PM statement at Number 10

Laurie61

5 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Anyone can fiddle their taxes. I've come across people who have used their full tax allowances in more than one employment. Claim tax back on work related expenses that never happened. Drive a van for personal use and claim it's only taken home for security. 

Enforcement is the problem as more and more businesses are randomly checked by HMRC or it's a campaign against particular trades recent ones being plumbers and restaurants.

It was one of my favourite undercover operation "Test Eating" we called it for restaurants and a free tummy of food !  Pay in cash of course.

Also liked"Test Betting" when there was duty on course betting.  Picked long odds and hope to lose.  There was even a tic tack code for Excise Officers, do an X and then point to eye!

Doing the Knock the following days,  also use Another Means of Gaining Assurance (AMOGA) which should not go in to.

There are not the staff to do much more checks hence they use ex-Officers like myself to acquire AEO ie like an ISO standard for customs to the work for them but the result is user pays rather than get"free"help from the government.  

22 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Any chance of actually bringing this back round to the posted topic about TM thinking she can get a mandate she says she already has which was decided by the will of the people so that she can create a strong and stable government with a deep and special relationship with the EU?

Meanwhile, BoJo's sister has said she's converting to Lib Dem.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39739546

Remember. 'Strong and United'.

EU does not care one jot about the UK parliamentary election, though probably hoping the UK government is replaced by one not hell bent on self harm which will harm them also.

Frankly I will do my bit to help the electorate see sense but if they do not I will enjoy the next there years biulding the customs systems for BREXIT, we are calculating on between double and five time the customs business and companies such as Allport,(mine),CEVA, DHL, Expeditors, FEDEX and all the other International Logistics companies (pretty much all of us are mainland European, or US) will be very busy bunnies for the foreseeable.  

The 64 Billion pound question is what duty rates is the UK going to set, eh, eh?  Match the EU's?  Go Free Trade unilaterally  (that would just about kill of most of the UK car industry) or go simple ie 5% on almost everything except stuff we have to go zero on (GSP LDDC countries) ITA goods etc?  That is the biggy.  UK consumer will pay the price, UK gov collect the taxes via me.

Edited by lol-lol

Lol-lol, much of the damage that was done to HMRC was under Labour with the massive staff cuts as they were replaced with computerised systems and more filing became electronic. They also brought in the rules that the investigations had to reclaim more than they cost hence why lots of fraud never went any further. 

The online sales with goods coming into the EU has always been problematic with many transactions either being undervalued to avoid duty and vat or error. In a global market it's never going to be 100%. Within the EU it's much easier but doesn't stop individuals using a company VAT number to avoid VAT when the supplier uses reverse charges. In cases like this it's not HMRC fault for not detecting the supplier in another EU state hasn't identified the customer correctly but still UK has failed to collect the VAT. 

When did you leave HMRC?

7 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Lol-lol, much of the damage that was done to HMRC was under Labour with the massive staff cuts as they were replaced with computerised systems and more filing became electronic. They also brought in the rules that the investigations had to reclaim more than they cost hence why lots of fraud never went any further. 

The online sales with goods coming into the EU has always been problematic with many transactions either being undervalued to avoid duty and vat or error. In a global market it's never going to be 100%. Within the EU it's much easier but doesn't stop individuals using a company VAT number to avoid VAT when the supplier uses reverse charges. In cases like this it's not HMRC fault for not detecting the supplier in another EU state hasn't identified the customer correctly but still UK has failed to collect the VAT. 

When did you leave HMRC?

1997 I was headhunted and have continued to work with them as an acita, afss, jccc member as well as day to day went settling up cust wh, processing, cfsp, aeo etc.

1 minute ago, Ryeman said:

How narrowly do you want to define this thread?.

Don't know really...   Lol-lol has already gone off on one.  ;)

23 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Got any facts to quote rather than inane and empty comments?    

If you want facts on Labour balancing the books look no further than 19th November 1967 when Harold Wilson devalued the pound.

In 1967, Britain suffered a balance of payments crisis, spending (importing) more than it was earning (exporting). That made it crucial to keep the pound strong. The hitch was that supporting the pound was fast becoming unaffordable. The Bank of England burned through £200m in gold and foreign currency reserves in just one day alone.

Then go to September 1976 and Jim Callaghan borrowing from the IMF.

The left wing of the Labour Party defeated the Public Expenditure White Paper in the Commons in March 1976. Subsequently, Harold Wilson resigned and James Callaghan took over as Prime Minister. Around this time, investors became convinced that the pound was overvalued and that the government might devalue. A large-scale sale of sterling began, which rapidly lost value against the dollar.

Then Gordon sold off the gold reserves on the cheap.

Finally the note left in the treasury in 2010.

The former chief secretary to the Treasury, Liam Byrne, has reignited criticism of Labour's stewardship of the economy with a note for his successor which said "there's no money left".

• Like 1

None of it is difficult to understand it is just about Banking and Pyramid Banking and as with all Pyramid Selling Schemes you need to be in at the start and near the top of the Pyramid, or get born in or elected in with the case of Politicians.

(if wars are needed and countries invaded and millions of people displaced or killed then that is part of the business model.)

Spending on Defence or as it is Offence means lots of manufacturing and public spending, employment and opportunities for 

making money and laundering, bribes and back handers and wealth for many.

So politicians do well after leaving politics in Banking & Defence as Advisers / part of the establishment or just actually paid for services rendered while they were politicians.  Jobs for the boys and girls family and best buddies.

In the UK they can collect without passing go while still Public Servants and Civil Servants.

If caught out then go to the House of Lords.

Edited by Awayoffski

8 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Nr 10 is politics 

But what Boris's sister does is her shout and she is not an MP or member of Governement...   it is therefore a difference of opinion within a family so of little or no relevance...   ;-)

4 minutes ago, skomaz said:

But what Boris's sister does is her shout and she is not an MP or member of Governement...   it is therefore a difference of opinion within a family so of little or no relevance...   ;-)

The beeb obviously thought it was relevant 

Just now, Ryeman said:

The beeb obviously thought it was relevant 

But Lol-Lol raised it on here as if it was a massive issue - that was the point I was making - it's not - who cares???

Just now, skomaz said:

But Lol-Lol raised it on here as if it was a massive issue - that was the point I was making - it's not - who cares???

The mods are broad minded when it comes to relevance 

9 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

The mods are broad minded when it comes to relevance 

I know - I've been here a looooong time (2002 IIRC).

Anyhow - leave it now eh?

This week in politics;

Today many strong and stable tories said that the strong and stable conservative party isn't a 'one party issue' party citing many 'strong and stable' policies they have in place. Theresa may said to an empty room in a town she couldn't remember the name of, 'Britain needs a strong and stable government'. . Many of her MP's backed this with quotes such as 'stable and strong, strong and stable, and 'ummm ummm errr strong and errrr, what was the question again?' from Boris Johnson after being told his sister had defected to the Lib Dems.She (Theresa May) was also reported to say 'Britain needs to prevent tourism'. No plans to prevent tourism have so far been brought to Parliament by the Home Secretary. Meanwhile, many ****wits tweeted the BBC telling them they were appalled that a country with free speech allowed people to express free speech during The One Show.

And don't even get me started on the triple lock or the cuts to education or the worries of the NHS

Strong and stable, eh?

8 hours ago, Ryeman said:

.....of the comfortably well off, I guess.

9 hours ago, Lee01 said:

This week in politics;

Today many strong and stable tories said that the strong and stable conservative party isn't a 'one party issue' party citing many 'strong and stable' policies they have in place. Theresa may said to an empty room in a town she couldn't remember the name of, 'Britain needs a strong and stable government'. . Many of her MP's backed this with quotes such as 'stable and strong, strong and stable, and 'ummm ummm errr strong and errrr, what was the question again?' from Boris Johnson after being told his sister had defected to the Lib Dems.She (Theresa May) was also reported to say 'Britain needs to prevent tourism'. No plans to prevent tourism have so far been brought to Parliament by the Home Secretary. Meanwhile, many ****wits tweeted the BBC telling them they were appalled that a country with free speech allowed people to express free speech during The One Show.

And don't even get me started on the triple lock or the cuts to education or the worries of the NHS

Strong and stable, eh?

As long as you have private health care and education and a job in the private sector that pays above the higher rate tax threshold.

I'm surprised the Nordic countries manage to get by INSPITE of their seeming lack of exclusive private schools and health care.

How can they possibly be relatively happy?.

55 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

I'm surprised the Nordic countries manage to get by INSPITE of their seeming lack of exclusive private schools and health care.

How can they possibly be relatively happy?.

They're taxed heavily which is fed back into infrastructure. 

So yes there's no private health care, but technically they pay what the premiums would be in their taxes anyway. 

We could learn a lot from the Nordic and German tax systems. 

10 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

They're taxed heavily which is fed back into infrastructure. 

So yes there's no private health care, but technically they pay what the premiums would be in their taxes anyway. 

We could learn a lot from the Nordic and German tax systems. 

The fixation with lowering taxes is all about the theory of trickle down economics which Reagan used to justify his legup for the powerful and it's getting a replay if Trump has his way.

19 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

The fixation with lowering taxes is all about the theory of trickle down economics which Reagan used to justify his legup for the powerful and it's getting a replay if Trump has his way.

"The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefiting the poor. What happens instead is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger, but nothing ever comes out for the poor."

Pope Francis

• Like 1

Just now, Lee01 said:

"The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefiting the poor. What happens instead is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger, but nothing ever comes out for the poor."

Pope Francis

Or it's goes in the form of dividends to the investor class as well as increased bonuses to management.