Is there room for a dog in the hatchback?

Hello everyone

I'm in the market for a used MkIII octavia (vRS). I'm making this purchase partly as we wish to start a family and (hopefully) it will be our family bus as well as my workhorse and plaything. I much prefer the look of the hatchback.

A quick question for those of you who have a hatchback; is there room in the boot for a dog? [We don't yet own a dog but this is not out of the question in the future. We wouldn't go giant dog e.g. great dane, but may go as big as a smaller labrador (say 30Kg)] or will I find myself faced with the prospect of having to trade in my beloved vRS if I plump for the hatch?

Many thanks in advance,

If you intend to have kids & a dog, then get the estate version of vRS, otherwise you will find that mud, dirt & grit will get in the seats and they get mucky and then you add the kids which by nature are messy things it's a upholstery nightmare.

Get the estate, dog goes in the back with a bootliner under a rug or such like and any mud, dirt & grit goes in the boot and on the bootliner with the dog and the seats will stay relatively clean until the kids arrive. Also the estate has so much useful space, I wish I'd had the estate, but couldn't afford to do it, because of the amount of load lugging I've found myself doing and we have a flat coated retriever who I'd like to take out, but won't allow in the car as she's a mud, water and dirt magnet.

I bought the hatchback as dealer didn't have any Octavia estates in stock and I needed a new set of wheels due to impending death of what I was driving; plus I fell in love with it first drive.

Hatchback boot is big, wouldnt see any issue with a labrador getting in the back other than the practicalities which the Wanderer stated; mucky dog plus upholstery?  I wouldn't want to be the one cleaning that out unless you want to get the seat covers etc.

I really enjoy the octavia hatchback and haven't encountered any limitations due to its size and carrying capacity; with all that in mind though I do cast a covetous gaze when I see the estate version, to me it looks better as an estate but that's personal taste plus you have a little more space with the estate.

Edited by BNT1985

Thanks guys; maybe an estate it'll be. Depends on what I can find though; with the recent anti diesel fervour I'm finding TSI vRSs in my price range difficult to find. On a slight tangent TheWanderer, what mpg do you get from your TSI vRS?

10 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

It varies quite a bit.

Around town ~28-30, on a good long run to the West Country on the 303, anywhere between 40-45, best I've seen is 48 mpg over 165 miles, but I used mostly motorways and quieter, but fast back roads across from Wellington to Watchet.

I haven't done many miles since December as I've been in & out of hospital due to significant knee ligament issues.

I have the estate and would recommend not using the variable floor . I have a big Labrador and often have him and his similarly large friend in the back. I use the lower floor and a tuffies bed in the back and the extra headroom they get prevents the back window getting covered in wet nose marks 

The Mk3 hatch has more than enough space for a decent-sized dog.  Our greyhound couldn't believe her eyes when I traded up from a Golf!.  Make sure to get the proper Skoda dog guard (not one of those 'universal fitments') - well made and fits a treat.

23 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I was thinking this thread title was for a good saturday night out

How wrong could one be.

Sorry,........Hangs head in shame

I was with you, most disappointed when I read the 1st post

Edited by themanwithnoaim
  • Like 2

The boot floor on a hatch is the same dimensions as a 2010 Passat.  Estate.

Mahoosive. I reckon you'd get three labs in. And I had one.

I certainly wouldn't suggest putting a dog on a boot with anything else that is not strapped down securely or has a solid divider, it's not safe.

Edited by Mallettsmallett

I have a hatch and a lab, my boot swallows him up. Some days I do wish I has an estate as I remove the parcel shelve when I take him out in my car but I preferred the look of the hatch as well.

He mostly goes out in my wife car (qashqui) and that's a smaller boot.

Estate all the way. Weimaraners love it. Plenty of room to spread out (when they decide to lay down and not look out the windows.!) Just put a foam pad down, available from most upholsterers, abut 2 inches thick to make life even more plush for 'em.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LHVRS said:

I have a hatch and a lab, my boot swallows him up. Some days I do wish I has an estate as I remove the parcel shelve when I take him out in my car but I preferred the look of the hatch as well.

He mostly goes out in my wife car (qashqui) and that's a smaller boot.

Do you get the lab in the boot without having to put the seats down mate?

On 21 March 2017 at 20:56, Auric Goldfinger said:

I was thinking this thread title was for a good saturday night out

How wrong could one be.

Sorry,........Hangs head in shame

I was with you, most disappointed when I read the 1st post

Edited 15 hours ago by themanwithnoaim

Having re-read my post I get the joke too. Thanks for pointing it out guys, was in hysterics for about half an hour

On 23/03/2017 at 11:47, CestrianGuy said:

Do you get the lab in the boot without having to put the seats down mate?

Yes easily, with bags of room to spare, you could get 3 labs in my boot, you could probably get 3 of me in my boot :D

Volume in boot for the Hatchback is 590L, and 1580L with the seats down.

In Estate the volume is 610L and 1740L

So if you want to use your backseat the difference is only 20L

21 hours ago, norsko said:

Volume in boot for the Hatchback is 590L, and 1580L with the seats down.

In Estate the volume is 610L and 1740L

So if you want to use your backseat the difference is only 20L

It's not really volume that matters, its the overall shape and dimensions of the boot that make the difference (age old argument).

I would struggle to get our pram in a hatchback because of its size and shape but it fits perfectly in my estate. 

I am bias though as I have always preferred estates over hatchbacks.