PM statement at Number 10

Laurie61

19 minutes ago, trundlenut said:

People were given the option of staying in the EU,  or something else. Something else was chosen. 

Exactly. 

As much as that wasn't my option it's clear what some entrenched labour areas want. And soft brexit isn't it. 

Brexit IS the main reason for voters, especially leavers worried brexit will be reversed or watered down. 

They'll worry about the NHS, Education etc next time round once we're EU free. 

33 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Exactly. 

As much as that wasn't my option it's clear what some entrenched labour areas want. And soft brexit isn't it. 

Brexit IS the main reason for voters, especially leavers worried brexit will be reversed or watered down. 

They'll worry about the NHS, Education etc next time round once we're EU free. 

It's irrelevant,  they haven't been told what they voted for yet, and won't be until the back end of 2018. If the poles play out that's the case.

43 minutes ago, trundlenut said:

It's irrelevant,  they haven't been told what they voted for yet, and won't be until the back end of 2018. If the poles play out that's the case.

True, but they'll find out soon enough. 

THEN the unrest will kick in. 

With Labour having no chance, why aren't they making it a Brexit referendum as a point of difference rather than simply me too?.

Do you actually think Labour doing a U-Turn on Brexit would make any difference to them? May pick up a few voters but lose many times more and kill the party off for good.

Looking at last nights results in the local elections they have a lot of work to be done before the general election but I think it is way too late for that. The old faithful will continue to vote for them because their dad did and his before then not because they represent them now.

• Like 1

On 03/05/2017 at 05:19, lol-lol said:

Sort of thing I am hearing from the UK civil service 

On 04/05/2017 at 17:09, lol-lol said:

From what I am hearing most people       

You seem remarkably well connected?

28 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

You seem remarkably well connected?

What I can discuss is not even half of what is going on behind the scenes. Companies plan to cope with BREXIT are emerging and are starting to take shape and with companies like mine their trading after 29th March 19 will continue but only with radical new structures and flows.  

Edited by lol-lol

Where now for Labour? I can't see their results being a lot better in the general election than in the council elections. I reckon Corbyn has another four weeks of leadership followed by a long holiday.

1 hour ago, moley said:

Where now for Labour? I can't see their results being a lot better in the general election than in the council elections. I reckon Corbyn has another four weeks of leadership followed by a long holiday.

Nope, he'll manage to hang on. Farage managed it enough times himself 

1 hour ago, Lee01 said:

Pi55 poor turnout. Something like 26% I think it was. Voter apathy or just effed off with all the bullshi7 from the past 12 months?

The missus and I both voted for our local councillor, but refused to send in a vote for Mayor. We don't want Mayors with party political views. A Mayor should be above party politics, and so should Police Commissioners. Once one gets politicised police, then there is a danger of corruption such as one hears about in the USA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

?

Are you talking for the Local Elections, poor turn out where in particular?

From what I've read the average turnout for the UK local council elections was 26%. As that's an average, turnout was higher in some areas and lower in others.

1 hour ago, OldTrilobite said:

The missus and I both voted for our local councillor, but refused to send in a vote for Mayor. We don't want Mayors with party political views. A Mayor should be above party politics, and so should Police Commissioners. Once one gets politicised police, then there is a danger of corruption such as one hears about in the USA.

Totally agree.

Lee01, struggling to find that figure.  Any link to were you read that?

I am interested in where it is as in Scotland 16 & 17 year old were allowed to vote in the Local Council elections as they were in the Scottish Independence Referendum..

EDIT,

Found it. Does not read like the UK Average turnout.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39817224

Edited by Awayoffski

2 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Lee01, struggling to find that figure.  Any link to were you read that?

I am interested in where it is as in Scotland 16 & 17 year old were allowed to vote in the Local Council elections as they were in the Scottish Independence Referendum..

Overall, 26% of eligible voters chose a candidate with most people staying away from the polling stations on Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39817224

In a paragraph under the highlighted bit about West Midlands

22 hours ago, lol-lol said:

What I can discuss is not even half of what is going on behind the scenes.

I can only doff my cap in your direction; your opinions are undoubtedly wasted on an obscure forum like this, you should definitely aim higher.

And I'm being genuine.

1 hour ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

I can only doff my cap in your direction; your opinions are undoubtedly wasted on an obscure forum like this, you should definitely aim higher.

And I'm being genuine.

I get quite enough exposure through work on international trade issues and really do not want to spend a lot of my "free" time on BREXIT".  I am chairing one committee in Worcester on one of the main political agendas and a member of another working party so do not have much free time left to spend on forums that may be more focused on BREXIT, international trade etc but as I said I get enough of that in work and would be charging £2K a day on Big 4 rates although less with a International logistics operation but you would be looking to tie that to multi-million pound freight operations of course.

Briskoda is like popping down the local for chat for me, I have been a member for about 15 years and grown quite familiar with some of the posters.  At one time I thought there was  a great affinity as those of us you brought Skodas saw through the badge snobbery of buying Audis, BMWs, Mercs etc and I believed and still believe that the Skoda factories etc in the Czechoslovakian Republic, brought in from the cold from behind the iron curtain by the EU, to mutual benefit of bringing industry growth to CZ and proving great values cars to the rest of Europe was a another fine aspect of being a Skoda owner.  Of course now the value has dimished as VAG exploit the Skoda brand, the hot hatch line has gone with the value and other brands are now better value but there is still some interesting ideas chucked around here and Colin D has produced the best designed forum design that I have come across.

20 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Briskoda is like popping down the local for chat for me

You *could* always try "popping down the local for chat"?

Trouble with that, of course, is that you might end up with a smack in the mouth for your opinions.

Funny lot, the British......very set in their ways, particularly where politics is concerned.

Or were very set in their ways, then changed their minds and no longer tend to vote as their parents and family did.

Funnily the idea that the British Population was born in Britain is so long out of date, so last century.

47 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

You *could* always try "popping down the local for chat"?

Trouble with that, of course, is that you might end up with a smack in the mouth for your opinions.

Funny lot, the British......very set in their ways, particularly where politics is concerned.

Set in their ways or voting the way they're programmed to vote ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy

People in the UK still have to go into a polling station with a piece of paper and a pencil unless they are getting a postal vote.

They do not have to be in the UK obviously for many Elections or Referenda to make that vote.

If smart people can get the results others want then fair play, that is why you have Media Moguls and Advertising Moguls, they know how to persuade 

people to do something or another in the belief that is what they want.

Free world, free choices which is why so many want to be living or banking in the UK.