Crazy Fuel Consumption 1.6TDi Elegance 13plate

11years old car had DPF too just to mention.

I went to the pump to fill out the tank to the full,though i filled it yesterday and that point of time it gave me 440 miles for the RANGE. I want to keep a record of miles that this full tank will give me, that's why i topped it up to the full now and it gave me RANGE 415 miles. anyway, I have driven 2.9 miles to come back home and saw the range changes to 410 miles.

Another thing is when i was braking and stopping in the traffic on my way home i was hearing the sound of fuel movement in the tank. are we meant to hear the sound of the fuel. i have never heard fuel movement in my previous cars. its worth to mention here that fuel tank has been replaced before handing over the car to me as the neck was damaged. it has been checked and test driven as well.

Edited by automass
  • Like 1

Are we meant to listen rolling sound of the fuel from fuel tank. can anyone please tell me as i mention in my above post that tank is full and i can listen rolling noise of the fuel from the tank underneath of the car. Is it normal or just something is not correct?

Just checked my car since refuelling 422 miles and 155 miles left before refuelling, this consists on a regular commute of 20 miles  10% town 40 % duel carriageway 45% B roads 5% motorway. Also stuck in traffic hold ups.
Also the usual running here and there round town.
Maxidot info
Since refuelling 63.9
Long term 63.5.
Since start 47.3  that was 1 mile each way to my Daughters house.

You spoke about 50 litres, but there is 'up the pipe' and the Expansion system that with some cars you can 'Vent', 

so as to a tank being full, or need to be sure that one is if you are brimming.

(If your car can be 'Vented' do not do it if not away to use up the fuel, ie a gallon or so before parking up.)

37 minutes ago, automass said:

Are we meant to listen rolling sound of the fuel from fuel tank. can anyone please tell me as i mention in my above post that tank is full and i can listen rolling noise of the fuel from the tank underneath of the car. Is it normal or just something is not correct?

There have been several threads discussing hearing fuel sounds with a full or nearly full tank on here, it seems not unusual amongst Octavia owners so I guess that makes it "normal".

2 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

There have been several threads discussing hearing fuel sounds with a full or nearly full tank on here, it seems not unusual amongst Octavia owners so I guess that makes it "normal".

Is it!!! it really scared me..thought may be tank will fall off. can you give me the link of the thread regarding this please..

could someone else shed some light regarding this rumbling noise of fuel please?

2015 Octavia.

!8,500 miles in our 1.6 tdi and the long term average is 53.6 mpg. Mix of town and country/motorway driving. On a run out of town with little traffic we can get an average of 65 +.

Something is wrong with your car.

• Like 1

Best to check actual consumption when you refill your tank but from many past posts about the 1.6 TD Octavia, low 50's is about the average mpg. You're only going to get better than that if you are doing longer runs at fairly constant speed, most of my driving to work is literally only ten minutes so most of the time the car is only warmed up when I've arrived, which isn't great driving for a diesel. But did a bit of motorway driving this week and sitting at 70mph on the M8 and M80 it was showing 58 to 60mpg most of the time, drop that to 60mph and you should be comfortably over 60mpg, which is rather less than Skoda promises I know, but this is easily achievable.

Ignore the instant feedback on the screen it will only drive you mad, as it is constantly changing up and down all the time! Worst car that I had for this kind of fuel reading was a Peugeot 406 2litre TD, that screen reading quickly became very annoying at times and sometimes it was reading 999.9 mpg, which sadly didn't last for too long but never had a car like that for fuel economy, on one trip around the Highlands (at no great speed!) I got just short of 1000 miles out of a tank of fuel once, which was rather remarkable, not sure how the Octavia tank is size wise compared to the 406 but have to think that it is much smaller as most of the time it will only do about half of that on a tank or even less than that.

Edited by AllanDJ

I have had 2 Mk2 1.6cr Octavias, 1 manual and one DSG and I currently have a Mk3 1.6cr DSG. The DSG is probably about 2 mpg worse than the manual, but all of them average mid 50's MPG and that is usually loaded with equipment. Without all of the equipment on board high 50's into the 60's MPG can be achieved.

Has the original poster taken into account the " range " reading is relevant to the previous average mpg is taken into account, therefore if the previous trips have been a combination of short journeys with low mpg the " range " reading with be low, as implied in other replies these diesels require a decent journey to warm the engine oil and water to enable ideal maximum mileage per gallon, with this achieved I think you will find the " range " mileage with be more in line with your expected 50+ mpg

( from cold in the cold mornings we have a present, my 1.9tdi octavia often shows 11- 28 mpg until the car warms up say 7 miles or so yet by the time I reach work 13 miles average speed 35 mph, overall journey mpg can read between 52-58 mpg, obviously if all my journeys were of less than 5 miles my average mpg could be as low as 25 therefore it follows my " range " will be adjusted accordingly)

• Like 1

Could anyone tell me how can I set the trip computer..how can I erage all data like average mpg and so from previous driver..in ny other car I could just press and hold related button to bring it zero for current trip and also previous trip which gathered from every day trip. ..here I can see only one button under the cluster which can be pressed to reset trip meter to zero.  Where can i see monthly trip info and average mpg for that?

I think there is contradiction from previous keeper..so better set everything new to keep the new record. 

I've had my 1.6tdi SE Business for a week now and I'm averaging 52mpg with a mix of town and motorway driving. It's a private hire car so lots of start stop daily driving. I reset the trip computer info using my multi function steering wheel, details are in the car manual.

23 hours ago, automass said:

Three of them Michelin and one Hankook. tyre pressures seem al right. by the way, where is tyre pressure monitoring option in the menu? I will give that a go to see how many miles can it go with full tank to get actual mpg, but definitely what in the trip computer showing is devastating. What I am getting can be acceptable in a two litre petrol car...but definitely not in a diesel car.

Yup - getting 46mpg out of my petrol

By any chance has your car had the DPF removed - If it has been re-mapped incorrectly it could be squirting diesel down the exhaust to regen a DPF that isn't there?

Is oil level rising on the dipstick?

Edited by bigjohn

I have given the car a go on motorway. M11, M25 total 68 miles round trip (62miles out of 68miles were motorway) without stopping anywhere. Driving mode was Normal with combination of 50mph 20miles,70mph most of the time ,80mph just to overtake and i have managed to pull the average just only 51mpg on the Cluster Display and Infotainment Display 'Since Start was only 53.2mpg'. 

On motorway it says 85.6mpg, so at least people can expect minimum of at 65mpg. RANGE increases though as someone said  and at night there were no traffic only very light rain. so it was smooth drives. I was not happy with the performance as well of the car. My previous Citroen C4 1.6HDi ( 11years old, 110bhp acceleration 11.2sec where as this one 104bhp and acceleration 10.8sec). just little bit of gas and car used to go like rocket. 

16 hours ago, automass said:

Is it!!! it really scared me..thought may be tank will fall off. can you give me the link of the thread regarding this please..

could someone else shed some light regarding this rumbling noise of fuel please?

See here https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/408170-fuel-tank-splash/

I would wait till the car is upto full operating temperature where the oil is up to 85 plus, the reason is the ecu will be runing a diffrrent engine MAP. Ie the engine burns alot more fuel when warming up to meet euro emmissions limits. Short journeys coupled with cold weather it can take ages to get the engine upto temprature, this may explain the below average mpg figures. 

The engine's aren't particularly good anyway and i woyld be very supprised if you got anywhere near 75mpg, unless driving in a strait line.

Is it!!! it really scared me..thought may be tank will fall off. 

It's a Skoda, dude, not your old Citroen.

(Although I'm not guaranteeing nothing will fall off...!)

Could someone else shed some light regarding this rumbling noise of fuel please?

Rumbling? Did you 'put a tiger in your tank'?

Now, being serious for a minute, (it's a struggle)...

FILL the car to the max, one click of the pump;

DRIVE the car normally, IGNORING the MPG shown on the computer, UNTIL the fuel light comes on, don't fill up after using just part of a tankful;

FILL the car to the max - again, one click of the pump;

CALCULATE your actual MPG.

Then report back.

Good luck. :)

Edited by pist0nbr0ke
Spelling
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wino said:

Just buy another Citroën. 

Guys, don't get me wrong. I am trying to figure out if there is any wrong with the car as already dealer had to replace the fuel tank before buying it. I am getting very bad fuel consumption which already many of our forum friends admitted here. to make people better understand i compare this car to the one I had before. Hope you understand.