Oil Temp Numbers

Driving to work this morning and i noticed that my oil temp increased by 12 degrees (72 to 84) and then reduced by 10 within 5 or 6 seconds. I pulled over and checked the oil level and coolant level, all were fine.

Then i noticed that the oil temp kept flicking around by 2 or 3 degrees, i have never noticed this happen before and my dash is always set to oil temp.

Is this anything to worry about or should i just monitor the situation?

Thanks

Edited by Banjaminion

4 hours ago, Banjaminion said:

Is this anything to worry about or should i just monitor the situation?

Thanks

No.

A lump in your testicle is something to worry about.

Your wife (if you have one) telling you she's found a lump in her breast is something to worry about.

A Mickey Mouse display giving you "a reading" of your car's oil temperature is NOT something to worry about.

Sorry if this post triggers you, I'm sure the mods will remove it if it's inappropriate.

Edited by SkodaVRS1963
  • Like 3

The OP just asked about the Indicated Oil temp going from 72*oC up to 84*oC then back down by 10*oC in 5-6 seconds then a flicker of a couple of degree

and should he be concerned.

No question about how hot the oil getting to was OK,  but saying how hot his oil went to would be interesting because it sounds like not that long a trip if that was all a TDI got to as an indicated temp.

With a SEAT 2.0 TDI 150ps SCR / DSG after 6,000 miles from new my oil sits pretty much at 105*oC after about the 20 miles from a cold start it takes to get to that.

(90*oC Indicated Coolant Temps are because the Coolant System acts first to get the Engine Oil up to Efficient Operating Temps, then is the Coolant to get the Oil 

at an efficient Operating Temp.)

Petrol Engines Efficient Operating temp might be more in the 90-100*oC range and Dirty Diesels nearer the 100*oC, 

but then there are all kinds of Diesel Engines around and VW Group have variations.

The oil is cooled by the the water in a heat exchanger. So when the water reaches the operating temp a termostat opens and the water will be cooled down in the radiator. This colder water hits the heat exchanger and the oil temp drops for a short time. Absolute normal and just telling you that your cooling system works as it should. (I think)

• Like 2

Oil temps also vary with engine load, this includes road gradient. On my 1.4TSi cruising at 70 MPH on the motorway with cruise control on, the oil temp is typically 89c but it varies slightly when you start climbing a gradient, usually goes up to 95c. 

You will also notice slightly lower oil temps after an oil and filter change. Wild variations would indicate a faulty oil temp sensor, or oil flow problem (clogged oil filter or faulty oil pump.)

I've noticed this behaviour whilst the engine and oil is warming up. The temperature could be indicating 80C whilst cruising, then when I go round a roundabout it can change very quickly by up to 10C. I don't remember if it then stays like that.

I put it down to the sensor being located in an area of poorer oil flow and the cornering is helping mix up the oil??

On 4/10/2017 at 21:53, TTodorov said:

What is the temperature where we can consider the operational state is reached?

Like we say for coolant approximate 90 degrees..

Mine seems to always be about 101-110C.

• Like 1

Not to be pedantic but obviously it only runs at that 'All the time' once you are up to those temps, 

ie travelled far enough and it reached an indicated 50*oC then 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 etc.

So how many miles need covered on a winter day around freezing before you have an indicated 105-107*oC with a 2.0TSI vRS?

• Like 1

I reckon around 5 to 10 miles.  I've never paid much attention when it's warming up bit check it at various points of a journey be it after a fast run or hard labouring or just pootling about the temp is the same. 

I only check it so often as I had a mk2 golf gti that had a dodgy oil cooler that needed watching so it's turned into a bit of a habit. 

Ambient temperature also has some effect I have noticed, at 110km/h on a relatively flat road with little wind, ambient of 15C oil temp sits at 95-98C, at ambient of 30C oil temp sits 102-105C (same road, same speed)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gadget007 said:

Ambient temperature also has some effect I have noticed, at 110km/h on a relatively flat road with little wind, ambient of 15C oil temp sits at 95-98C, at ambient of 30C oil temp sits 102-105C (same road, same speed)

True.Same here.