

That said, if you are really hard on them for a while and warm them up, they do get a bit better!

From all the research I have done and as per others on this thread, I am pretty much decided on the Goodyear F1 AS2 or AS3 as the best suited tyre for my next set... if they were bit cheaper then the Michellin

PS2

I just upgraded to new wheels (VMR 19x8.5") with Michelin PSS 245/35/19 tyres... it just fits but man the car loves it! It feels so much more planted and stable around corners. The PSS's just stick and there is no more wheelspin... and ive even got a JB4! Its only now that I realise what a crap tyre the Pirelli P Zero's are... I heard that the OEM P Zero's are different that what you would get if you bought them from a tyre shop? Is this right?

• Like 1

For me it boils down to three tyres in no particular order

Michelin Pilot Sport 4        (if you are happy to pay the premium, even though they seem to be a really good tyre)

Continental Sport Contact 5       (seem to be good for wet braking and handling feel but soon to be replaced)

Goodyear Asymmetric 3          (some say not as good as the Asymmetric 2 but still a good tyre)

Still not sure which way I will go when I finally get rid of the Dunlops it came with, just thankful I'm still on the ts860's at the moment