Expired MOT and ANPR cameras

Pudq1

6 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Yep. Also if it's not taxed or insured. Ingsoc. Big Brother is watching you :bandit:

I'm not 100% sure but I recall reading that no MOT invalidates your insurance and they only way you can drive a non mot'd car is to a pre-booked mot test ....

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yep and the insurance thing is probably a bigger worry now a days.

I always used to forget my mot dates, then have that moment of cold sweat when I did remember. Always felt like I'd be about to have an accident that moment...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

You're fine if going directly between the registered address and the MOT station. Your insurance allows this too. 

But the MOT must be pre booked. You can't use a drop in service to remain legal 

and no detours via Tesco/Asda/Aldi going or returning home if it fails

**  Other Supermarkets are Available **

• Like 2

Last year my wife forget to get her car mot'd. She only realised after 6 months had passed when she tried to tax her car. So for 6 months she was driving around on main roads and motorways and was never pulled over.

• Like 1

A friend of mine has been driving round in his van for the last 9 months without a MOT (not on purpose but still a silly thing to do) & he has never been stopped or sent anything through the post & he covers 30k a year,i always thought police traffic cars had this facility,he maybe has just been very lucky not to have been pulled over. *Van is now fully MOT'd & a reminder put onto his calendar so it doesnt happen again* I service & maintain the van but he always gets his MOT done himself at a local garage,id serviced it twice in that 9 months! 

• Like 1

Im now thinking it doesn't show on ANPR - only tax and insurance aswell as any 'markers' for previous 'crimes' (I do understand no/expired MOT invalidates the insurance)

It can not be invalidating the cover for 3rd party claims as the Insurance Company accepts the money to allow a vehicle on the road, 

The T&C's of the Insurance with the insured will require them to keep a vehicle in a roadworthy condition and legal to be on the road, ie have a MOT.

If an Insurance Underwriter needs to pay out on one of their customers with Invalid Insurance then that will be their choice to chace the Policy Holder on their losses.

The DfT / DVLA (UK Government) and the Police Forces in England / Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland seem to get their act together, 

then the Courts and the Law on not having VED, or Insurance / MOT, and then no change of Registered Keeper up to date.

The UK Government & Agencies do seem rather lax on so many things, once BREXIT has happened they might pull a finger out.

http://theferret.scot/revealed-scandal-missing-pollution-filters-diesel-cars 

Edited by Awayoffski

On 4/11/2017 at 07:28, Pudq1 said:

Im now thinking it doesn't show on ANPR - only tax and insurance aswell as any 'markers' for previous 'crimes' (I do understand no/expired MOT invalidates the insurance)

It does, it will ping on static and mobile (patrol vehicle) mounted cameras. You're more likely to get pulled if you get pinged by a mobile camera as that'll will ping on the in-car system. Static cameras will ping in the control room but there's that many alets for no MOT/Insurance/Crime/Disqualified markers they don't send us halfway across the county for MOTs. In the last few weeks I've come across people with MOTs that expired that last March, July, August and September. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seandesy1 said:

It does, it will ping on static and mobile (patrol vehicle) mounted cameras. You're more likely to get pulled if you get pinged by a mobile camera as that'll will ping on the in-car system. Static cameras will ping in the control room but there's that many alets for no MOT/Insurance/Crime/Disqualified markers they don't send us halfway across the county for MOTs. In the last few weeks I've come across people with MOTs that expired that last March, July, August and September. 

Is an expired MOT the least of your worries? Compared with no tax, no insurance and other serious crimes that are coming in over the radio?

52 minutes ago, Pudq1 said:

Is an expired MOT the least of your worries? Compared with no tax, no insurance and other serious crimes that are coming in over the radio?

No tax is the least of our worries, MOT's are a bit more worthy as we can do a full check of the vehicle for defects and prohibit it from the road if we find defects putting it into dangerous condition territory. However, we tend to stop most vehicles that ping the in-car cameras even if it is for no MOT as they're generally right there in front of us.

Out of interest, how out of date are we talking in relation to the MOT?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scuffer said:

No tax is the least of our worries, MOT's are a bit more worthy as we can do a full check of the vehicle for defects and prohibit it from the road if we find defects putting it into dangerous condition territory. However, we tend to stop most vehicles that ping the in-car cameras even if it is for no MOT as they're generally right there in front of us.

Out of interest, how out of date are we talking in relation to the MOT?

it was out of date by 4 days, I know it is not a lot in terms of duration but expired is expired right..

Just now, Pudq1 said:

it was out of date by 4 days, I know it is not a lot in terms of duration but expired is expired right..

what is the radius of the ANPR if a car has 4 cameras, 1 for each direction?

• 7 months later...

Just seen this as mine run out yesterday and been looking for a little info. Now i have the car booked in but my reputable and garage can't fit me in until wed. Now my dilemma is if i don't drive my car i can't get to work and if i can't get to work 1) i can't afford the MOT/repairs if needed and 2) possibility of loosing my job i only recently started. 

I also can't afford to pay for public transport as it will cost me at least £10 per day. I'm relay stuck between a rock and a hard place :( 

If i drive and pulled over what would i expect as an outcome? 

If you can’t afford to maintain your car and remain legal at all times, perhaps it’s time you sold it and buy a bus ticket pass with the proceeds..... especially if you’re that unorganised you left it this late in the day without the ability to immediately dip in your pocket and get done what’s needed. Plain stupid and irresponsible in my book. 

Go on, drive your car. With any luck you’ll get caught, have the book thrown and you and there will be one less moron on the road. 

Edited by jars
inappropriate word changed

Just now, gadgetman said:

The insurance is void without a valid MOT full stop. 

From my recollection (I’ve been out the game for a while now :tongueout:), I agree with george’s statement. They could choose to not, but still had the option to cover the third party.