PM statement at Number 10

Laurie61

Does anyone KNOW what their MP looks like, or any of the candidates / ever had an election canvasser at the door? I live in what is predominately a council estate and I suspect the Labour candidate takes us for granted/ the Tory bloke doesn't bother as he's not on friendly turf , and the Lib Demoprat can't read a map. But then ,for years locally we've had this dictat from Corbyn Towers ,that the candidate MUST be a woman.  Be it the best candidate or not. So either the Labour voters are disgusted and can't be bothered as they believe that candidates should be both male and female ( certain Labour high rankers think that candidates can be both :angry:) , and the TORY side implement the best for the job,so for a fuwe years we've had a Tory MP. Lib prats- they just take what they can get.

If we get a Tory Government ,expect the poor to get hit. Labour - the rich, and Lib dem - they don't care who they hit as long as it's not them selves.

Edited by VWD

20 minutes ago, VWD said:

Does anyone KNOW what their MP looks like, or any of the candidates / ever had an election canvasser at the door? I live in what is predominately a council estate and I suspect the Labour candidate takes us for granted/ the Tory bloke doesn't bother as he's not on friendly turf , and the Lib Demoprat can't read a map. But then ,for years locally we've had this dictat from Corbyn Towers ,that the candidate MUST be a woman.  Be it the best candidate or not. So either the Labour voters are disgusted and can't be bothered as they believe that candidates should be both male and female ( certain Labour high rankers think that candidates can be both :angry:) , and the TORY side implement the best for the job,so for a fuwe years we've had a Tory MP. Lib prats- they just take what they can get.

If we get a Tory Government ,expect the poor to get hit. Labour - the rich, and Lib dem - they don't care who they hit as long as it's not them selves.

Apart from when HS2 nearly ran through the village our current MP never bothers coming here. The conservatives seem to take our area for granted (which is correct,  based on the demographic).  UKIP however do show an interest, presumably as they think they'll steal votes from the conservatives.  Having met the UKIP brigade I can confirm they are a bunch of populist ****s. 

I don't imagine anything different this time around.

Interestingly the proposed boundary changes will likely push my constituency into labour's hands permanently,  not that it matters yet.

When I used to live in Wales in a big labour area there was never any sign of a candidate of any colour. As my neighbour said,  you voted labour because that's what you did.

I see my MP on TV quite regularly, normally flogging life insurance used to be Sainsbury's before that and a long time ago was on Coronation Street. I guess her acting career isn't going anywhere now so decided to go into politics taking over from the much respected Jo Cox. Yes, my MP is Tracy Brabin :sadsmile:

Same here. But since Labour started any flavour of candidate, as long as she's woman, they've rebelled. Or abstained. It's been Labour policy, pushed by the top for a long time, including the top man. And we all thought that Crows were intelligent.

6 minutes ago, trundlenut said:

Having met the UKIP brigade I can confirm they are a bunch of populist ****s. 

Only met the one before and when he helped me and elderly Asian man get a disabled lady up the steps to our voting station after some prat parked next to the door that used for wheelchair access. Shalid Malik (Labour) and another ex labour running as an independent, Khan, were there too and made some crap excuse that they couldn't help as it could influence her vote. 

On the way out Khan had gone, Malik ignored her. The UKIP guy and myself helped the same lady down the stairs. She thanked him and said she wished she could have voted for him if he'd been Labour and not UKIP. I left them chatting away to walk back to my car. The UKIP candidate was Aleks Lukic. 

1 minute ago, CWARD said:

Only met the one before and when he helped me and elderly Asian man get a disabled lady up the steps to our voting station after some prat parked next to the door that used for wheelchair access. Shalid Malik (Labour) and another ex labour running as an independent, Khan, were there too and made some crap excuse that they couldn't help as it could influence her vote. 

On the way out Khan had gone, Malik ignored her. The UKIP guy and myself helped the same lady down the stairs. She thanked him and said she wished she could have voted for him if he'd been Labour and not UKIP. I left them chatting away to walk back to my car. The UKIP candidate was Aleks Lukic. 

UKIP candidate turned up to an HS2 meeting with two cronies, one of whom had to be physically removed from the building as he just tried to shout down anyone who tried to comment or ask a question. Even then he kept leaning in the door and shouting until he was pushed out onto the road.

He was right in people's faces spittle flying.

The actual candidate stood by and watched and did nothing to stop him, made no apology and then said that HS2 was solely, completely and entirely the fault of the EU and that the UK government was legally required to build it and couldn't stop it. 

Another time I saw him he literally blamed the EU for everything that has ever happened anywhere at anytime. 

Labour=****

Tory=****

Lib Dems=couldn't even manage a ****

UKIP=****

Looks like I'm voting green this time, nope unrealistic **** if we need an economy. 

Did I hear Tony Blair is coming back into politics. ****er!

• Like 2

Wait a minute, there is another candidate with a sense of purpose, organisation, determination and regimented authoritarian style, who, like the Donald, believes certain forces are undermining his attempts to obtain a good showing on western ballot papers . . .trouble is they are:-

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3453080/thaad-us-missile-defence-system-south-korea-north-korea-nuclear-war-latest/

Nick

3 hours ago, Lee01 said:

That's fantastic, Someone has minuted a private meeting word for word and given the transcript to the press. If a newspaper has printed it,it must be true.

I liked the bit where Juncker pulled two piles of papers from his brief case in the middle of dinner.

9 hours ago, Lee01 said:

Sort of thing I am hearing from the UK civil service that 2nd Class May and the three clowns just do not get the complexity of the legal framework and therefore look to just falling out EU and further than that I would full expect Countervailing measures to be approved by the WTO in favour of the UK to recover unpaid monies so the UK would pay WTO plus rate of duties in to the EU.

What the UK does in retaliation on its customs duties, up to the WTO's MFN rates of course, is up to the UK government but will hurt the UK citizens who have to pay the store prices.     

If the UK current government is going to keep trying to pull Purdah as a reason for making no decisions between last week and the 9th June it clearly shows that Theresa May PM / MP should have called a General Election before Article 50 was enacted.

If she was not going to make decisions for the UK that were going to bind a future Government there was 8 months of time available.

They really are just career politicians that have had various positions in government that give them no particular skills in very much of anything other 

than tryin to keep their senior positions.

Dr Liam Fox MP failed in that previously, and then the males in the BREXIT gang of 5 have all been losers in trying to become Conservative & Unionist Party leaders. 

Not much of a success from any of them really rather than gaining personal wealth and seeing their nearest dearest and others close to them getting 

a good life at the Tax Payers expense.

8 hours ago, moley said:

That's fantastic, Someone has minuted a private meeting word for word and given the transcript to the press. If a newspaper has printed it,it must be true.

I liked the bit where Juncker pulled two piles of papers from his brief case in the middle of dinner.

In that case we need a strongly worded statement from our foreign secretary as to how unacceptable it is for the EU and foreign press to collude in inventing statements supposedly made by our government. Oh hang on...

• Like 1

They need to stop this carry on of Meals and meetings.

Alcohol should not be allowed in any form when these Heads of Governments, Unions & various minions are working for 'the people' 

as clearly some can not hold their drink, and loose tongues costs lives, or at least costs the tax payers.

Can they not have 3 meals a day at their own expense at meal times and when they want talks go into a Meeting room and talk.

(Plenty UK Cabinet Ministers and other MP's are only part timers anyway so let them give up time from their journalists jobs and directorships etc for eating and when being paid to run the country put a proper shift in.)

Maybe a few bottles of water on the table and space to sit and lean elbows on the table instead of this invites to dinner,

working breakfasts and other guff that snouters expect on the Gravy Train..

Edited by Awayoffski

@wvd - Ref your query from Monday, I not only know what Angus MacNeil looks like, but I've even met him since he does some of his own canvassing!

Oh and BTW I will not vote for any party that practices discriminatory candidate selection.

Ken- local Labour party has found this out to it's cost- but that hasn't stopped them. Two recent events, involve a County councillor moving down to local council - HE was sent in with a larger majority than his predecessor, and likewise the bloke who took his place- our retired MP. IMHO-it's the Harperson and her clones to blame.

Angus MacNeil MP & Stewart Hosie MP were the 2 that found the high life in London to their liking, sharing the same Journalists for a cozy up (at different times) and breaking up from their wives.

The SNP managed to win the 56 seats in Westminster last time and then 2 had to stand down from the SNP and are not getting to stand as SNP Candidates this time and others just seem to follow if you can not beat them join them and play the expense game as a MP in Westminster.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36392860 

Edited by Awayoffski

11 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Sort of thing I am hearing from the UK civil service that 2nd Class May and the three clowns just do not get the complexity of the legal framework and therefore look to just falling out EU and further than that I would full expect Countervailing measures to be approved by the WTO in favour of the UK to recover unpaid monies so the UK would pay WTO plus rate of duties in to the EU.

What the UK does in retaliation on its customs duties, up to the WTO's MFN rates of course, is up to the UK government but will hurt the UK citizens who have to pay the store prices.     

Corbyn doesn't have any brexit plan at all. 

His focus on appealing to the left and ignoring brexit will be his undoing. 

• Like 1

May seems a bit surprised that the EU are saying mean things about the UK government.  I can only assume she thought that no one in the EU watched TV or read print or online news, as that is the only way the EU could have failed to miss the months and months of unrelenting bombast, insults and venom UK politicians and press have been aiming at the EU and so wouldn't have thought of doing it back to us.

Or could it be that avoiding speaking to anyone who doesn't share her Brexit views since she became pm has left her a little confused about the world.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gadgetman said:

Corbyn doesn't have any brexit plan at all.      His focus on appealing to the left and ignoring brexit will be his undoing. 

25 Apr 2017

Labour would end free movement but not 'sever ties' with EU, Starmer says

Shadow Brexit secretary says party accepts referendum result but will not shut door on UK participation in EU agencies. Labour will not make controlling immigration the overarching priority as the UK leaves the EU but freedom of movement will have to end, the shadow Brexit secretary has said.  Revealing his party’s Brexit strategy, Keir Starmer said Theresa May’s approach to leaving the EU was “rigid and reckless”, putting the economy at risk.  Labour would seek to end free movement but not shut the door on the single market, the customs union or participation in EU agencies, Starmer added.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/24/labour-vows-to-rip-up-and-rethink-brexit-white-paper

Edited by lol-lol

10 hours ago, lol-lol said:

but not shut the door on the single market, the customs union or participation in EU agencies, Starmer added.

Which isn't what a lot of brexit labour voters voted for in the referendum. 

Labour really isn't listening to their voters. They need to stop focusing too much on their membership which represents a small number of their actual voting support. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Labour really isn't listening to their voters. They need to stop focusing too much on their membership which represents a small number of their actual voting support. 

From what I am hearing most people want to the control of the borders but do not want to lose the duty free access to the European market and bring about a whole host of costs in trading with the half billion people of main land Europe where nearly half of the UK current trade goes.

Either Cons or Labour will get the border control powers back as that what 51.8% of those that did vote wanted.

With Cons it looks like the UK will get hard BREXIT with an additional multi-billion pound bill of delivering our goods in to Europe plus billions added to landing the EU goods which the UK consumer will be paying

or

with Labour the softest BREXIT possibly which adheres to the border control but by working with the EU rather than threat etc to get the best possible access deal in lowest or zero tariffs but best possible customs procedures (its what I do and I work for the company that is the largest forwarder in France and is also one of the biggest in the UK) and get the slickest procedures possible to clear UK goods in to France etc which will reduce the impact on UK exporters to continental Europe.

The choice is yours and others, vote either way and we will have the power of border controls (The Cons hugely cut Border and Customs Officers in the nineties numbers have not risen much in the 7 years and many of ex-UKBA and HMRC colleagues are leaving in the next few years, but vote Cons and see inflation to continue to rise from zero last year to three percent currently to even higher and disposable incomes dwindle (except for those currently in the higher tax band etc) or minimize the impact by saying economically engaged with the EU.          

1 hour ago, gadgetman said:

People were given the option of staying in the EU,  or something else. Something else was chosen.